Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Play-at-Home Element  (Read 5386 times)

Robert Hutchinson

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 06:39:40 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:23 PM\']First WC subject nailed, camera cuts to the shot of the pyramid and the next subject swings around and we hear applause.  Is my assumption correct that the applause is McKenzied and not heard by the participants, or is the applause legit and audible (and thus, potentially distracting)?[/quote]

If it's not the actual audience, then it's still done live in some fashion--note what happens when the applause sign/Mackenzie operator isn't listening as closely as the judge is, and thinks he hears a correct response.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 08:03:17 PM »
Despite my astounding lack of sports trivia knowledge, I still found myself interested in "2 Minute Drill" and... that other sports trivia game show that was on around the same time. I forgot its name.

Anyway, even though I was shouting exactly zero answers at my TV, I still enjoyed watching the contestants test their knowledge. I guess it's kind of like why a lot of people watch gymnastics and figure skating -- they want to see how well each participant will do. Of course, you need either interesting participants or a solid game format to make it work.

--
Scott Robinson

ChuckNet

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 08:15:34 PM »
Would have (and believe me, there were a lot of afternoons of me playing "host" to a lot of other games), but we didn't get Bill's version of Pyramid in Knoxville.

Matt never told me he was an underpriviledged child. :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 08:21:19 PM »
I did the same thing with my folks. My mother and I were a pretty good team, but my father never could grasp the concept of "putting the items in the list" together.

Your dad would've done well on the UK's early 90s "Pyramid Game"...ANY kind of clue, short of mentioning the answer, was perfectly acceptable.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 08:56:46 AM »
Your dad would've done well on the UK's early 90s "Pyramid Game"...ANY kind of clue, short of mentioning the answer, was perfectly acceptable.

Yeah...that surprised me.  When the host explained the rules, it seemed they wanted them to give just a list, but it seems like anything goes as they didn't buzz anything.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Fedya

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 10:12:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'May 4 2005, 12:11 PM\']I realize the home viewer can't dress in a floor-length gown and borrow Kitty Carlisle's earrings,
[snapback]84342[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why not?  I bet you'd look fabulous in a floor-length gown, Neumms.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 01:46:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 3 2005, 11:46 PM\']Here's what shoots a hole in that: I am fast becoming a fan of "Stump The Schwab." [/quote]
I'm interested that someone finds this show enjoyable at all.  I don't find myself rooting for any of the contestants; they're drier than a hamburger at Wendy's.  I also don't find myself rooting for the Schwab--who's visited the buffet line at Golden Corral one too many times.  It's hard to identify with anyone on the series...Stuart Scott needs to head back to Sportscenter.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 03:22:11 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 04:01:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 6 2005, 12:46 AM\']I'm interested that someone finds this show enjoyable at all.  I don't find myself rooting for any of the contestants; they're drier than a hamburger at Wendy's.  I also don't find myself rooting for the Schwab--who's visited the buffet line at Golden Corral one too many times.[/quote]

Ha ha ha! He's fat! Line of the Millennium!

I've always gotten some enjoyment out of watching people who have stuff like that memorized, and/or can dredge it up from what they know about sports history.

BrandonFG

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 04:05:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 6 2005, 12:46 AM\']Stuart Scott needs to head back to Sportscenter.
[snapback]84574[/snapback]
[/quote]

Only if he stops trying to turn every single show into Soul Train. He's really trying too hard to sound hip. Sad thing is, the epidemic is spreading throughout the ESPN studios.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 04:18:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'May 6 2005, 03:01 PM\']
I've always gotten some enjoyment out of watching people who have stuff like that memorized, and/or can dredge it up from what they know about sports history.
[snapback]84614[/snapback]
[/quote]

Friend of Zach, are ya?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Robert Hutchinson

The Play-at-Home Element
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 04:21:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 6 2005, 03:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'May 6 2005, 03:01 PM\']
[snapback]84614[/snapback]
[/quote]

Friend of Zach, are ya?
[/quote]

Append "on a game show, on which they are being asked to do said dredging" to my last post. Thanks.