Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Today's TV Game Show Almanac  (Read 3908 times)

AH3RD

Today's TV Game Show Almanac
« on: June 20, 2005, 02:35:52 PM »
The Hollywood Squares, Heatter-Quigley's tic-tac-toe game of the stars, took the big leap on NBC, following a sensational 14-season, 3,536-telecast run, making it the second longest-running game show in NBC Daytime history (right after 1958-73's Concentration!). Host Peter Marshall tried to assure viewers that "we're going to have some fun!" on the finale, but several jokes and comments (funny or not) seemed directed at The Peacock Network and Fred Silverman, at the time its head of programming. (Gameshow-hater Silverman, interestingly enough, originally turned down The Hollywood Squares as an addition to the CBS Daytime schedule in his days as H.O.P. of The Eye Network, and now here he was, 14 years later, committing herry-kerry on some games on The Peacock's Daytime schedule!)

Celebrities serving on the original HS grid for the finale were Rose Marie, Tom Poston, Michelle Lee, Charlie Callas, Vincent Price, Leslie Uggams, George Gobel, Marty Allen, and Wayland Flowers & Madame (center square, since Paul Lynde had left the show by this point in a dispute, and, surprisingly enough, no direct mention of him was made on the final show!).  George Gobel was the last daytime Secret Square but no one picked him during that game. The Secret Square on the NBC final show was worth over $9000 per Kenny Williams' opening words.

Wayland and Madame were heavily criticized for taking up too much precious time on The Hollywood Squares' final show, at times even getting host Marshall's goat as he desperately attempted to hasten the show's pace for its duration since a new car was at stake; sadly, time ran out before the contestants got a chance, but Marshall made up for it by giving them a shot at the bonus prize. The finale's fading minutes found Peter Marshall bringing the stars and the production staff on camera to introduce them (including producers Merrill Heatter and Bob Quigley), and made special references in his departing speech:

"I want to thank all of the stars of the past, and people like Wally Cox and Charley Weaver, and folks like that that we miss terribly, but thank God for The George Gobels and...all the people who do our show. So, on behalf of the staff of Heatter-Quigley, and of all these people who work here at NBC---and they are the best!---we may be #3, but if we get another show like ours, they we can be #1 again!

"So, on behalf of everybody, and on behalf of my wife Sally, and my 6 children and my 2 grandchildren, thank
you! You have made us the hit that we have been! Thank you out there! You are the ones who have been responsible!"

The Hollywood Squares was one of 3 game shows plucked from the NBC Daytime schedule to make room for David Letterman's ill-fated 90-minute daytime show (ironically, Letterman had earlier on appeared as one of The Squares!): the others were The New High Rollers, another Heatter-Quigley staple, and Chain Reaction. Its syndicated primetime version continued for one more year, with Paul Lynde returning to his old center square, expanding to five nights a week, and switching operations from NBC Studio 3 in Burbank to The Riveria Hotel in Las Vegas. (Another popular game show shares the honor with The Hollywood Squares of defecting to Las Vegas: Let's Make A Deal, whose host, Monty Hall, was another one of The Squares!) Lynde would leave the show again, but return for a walk-on in the syndication finale. And George Gobel was once again the last ever center square.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 04:28:08 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 02:50:53 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 20 2005, 01:35 PM\'](ironically, Letterman had earlier on appeared as one of The Squares[/quote]
How is that ironic? I find that coincidental, more than anything.

another Heatter-Quigley staple (its final program featured Alex Trebek appearing a mite tipsy!)

And it's been said he wasn't.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 03:02:06 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 20 2005, 01:35 PM\']and Chain Reaction
[snapback]89520[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which would return to new production six years later starring Blake Emmons!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 03:02:35 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 03:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 20 2005, 11:35 AM\']committing herry-kerry on some games
[/quote]
Herry Kerry. I loved listening to him call Chicago Cubs games.
(its final program featured Alex Trebek appearing a mite tipsy!),
Thank you so much for the great service you are providing to the game show community....

...by perpetuating the most idiotic of rumors.

These are _really_ getting sloppy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rugrats1

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 03:36:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 20 2005, 02:31 PM\']Thank you so much for the great service you are providing to the game show community....

...by perpetuating the most idiotic of rumors.
[/quote]

Considering that he merely repeats what he said last year in the "Almanac", I'm not surprised.

Alex's High Rollers finale is a game show urban legend that refuses to die. Because the rumors are perpetually in "reruns".

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 03:44:52 PM »
I want you to rewrite this with the Blake Emmons reference. The Secret Square on the NBC final show was worth over $9000 per Kenny Williams' opening words. Rewrite! Begin at once.