Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The *worst* Game Show Ever  (Read 41421 times)

WorldClassRob

The *worst* Game Show Ever
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2005, 11:58:21 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 29 2005, 01:21 AM\'][quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'May 28 2005, 10:58 PM\']I too thought that "Time Machine" should've lasted longer than it did...in the beginning it was sort of like "The Price Is Right", but instead of guessing prices, it involves guessing years, events, music, etc; and had three different games each day, and the end game was like the TPIR showcase, more or less.
[/quote]
It might have had a shot if Davidson weren't such a perfectly awful host, and if there were a little more variety to the games that they played.
[snapback]86873[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yea, Davidson was not exactly what I had in mind to host...but really all of the vets were already hosting something; unless that is you do what Alex Trebek did years later and host two game shows at once.

As for variety, well, TPIR started out that way too back in '72, and in time more games were added and it had (and still has) a great host in Bob Barker.  If TM enjoyed a longer run, then perhaps there would've been more games and a bit more variety than it began with.

WhammyPower

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2005, 12:15:48 PM »
I don't know how this game's even SYNDICATED, but "Go For It! TV" seems to suck balls.  I mean, it's probably the only game to have a MUSICAL PERFORMANCE that isn't part of the game itself!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2005, 03:41:37 PM »
Putting on my armor, after watching that Bee clip - I agree that compared to most shows we see, it's absolutely abysmal - like a bad cable access show. But I had to give it some props for what it was trying to do - if it's aimed at kids 12 and under, and it's teaching proper spelling and grammar, go for it! The judging was a little too liberal (former Pyramid refs??), but, hey - I'd rate it against Sesame Street instead of The Price Is Right.

The host is Sinatra?? Being a Frank fan, that was good for a chuckle.

jalman

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2005, 05:33:31 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'May 29 2005, 02:41 PM\']Putting on my armor, after watching that Bee clip - I agree that compared to most shows we see, it's absolutely abysmal - like a bad cable access show. But I had to give it some props for what it was trying to do - if it's aimed at kids 12 and under, and it's teaching proper spelling and grammar, go for it! The judging was a little too liberal (former Pyramid refs??), but, hey - I'd rate it against Sesame Street instead of The Price Is Right.
[/quote]

Have some spare armor?  I think of "Bee" as more of an educational show than a game show.  While it would be an improvement to see more money and effort put onto the show, the production values of the other original shows on BFC aren't much better.  Speaking of improvements, they seemed to have made an actual theme song that's slightly better than the old looping theme.  Despite its poor execution, I really don't mind Thousand Dollar Bee because it's one of the few examples that provides educational content to Black kids instead of numbing them with music videos.

A what-if comes to mind:  what if Bill Cosby financed BFC instead of Townsend?

WhammyPower

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2005, 05:49:08 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'May 29 2005, 04:33 PM\']A what-if comes to mind:  what if Bill Cosby financed BFC instead of Townsend?
[snapback]86944[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then all we'd see are clips of Kids Say the Darndest Things.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2005, 08:26:35 PM »
Yea, Davidson was not exactly what I had in mind to host...but really all of the vets were already hosting something; unless that is you do what Alex Trebek did years later and host two game shows at once.

Three - "Jeopardy", "Classic Concentration", "To Tell the Truth".  In the '70s and '80s, they had a rule where a host could do one show on the network and one in syndication simultaniously.  I guess that rule must have been waved by 1990 to allow Trebek to host two shows on NBC at the same time.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2005, 03:52:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 29 2005, 05:26 PM\']In the '70s and '80s, they had a rule where a host could do one show on the network and one in syndication simultaniously.  I guess that rule must have been waved by 1990 to allow Trebek to host two shows on NBC at the same time.
[/quote]
I offer you two choices...either:

1) cite where you get the information about this "rule", or

2) explain how at one point Dick Clark was doing the daytime Pyramid, the nighttime Pyramid, Bloopers & Practical Jokes, and American Bandstand, all at the same time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2005, 08:55:03 AM »
2) explain how at one point Dick Clark was doing the daytime Pyramid, the nighttime Pyramid, Bloopers & Practical Jokes, and American Bandstand, all at the same time.

Because it only applied to game shows.  Until Trebek in 1990, there was never a host who was hosting more than one network and one syndicated show at the same time.  It's been reported quite frequently about how certain shows had to look for different host because the one they wanted was already doing shows on the network and in syndication.
NEW LOCATION!!!

SamJ93

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2005, 10:38:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 30 2005, 08:55 AM\']

Because it only applied to game shows.  Until Trebek in 1990, there was never a host who was hosting more than one network and one syndicated show at the same time.  It's been reported quite frequently about how certain shows had to look for different host because the one they wanted was already doing shows on the network and in syndication.
[snapback]87000[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wouldn't take that as indication of any "rules" against hosting more one show at a time.  Something like "the taping schedules conflict/the host doesn't want to drive across town to a different studio every day" are more plausible explanations...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2005, 11:43:32 AM »
It probably was more of a contractual thing more than a rule.  Generally, hosts had one show in syndication and one on network.  The only exception I can think of was Bill Cullen, who hosted two shows in syndication in the 78-79 season.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TonicBH

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2005, 01:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'May 27 2005, 05:53 PM\']I sacrificed both another half hour of my life, as well as a perfectly good episode of Super Password this afternoon in order to tape The Thousand Dollar Bee.  An 8 minute compilation video, including the entire final segment and end credits, can be found at http://www.classicgameshows.com/video/1000dollarbee.wmv  The video is 16 MB in size.

Don't blame me; I'm just the messenger.
[snapback]86755[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought I saw bad game shows like Baby Races. This clip takes the cake almost tenfold.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2005, 01:55:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 30 2005, 05:55 AM\']Because it only applied to game shows.  Until Trebek in 1990, there was never a host who was hosting more than one network and one syndicated show at the same time.  It's been reported quite frequently about how certain shows had to look for different host because the one they wanted was already doing shows on the network and in syndication.
[/quote]
Fair point, if completely asinine that anyone thinking logically would allow themselves to believe that a rule about talent was enforced on game shows and not on other types of television. I still think you are speaking wholly ex rectum, and would like to see the citation for said "rule".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 01:56:21 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

digiblader

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2005, 03:02:25 PM »
After seeing that clip of Thousand Dollar Bee.. boy that bee mascot there sounds really annoying!

And the intro with the bee saying "Thousand Dollar Bee" almost would hurt your ears.. too squeaky!

Worse, the set is so lame, it makes the graphics used on the show better than the set itself.. of course I still have more to download so I'll update if necessary.. but my preliminary idea is that this show sucks.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »
I still think you are speaking wholly ex rectum, and would like to see the citation for said "rule".

It was probably an unwritten rule - or as Jimmy suggested, a contractual rule - but consider:

--Jim Lange hosting the 1984 "Newlywed Game" Valentine's Week of shows on ABC because Bob Eubanks was doing "Dream House" on NBC

--Bill Rafferty hosting nighttime "Card Sharks" in 1986 because Eubanks was doing "Newlywed Game"

--Tom Kennedy hosting the nighttime "Name That Tune" in 1974 because Dennis James was doing "Price is Right"

--Jack Barry hosting nighttime "Break the Bank" in 1976 because Tom Kennedy was doing "Name That Tune"

--Bob Barker not taking over nighttime "Price is Right" hosting duties until after the syndicated "Truth or Consequences" had ended

Outside of Trebek in 1990, can you think of another occasion where it happened?  When you look at the shows with different hosts daytime and nighttime, this always seemed to apply.
NEW LOCATION!!!

rugrats1

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2005, 05:04:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 30 2005, 03:59 PM\']It was probably an unwritten rule - or as Jimmy suggested, a contractual rule - but consider:

--Tom Kennedy hosting the nighttime "Name That Tune" in 1974 because Dennis James was doing "Price is Right"

[/quote]

And vice-versa -- Dennis James hosting daytime "Tune" on NBC in 1974, as Tom Kennedy was still hosting "Split Second" on ABC.