Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, FL closing  (Read 7028 times)

CarbonCpy

Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, FL closing
« on: April 24, 2005, 10:52:37 PM »
Source:
http://www.universal-excitement.com/forum/...topic.php?t=395

Seeing as how they've moved (nearly?) all of their live-action shows to Los Angeles, it makes sense.  But still, even though it's been nearly a decade since Nick had anything approaching "glory days," this just kinda makes it a little more official.  I guess.  

Does anyone know if Bob Boden's in the market for an Olmec?  'Cause I got dibs if he isn't.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 10:54:56 PM »
You can have Olmec. I have dibs on Summer Sanders.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:46:45 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 09:54 PM\']You can have Olmec. I have dibs on Summer Sanders.
[snapback]83171[/snapback]
[/quote]

Did you not learn anything from Mary Kay Letourneau?

Besides, Summer's mine. You can get the Agro-Crag.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dizzy

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:57:58 AM »
There was a time during the early 90's when it looked like Orlando was going to become Hollywood East. Programs such as Family Double Dare and NBC's Family Secrets with Bob Eubanks were shot there among many others. It appears that 10 years later Orlando did not become the hotbed for television that some thought it would.

Dizzy

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 04:24:52 AM »
It's ashame that Nick Orlando is closing its doors.  That defihitely was a hotbed for nost kids shows.

Speaking of props from the studio, I'll go with the Pie Machine from What Would You Do?

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 08:19:40 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 09:54 PM\']You can have Olmec. I have dibs on Summer Sanders.
[/quote]

You take Olmec........I'll take the whole damn temple. :-P
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 08:21:47 AM »
Normally I would dismiss this unless there was another more reputible source, but amusement park information is generally speaking, fairly accurate.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

CarbonCpy

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 10:36:18 AM »
[quote name=\'RobertSearcy\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 07:19 AM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 09:54 PM\']You can have Olmec. I have dibs on Summer Sanders.
[/quote]

[snapback]83199[/snapback]
[/quote]

With the temple guards.  Right.  Have fun getting to your car each morning, unless you remember to get that other half of the pendant of life off your dresser each morning.

Olmec, on the other hand, would be a pretty damn useful thing to have because I'd sit him right by my door, and any time I lose anything like my car keys, I'd just ask Olmec to tell me the legend of whatever it is I can't find.  

He'd ramble on for a few minutes, and then he'd say something like "The car keys can be found in the SHRINE of the SILVER MONKEY."  I'd then check under the couch.

jmangin

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 11:07:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 04:24 AM\']I'll go with the Pie Machine from What Would You Do?
[snapback]83196[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's the Pie Pod :)

Marc:  "How many pies are we going to give him, audience?"  
Audience:  "FOUR! FOUR! FOUR!"

davewalls

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 11:13:13 AM »
Such a shame to hear about the closing. As someone who grew up in the Nickelodeon hayday, seeing all the tapings at WHYY in Philadelphia, I found it sad, but not surprising. I last was in Orlando last October, and found the studios to be a shell of their former self. Orange paint chipping, no actual "tour" anymore, quick 10 minute stage show...In other words, nothing special.

Just another sign of how far Nickelodeon has fallen. Wonder what happens to that "time capsule" they buried there back in 1990 (or 1991).
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 11:39:51 AM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 09:36 AM\']With the temple guards.  Right.  Have fun getting to your car each morning, unless you remember to get that other half of the pendant of life off your dresser each morning.
[snapback]83205[/snapback]
[/quote]

lol I keep both pendants of life with me at all times when I go out. :-P

ObGameShows (or at least an awful attempt at that):  The Shrine of the Silver Monkey could actually take you down into one of the lower rooms if those doors opened, but most contestants I don't think noticed that and went on into another room if the item to be grabbed outta the temple was in one of those lower rooms.
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 12:42:48 PM »
Outside of the obvious problems of another entertainment conglomerate owning their home, I have the feeling that Nick found out that the possible savings in using non-union crews--the main reason for having production facilities in right-to-work state Florida other than promotion--were offset by the costs in bringing talent and creative staff in from other places and putting them up during taping schedules.  Yes, and the fact that they aren't really doing that many shows with studio audiences anymore (and the former Aquarius Theatre, or "Nick on Sunset" in LA, is all they need for those shows).

I have the feeling that there's probably a juicy screenplay/play script/one-person show out there about life in the Nick talent condos in Orlando back in the day.  Perhaps Moira Quirk can do a one-woman show on that (if she can incorporate her juggling).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 01:21:31 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 07:36 AM\'][quote name=\'RobertSearcy\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 07:19 AM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 09:54 PM\']You can have Olmec. I have dibs on Summer Sanders.
[/quote]

[snapback]83199[/snapback]
[/quote]
Olmec, on the other hand, would be a pretty damn useful thing to have because I'd sit him right by my door, and any time I lose anything like my car keys, I'd just ask Olmec to tell me the legend of whatever it is I can't find.  

He'd ramble on for a few minutes, and then he'd say something like "The car keys can be found in the SHRINE of the SILVER MONKEY."  I'd then check under the couch.
[snapback]83205[/snapback]
[/quote]
Okay. That's funny. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jmangin

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 01:51:25 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 10:52 PM\']Does anyone know if Bob Boden's in the market for an Olmec?  'Cause I got dibs if he isn't.
[snapback]83170[/snapback]
[/quote]

I doubt the person who voiced Olmec is busy lately...

Maybe you can get him to dress up as Grandma Crumudgeon and have him speak in the Olmec voice, or vice versa.

(If you don't get the joke, the same Dee Baker who announced/assisted on STYD was the announcer/voice of Olmec on LotHT)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 03:56:49 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 01:51 PM\'][quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 10:52 PM\']Does anyone know if Bob Boden's in the market for an Olmec?  'Cause I got dibs if he isn't.[/quote]

I doubt the person who voiced Olmec is busy lately...[/quote]
He's the voice of a German fish (with a name eerily similar to my last name) on FOX's much-hyped cartoon, American Dad.

(No WHOOSH! necessary.  I know where Jake was going.  I'm adding pertinent additional info.)