Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VH1--Game Shows Gone Bananas #2  (Read 4573 times)

gaubster2

VH1--Game Shows Gone Bananas #2
« on: May 29, 2005, 02:52:56 AM »
In the TPIR clip where they played Lucky Seven, I noticed that Janice is blurred out while sitting in the car.  Is there any GOOD reason why?

BTW, Randy, it's good to hear your voice again on these specials!

Chris

tvrandywest

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 07:25:57 AM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' date=\'May 28 2005, 10:52 PM\']In the TPIR clip where they played Lucky Seven, I noticed that Janice is blurred out while sitting in the car.  Is there any GOOD reason why?

Chris
[snapback]86878[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks Chris! There's a reason, but I doubt you'd call it GOOD.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 07:48:51 AM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' date=\'May 29 2005, 01:52 AM\']In the TPIR clip where they played Lucky Seven, I noticed that Janice is blurred out while sitting in the car.  Is there any GOOD reason why?

Chris
[/quote]

I suspect Barker and/or Fremantle not wanting to pay the one cent residual to laid off staff has something to do with it.

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 08:11:44 AM »
I don't remember seeing the blur, but that's too funny.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 08:12:10 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Robair

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 04:52:16 PM »
Or it could be that Janice did not clear her appearance on the show. I am more in the other camp as with what Randy originally alluded to. Unless there is more than that (and I ain't waitin' till August to hear it from you at the bar...)

Could also explain why there were no modeling moments or bloopers on the year's first two MDS shows.

It's happening a lot more on these clip shows where people are being obliterated. I saw one show recently where a goodly portion of the people are pixeled out.

No, wait, that was "Cops"...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 04:53:35 PM by Robair »
--Robair

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »
Back on the "Most Outrageous Game Show Moments" specials... all of the Hollywood Squares clips had a good number of the celebrities blurred out... and the name from the front of their squares blacked out completely.

Maybe they just didn't want to have any part of the specials.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

mandelweb

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 06:15:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' date=\'May 29 2005, 01:52 AM\']In the TPIR clip where they played Lucky Seven, I noticed that Janice is blurred out while sitting in the car.  Is there any GOOD reason why?

Chris
[/quote]

Actually...the Barker Beauty sitting in the car was Dian.   And for those keeping score, the clip was from a 1979 nighttime episode of "Price."

- Mandel
Mandelweb.com 2.0

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 08:22:19 PM »
Back on the "Most Outrageous Game Show Moments" specials... all of the Hollywood Squares clips had a good number of the celebrities blurred out... and the name from the front of their squares blacked out completely.

Maybe they just didn't want to have any part of the specials.

Or maybe the production company didn't figure it was necessary tracking all of those stars down to get permission to use the clips  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

gaubster2

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 01:11:52 PM »
Well, that makes a little more sense.  ;)

Thanks, Mandel, for the clarification!

14gameshows

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »
which brings me to a question.  Say for instance, GSN and CBS came to an agreement to show old eps of TPIR, would Fremantle have to get clearance from the past Barker Beauties to show their respective episodes?  I've never understood this issue, going back to the Hollywood Squares celebrities blurred thing.  I thought once you signed a contract to appear on the show, that production company has all rights to use your image, voice, and personally for that show for that time period you are on the show and for future usage.

Can we get some clarification on this.

Could you imagine watching old eps of Price with blurred models walking around on stage???

inturnaround

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »
Well, because they've show reruns before, I'd wager it's an issue of not wanting to pay residuals to every bit of talent that was on camera for those clips. Because they're presumably union, they're entitled to be cut a check every time they pop up on screen. If you blur them, you don't owe them.

I don't know if it's personal or not with TPiR, but it seems to be a way  to save a few bucks.

Does anyone know if additional clearance is needed to repurpose portions of the talent's performance? (Yes, I know...that was needlessly wordy)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 03:15:21 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 03:48:20 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'May 31 2005, 02:00 PM\']which brings me to a question.  Say for instance, GSN and CBS came to an agreement to show old eps of TPIR, would Fremantle have to get clearance from the past Barker Beauties to show their respective episodes?  I've never understood this issue, going back to the Hollywood Squares celebrities blurred thing.  I thought once you signed a contract to appear on the show, that production company has all rights to use your image, voice, and personally for that show for that time period you are on the show and for future usage.

[snapback]87211[/snapback]
[/quote]

That just applies to contestants, who don't get on the show unless they sign the release stating those things.  In the case of performing union members, some agreement has to be made for residual payments.

Allegedly, that was taken care of when All-American licensed "TPIR" to GSN back in 1997.  Janice, Anitra, Dian and Holly (and Barker, Johnny O's estate and Rod) gave their permission for the shows to be aired in exchange for the paltry residuals and they were.  I suspect that there were intramural reasons for blurring Dian, especially considering that it seems that the general rule for clip shows, established by Gil Fates in the "WML?" 25th anniversary show, is that no one gets residuals if their total clip time is less than two minutes.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 04:21:49 PM »
that was taken care of when All-American licensed "TPIR" to GSN back in 1997. Janice, Anitra, Dian and Holly (and Barker, Johnny O's estate and Rod) gave their permission for the shows to be aired
The reason the above-mentioned individuals, as well as hundreds of other AFTRA performers, had to execute new releases is that at the time, talent releases didn't cover cable. In 1979 no one envisioned a Hangnail Network on cable much less a Game Show Network. You could show clips of Dian ad nauseam on CBS (broadcast) but not on GSN (cable).