Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Least Emotional GS Hosts...  (Read 10813 times)

saussage

Least Emotional GS Hosts...
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 09:56:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 04:42 PM\']although some people on this board think that I'm hittin' the sauce quite often with the feedback I provide :)

Right clemon79? ;)
[/quote]
Not once have I ever thought you were intoxicated while posting.
[snapback]87564[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm just joking around with you although I feel like Foster Brooks at times :)

I don't really drink but some who have read my comments must think that I might be on something. At least I'm not on the same stuff that Paul Reudens was on when he did YDKJ... I would cringe what he could've done if he knew when the last taping occured. :)
What a finale that would've been. He'd problably have a Donald Trump transplant yelling at everyone after the show was done: "YOU'RE FIRED!" then he'd say the same to himself :)

I seem to be a little out there compared to some with my opinions but that's probably because I'm not in the biz and can be nutty as a fruitcake :)

Hey! Who wants some cereal? 100 posts! Woohoo. Time for a new sig.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2005, 10:15:41 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 06:56 PM\']I seem to be a little out there compared to some with my opinions but that's probably because I'm not in the biz and can be nutty as a fruitcake :)
[/quote]
I don't think you're insane, either.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

saussage

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005, 10:36:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 09:15 PM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 06:56 PM\']I seem to be a little out there compared to some with my opinions but that's probably because I'm not in the biz and can be nutty as a fruitcake :)
[/quote]
I don't think you're insane, either.
[snapback]87581[/snapback]
[/quote]
Common... work with me. :)

What am I then?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2005, 10:45:04 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 07:36 PM\']What am I then?
[/quote]
Y'ever watch "That 70's Show"?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 10:46:17 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSFan

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 10:57:25 AM »
I remember being in the audience at the last taping of the original Jeopapdy in 1975.  Don Pardo introduced Art Fleming for the "5,375th time" or however many episodes they taped.  It was a pleasant enough episode with a few clips.  I don't remember if Merv Griffin made an appearance.

I do remember the final "Final Jeopardy."  In the category "American Literature", the answer was, "This heroine ended her story by saying, Tomorrow is another day."

At the end, Art Fleming thanked everybody and the final credit roll ran over a shot of a darkened stage with a lamp lit.  Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" was playing over the credits.

That I remember this thrity years later is mind boggling.

Happy Friday!

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

Don Howard

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 11:08:05 AM »
To take this another route, an example of an overblown finale would be Bill Anderson and Sarah Purcell at the close of The Better Sex. The show was on for six months--seemingly one minute for every month was taken up for the farewell serenade.
In 1985, Richard Dawson did everything but take credit for world peace as Family Feud wrapped.
Loved the Chain Reaction closing show. The "musical chairs" Instant Reaction round followed by the final chain indicating the cancellation was worthy of the time capsule.

uncamark

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 12:06:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 10:08 AM\']To take this another route, an example of an overblown finale would be Bill Anderson and Sarah Purcell at the close of The Better Sex. The show was on for six months--seemingly one minute for every month was taken up for the farewell serenade.
[snapback]87651[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which got cut in the Eastern and Central time zones (and probably Pacific) for an extra-long ABC daytime promo, anyway.  (We just saw the stage darkened, the contestants sitting on the steps and Bill and Sarah thanking everyone, with Bill's guitar in plain sight, so we knew what get cut.)

saussage

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 09:33:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 09:45 PM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 07:36 PM\']What am I then?
[/quote]
Y'ever watch "That 70's Show"?
[snapback]87587[/snapback]
[/quote]
Unfortunatly I don't really watch it but if it's the part where there's a circle of friends in the basement, I know EXACTLY what you mean :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:33:54 PM by saussage »

whewfan

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 10:30:06 PM »
While Bob Eubanks was choked up at the ABC NG finale and the CS finale, he didn't show any real emotion for the syndie NG finale (where he walked away with the NG sign) the Dream House finale or the Trivia Trap finale. My best guess for this was, with NG, the show had 8 years on ABC and 3 years in syndication... a nice run. As for Dream House, Bob said in an interview that he had a hunch the show wouldn't work, because they gave away a LOT more furniture than houses, and he said they should've called the show "Dream Furniture".  As for Trivia Trap, he didn't understand the logic of eliminating all the wrong answers, when you KNOW the right answer. The idea was, the "trap" was the right answer, which the team tried to avoid. The first format, on some occasions, meant for a quick game, leaving Bob to fill a lot of time at the end of the show. When they changed the format to where the teammates had to each pick the CORRECT answer, the "trap" aspect was gone. Also, the true/false format didn't fit in at all. They should've changed the show's title.

I think for the CS finale, the hardest thing to talk about was Carole Costello, a contestant coordinator that died during the run of CS. It was obvious that Bob was close to the CS staff on and off camera.

The MG syndie finale was interesting. Gene never acknowledged it was the last show, but the antics were more outrageous than usual, and the answers were also edgier. Mc.Lean mentioned having a cold. A contestant insisted on kissing him, and Betty White commented "May I suggest you pass that on to Richard Dawson?" This was one of the FEW shots the panel took at Richard since he left the show. If they knew it was the last show, Gene couldn't really say it because the weeks aired out of the order they were taped.

uncamark

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2005, 04:02:30 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 09:30 PM\']While Bob Eubanks was choked up at the ABC NG finale and the CS finale, he didn't show any real emotion for the syndie NG finale (where he walked away with the NG sign) the Dream House finale or the Trivia Trap finale. My best guess for this was, with NG, the show had 8 years on ABC and 3 years in syndication... a nice run.
[snapback]87752[/snapback]
[/quote]

More likely, since Barris abruptly shut down production on all of his shows in early 1980, the last "TNG" taping day was just another day at the office for Eubanks--neither he nor anyone else on the staff knew that they were going to be out of work.  And besides, since the shows were bicycled, they would be running out of order almost everywhere, anyway.  A lot of syndicated shows have had uneventful last shows for that reason (or because of long lead times between taping and the decision to end production).