Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Do You Trust?  (Read 3029 times)

Jimmy Owen

Who Do You Trust?
« on: April 27, 2005, 03:39:15 PM »
Timeless Music has a new DVD available called "The Johnny Carson Show" which has 2 eps of his CBS variety show, one Jack Benny with JC as guest, a promo film for Budwiser and one episode of "Who Do You Trust." from kinescope.

I bought the DVD at a Meijer store in Michigan and it's a good find for game show buffs.  Included within the WDYT are somewhat dry promos (by today's standards) for John Daly's ABC News, "Chance for Romance" with John C. Swayze and George Fenneman's "Anybody Can Play."   The presence of a promo for CfR dates the episode as somewhere between October and December of 1958.  Ed McMahon announces; pretty good show.  Carson is fantastic as host.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

snowpeck

Who Do You Trust?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 04:14:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 03:39 PM\']Timeless Music has a new DVD available called "The Johnny Carson Show" which has 2 eps of his CBS variety show, one Jack Benny with JC as guest, a promo film for Budwiser and one episode of "Who Do You Trust." from kinescope.

I bought the DVD at a Meijer store in Michigan and it's a good find for game show buffs.  Included within the WDYT are somewhat dry promos (by today's standards) for John Daly's ABC News, "Chance for Romance" with John C. Swayze and George Fenneman's "Anybody Can Play."   The presence of a promo for CfR dates the episode as somewhere between October and December of 1958.  Ed McMahon announces; pretty good show.  Carson is fantastic as host.
[snapback]83546[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I recently saw that at Wal-Mart in the $5.88 bin.  The same company also has a set out featuring a mish-mash of classic shows, and among them are episodes of You Bet Your Life, Twenty-One, This Is Your Life, and Name That Tune.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

Who Do You Trust?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 04:18:11 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 04:14 PM\']...and Name That Tune.[/quote]
Really?  I wasn't aware of any original NTT episodes that had made their way to the public.  That alone would be an interesting thing to see.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

Who Do You Trust?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:40:31 PM »
I'm aware of one episode of NTT out there that I taped off a low-power tv station, a summer "compilation" episode with George DeWitt introducing clips of the highlights of the season. If it's a different episode, I'd like to know. One thing that was interesting - here in Grand Rapids, a toy and game dealer mentioned offhand that his mom had been on NTT and passed on too young not long after. Most of the clips included his mom's visit, and it was a joy to make copies so they could enjoy their mom in a happy moment one more time. I could stand a clean copy of that one instead of the fuzzy one I have if it's the same show.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Who Do You Trust?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 06:43:07 PM »
I'm aware of one episode of NTT out there that I taped off a low-power tv station, a summer "compilation" episode with George DeWitt introducing clips of the highlights of the season. If it's a different episode, I'd like to know

I can tell you that it's possible that it's different as there IS another episode of Dewitt's version other than the retrospective episode...

EDIT: Upon checking, I'm pretty sure that the DVD set entitled "Classic Television" is in fact the source from which this "other episode" comes. Simply put, order now! :-D

--Jamie
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:00:04 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Who Do You Trust?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 03:16:47 AM »
I just confirmed with my source, and this other episode apparently did NOT come from this DVD set after all. However, there is another one out there waiting to be acquired by traders.

--Jamie