Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show series' presumed lost...  (Read 3704 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Game Show series' presumed lost...
« on: May 10, 2005, 11:23:59 PM »
Curt's post in another thread really got me thinking about all of the series' which we've presumed were totally wiped out, but at least one episode DOES exist.

So to settle any further spread of misinformation that there are no remnants of the following shows, not to mention those which have been listed elsewhere, at least one of each of these exists for certain:

Amateur's Guide to Love
Anniversary Game
Call My Bluff (GSN could show this, it's in broadcast quality)
Chain Letter
Face the Facts
Music Bingo
Musical Chairs (original 1950s summer replacement version)
One in a Million (again, GSN would have rights since Merv produced it)
Pay Cards
Ted Mack's Amateur Hour
What's This Song?
Your Surprise Package

And before y'all get any ideas, I don't currently have the majority of these in my possession. Some of them are even being guarded with dear life by the collector and they refused to let them go. The list of episodes of previously buried series' seems to grow weekly. Who knows what'll pop up next?

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 11:33:32 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

dizzy

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:44:33 PM »
I couldn't care less about any of those shows. I just want the original Cross-wits with Jack Clark to be found. It's the one game show that I think would still do very well today in reruns.

5 years of shows can't just vanish, can they?

Dizzy

Blanquepage

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:46:40 PM »
How could I forget CrossWits? You're in luck; at least one exists as well, one which is different from the episode in the MT&R.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 11:47:31 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:54:14 PM »
*I* certainly care about seeing Chain Letter and Call My Bluff, especially if they're in color (never got to see "Bluff" in color and only caught "Chain" once or twice in color when we bought our first such set), as well as "Pay Cards!" (gotta hear those music cues again) and "Face The Facts" which was locally bumped in Des Moines.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

mystery7

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 12:31:40 AM »
Music Bingo would be interesting since it was hosted by Johnny Gilbert, who sang on the show occasionally. And What's This Song? has general historic game show interest since it was Wink Martindale's first show.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 01:13:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'May 10 2005, 10:23 PM\']Curt's post in another thread really got me thinking about all of the series' which we've presumed were totally wiped out, but at least one episode DOES exist.

So to settle any further spread of misinformation that there are no remnants of the following shows, not to mention those which have been listed elsewhere, at least one of each of these exists for certain:

Ted Mack's Amateur Hour

[snapback]84993[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. says it has 550 kinescopes of the Original Amateur Hour dating from 1948 to 1968.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 05:00:30 AM »
Funny you guys should mention Pay Cards.  I remember seeing that show from a Canadian station back when I was little.  That was one neat show.

I wouldn't mind seeing One In A Million if GSN ever decide to do a special B&W Overnight of obscure shows if that show's availabke to air.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 08:06:09 AM »
Stu of Shokus Video has at least one episode of Ted Mack in his Video Variety section.

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 08:17:04 AM »
Craig - you probably mean Super Pay Cards! which aired on CHCH Hamilton for years and years in the 80's...

Ryan.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 09:17:53 AM »
It's always surprising to me what turns up as we go - whether it's CBS "Joker's Wild" on GSN, "Spin-Off" in a vault, or even an episode of "Hot Seat" in the trade curcuit - Jamie's probably right, there's a lot more out there than we know of.  I'm just happy that at least one episode exists of the rare shows that we already have - at least it gives you an opportunity to see an episode of it.

There was an interesting discussion on this sort of thing a few months ago

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?show...654&#entry73654

(I hope I did that right).  The thread was called "Missing Master Tapes" and talked about a lot of series presumed lost.

Let's hope more becomes available in the future!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Blanquepage

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »
Interesting, I wasn't aware that Ted Mack could be purchased.
A contact of mine directed me to this link as well:

http://www.tvdays.com/gameshows.htm

Lo and behold, there's Ted Mack, along with what I presume are two unsold 50s game show pilots.

--Jamie

Mike Tennant

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 11:21:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'May 11 2005, 11:28 AM\']Interesting, I wasn't aware that Ted Mack could be purchased.
[snapback]85042[/snapback]
[/quote]
Everyone has his price.