Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Rafferty  (Read 4880 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Bill Rafferty
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:47:21 PM »
Is is just me, or is Bill one of the most underrated hosts of the genre? I mean, he did a much better job w/ Card Sharks than Bob Eubanks, in my opinion. Blockbusters was also another good show that ended abruptly b/c it was empty space to fill before CC came along. Does anybody agree with me on this
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Bill Rafferty
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 11:47 AM\']Blockbusters was also another good show that ended abruptly b/c it was empty space to fill before CC came along. Does anybody agree with me on this
[snapback]88859[/snapback]
[/quote]
No.

It's been pretty well established here that had BB87 succeeded ratingswise, it wouldn't have been replaced by ClCn (not to say ClCn wouldn't have come along anyway).

This little thread from May 2005 should help clarify matters.

Doug
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 01:03:40 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:03:42 PM »
Also wouldn't Bill have been tapped as host for CC rather than Alex if all was well?  I just hope they had a bigger monitor for the players to look at on CC than they used for BB.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 01:06:47 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 02:03:11 PM »
I see that, but does anybody else think that he was an underrated host?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 03:51:43 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 01:03 PM\']I see that, but does anybody else think that he was an underrated host?
[snapback]88866[/snapback]
[/quote]

He was OK. I liked his dry wit, however, he repeated phrases way too much, like "dual implication." And he also had a tendency to mention that every question was a jump-in.
But he deserved another chance at another show, I'll give him that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 03:51 PM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 01:03 PM\']I see that, but does anybody else think that he was an underrated host?
[snapback]88866[/snapback]
[/quote]

He was OK. I liked his dry wit, however, he repeated phrases way too much, like "dual implication." And he also had a tendency to mention that every question was a jump-in.
But he deserved another chance at another show, I'll give him that.
[snapback]88886[/snapback]
[/quote]
One thing I notice quite a lot watching CS, is how many times he mispeaks (calls something wrong, stutters, etc...)

I'm especially shocked that a lot of this stuff didn't get edited or reshot, considering the quality control Goodson was known for.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

beatlefreak84

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 09:56:08 PM »
Personally, I think he definitely was an underrated host.  Yes, he made the typical "rookie mistakes" of misspeaking, forgetting whose turn it was, etc., but almost every game show host does this.  And, yes, I consider him a "rookie" on BB 87 and CS because all of his shows lasted at most a year; not enough time to really find a niche in the game show world, IMO.

However, he definitely has a good command of the contestants and the overall game around him, which is a lot more than can be said about some hosts.

Need I bring up the names Chris Wylde or Rolf Benirschke?  At least Rafferty proved himself a very capable host, and, yes, I would've loved to see him host more shows.  It's just too bad no one picked him up afterwards.

Was he ever considered for any other game shows besides ESC, CS, or BB 87?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

zachhoran

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 10:02:32 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 08:56 PM\']

Was he ever considered for any other game shows besides ESC, CS, or BB 87?

Anthony
[snapback]89072[/snapback]
[/quote]

He did two pilots after CS and BB ended, Run for the MOney for Grundy(taped on the set of the UK version of the same show) in 1987, and a show whose title escapes me for syndication in 1988(a ticket for the pilot showed up on Ebay recently)