Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR alert  (Read 5068 times)

tvwxman

TPIR alert
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 06:40:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 11:32 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 05:55 PM\']because a game show is ALWAYS more important than the burial arrangements for the Pope![/quote]
I think I could make a pretty good argument that it is. How any dead person's burial arrangements are more important than *anything* that people genuinely enjoy is beyond me.
[snapback]80555[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're kidding, right? Please? I'm hoping?

Your comments, amongst other things, are insensitive to ANYONE who's life in and out of religion, was affected by the Pope. I'd like to know the next time you have to bury a relative, what game shows you'll be taping while you're at the funeral parlor discussing arrangements.

It's a friggin game show. Period. The Pope was (and is) a world leader who has affected MILLIONs of lives. Not mine, mind you, but even I can appreciate how many people were in awe of this man....

Bottom line: It's an important story. The Price is Right isn't.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 06:47:34 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

CarShark

TPIR alert
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 10:30:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 11:32 PM\']I think I could make a pretty good argument that it is. How any dead person's burial arrangements are more important than *anything* that people genuinely enjoy is beyond me.
[/quote]
Because we aren't supposed to enjoy ourselves while we still can when someone else we don't know is upset in any way, shape or form. That makes us "insensitive". Homosexuals and violated children also have stop their lives. We all have to be brought down as a country. It's unity at its best. Goodness knows that's not why the 12:00 news was made, or why we have 32 cable news channels.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 11:05:44 AM by CarShark »

dzinkin

TPIR alert
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 11:19:02 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 10:30 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 11:32 PM\']I think I could make a pretty good argument that it is. How any dead person's burial arrangements are more important than *anything* that people genuinely enjoy is beyond me.
[/quote]
Because we aren't supposed to enjoy ourselves while we still can when someone else we don't know is upset in any way, shape or form. That makes us "insensitive". Homosexuals and violated children also have stop their lives. We all have to be brought down as a country. It's unity at its best. Goodness knows that's not why the 12:00 news was made, or why we have 32 cable news channels.
[snapback]80590[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thank you, Thad Dixon.

Please show us where anyone said that you weren't supposed to enjoy yourself because there are people who mourn the loss of the Pope.  CBS obviously decided that it was more important to cover a man millions of people -- including many who are not Catholic -- admired than to run a game show that can be shown any time.  I personally wouldn't be in tears if, say, Jimmy Carter were to pass away tomorrow, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't respect those who were and understand their sense of loss.  And I would sure as hell understand that covering that story would be far more important than a game show.

While you may not agree with CBS's judgment, I fail to see any requirement that you watch CBS.  The same cable system that gives you "32 cable news channels" also gives you many, many more channels where you can find all kinds of entertainment.  And unless GSN has formed a news department since I last checked, that includes (gasp!) game shows.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 11:21:31 AM by dzinkin »

CarShark

TPIR alert
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 12:30:28 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 10:19 AM\']And I would sure as hell understand that covering that story would be far more important than a game show.[/quote]But you can cover the story at any time that day. You have a news show coming up an hour later, for crying out loud. This coverage, the Ronald Reagan coverage, election coverage, and pretty much anything in Bush's press conferences could be mentioned in part or whole later, but they always choose to pre-empt TPiR, and the coverage is rarely worth the effort. I guess that's where some of my frustration comes from. The rest comes from CBS not showing pre-empted shows during rerun weeks.

And unless GSN has formed a news department since I last checked, that includes (gasp!) game shows.
[snapback]80594[/snapback]
In the daytime GSN is the Home Shopping Network. That beef I take to Comcast.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:43:32 PM by CarShark »

dzinkin

TPIR alert
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 12:40:42 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 12:30 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 10:19 AM\']And I would sure as hell understand that covering that story would be far more important than a game show.[/quote]But you can cover the story at any time. You have a news show coming up an hour later, for crying out loud. This coverage, the Ronald Reagan coverage, election coverage, and pretty much anything in Bush's press conferences could be mentioned in part or whole later, but they always choose to pre-empt TPiR, and the coverage is rarely worth the effort. I guess that's where some of my frustration comes from.
[/quote]
Are we talking about actual news happening (even if it's just a press conference), or CBS deliberately holding a story and waiting to break in until TPIR comes on?  If it's the former I don't see what choice CBS has if it wants to cover a story live, but if it's the latter I don't get it either, unless CBS is waiting until most of its East Coast affiliates aren't airing syndicated programming.

As for why it's always TPIR, here's an educated guess: ticking off the TPIR viewers is going to cause CBS less grief than ticking off soap fans -- especially since each TPIR episode is self-contained, something you obviously can't say about soaps.  For what it's worth, if news happens to break when The Young and the Brainless is airing, I would hope stations would break in then as well.

And unless GSN has formed a news department since I last checked, that includes (gasp!) game shows.
[snapback]80594[/snapback]
In the daytime GSN is the Home Shopping Network. That beef I take to Comcast.
[snapback]80603[/snapback]
And you would have my full blessing on that. :-)

joe_capitano

TPIR alert
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 02:12:24 PM »
As the one who files the daily recap on another site, let me add something that seems to be lost in all this:

(Forgive me, but Shout mode on)

THE PAPAL FUNERAL IS AT 4 AM NEW YORK TIME FRIDAY!!!
IT WILL BE OVER AND DONE WITH BY THE TIME PRICE COMES ON!!!

(shout mode off)

Further, the Conclave will happen during a rerun week. That will mitigate the effects of seeing a puff of smoke rising from the Sistine rather than Rachel or Brandi or Shane pointing at a car - at least a little bit. I don't expect to see too many interruptions until then. You shouldn't, either.

So, all you people who get in a snit when your daily Barker fix isn't on, chill.

passwordplus

TPIR alert
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 02:29:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 07:55 PM\'][quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 05:30 PM\']Wouldn't it be funny if it ended in a Double Overbid today?
[snapback]80493[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh so freakin' hilarious, because a game show is ALWAYS more important than the burial arrangements for the Pope! Funnier than Don Howard, Chris Lemon, and I on Whose Line is it Anyway! I tell you, I would've pissed myself if it had been a double overbid! No I probably would've shit a brick from laughing so hard! W00t! The only thing funnier is if someone had bid $42069 on the Showcase! W00t r0xx0rs GIT-R-DUNNNNNN!!!! :D :D :D
[snapback]80529[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nou dat wuz uh funi!!!!!

You should try out for Comedy Central. Seriously, where in the hell did CarShark get the notion that pre empted episodes haven't been shown. Take a couple weeks ago for example, the episode that was pre empted on 1/21(Pres. Inaugural) was show that day. Now you can't flame Horan for this one when CarShark wrote it!

Steve McClellan

TPIR alert
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 02:58:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 03:40 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 11:32 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 05:55 PM\']because a game show is ALWAYS more important than the burial arrangements for the Pope![/quote]
I think I could make a pretty good argument that it is. How any dead person's burial arrangements are more important than *anything* that people genuinely enjoy is beyond me.
[/quote]

You're kidding, right? Please? I'm hoping?

Your comments, amongst other things, are insensitive to ANYONE who's life in and out of religion, was affected by the Pope. I'd like to know the next time you have to bury a relative, what game shows you'll be taping while you're at the funeral parlor discussing arrangements.

It's a friggin game show. Period. The Pope was (and is) a world leader who has affected MILLIONs of lives. Not mine, mind you, but even I can appreciate how many people were in awe of this man....

Bottom line: It's an important story. The Price is Right isn't.
[snapback]80566[/snapback]
[/quote]
Since it seems that my character is being called into question, I feel compelled to respond. Since I can't do so effectively without getting further into the religious arena than the mods here would like, my reply is located at a forum where we're more free to discuss.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR alert
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 03:00:47 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 05:55 PM\']Funnier than Don Howard, Chris Lemon, and I on Whose Line is it Anyway!
[/quote]
As long as I get to bat cleanup in the Hoedown. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

TPIR alert
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 03:21:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 02:58 PM\']Since it seems that my character is being called into question,
[snapback]80632[/snapback]
[/quote]
I won't speak for Matt (he's more than qualified to speak for himself, as any Game Show Forum member and any resident of the Hartford-New Haven DMA knows), but I didn't see anyone's character being called into question.  As I saw it, your priorities were called into question, and rightly so.

You may not have respect for the pontiff, but others do, and as I told CarShark, no one's forcing you to watch (for that matter, I won't be watching either).  Enough people do care that the decision to pre-empt was an obvious one.

Steve McClellan

TPIR alert
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 03:31:21 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 12:21 PM\']I won't speak for Matt (he's more than qualified to speak for himself, as any Game Show Forum member and any resident of the Hartford-New Haven DMA knows), but I didn't see anyone's character being called into question.  As I saw it, your priorities were called into question, and rightly so.

You may not have respect for the pontiff, but others do, and as I told CarShark, no one's forcing you to watch (for that matter, I won't be watching either).  Enough people do care that the decision to pre-empt was an obvious one.
[snapback]80636[/snapback]
[/quote]
Fair enough; I was including priorities as a portion of character, which my dictionary seems to back me up on. And I wasn't disagreeing with CBS's decision, just letting people know that there's another position out there that can be argued for, as well as mourning the state of society that caused said preemption decision to be the correct one to make.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR alert
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 10:56:41 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 01:29 PM\']Seriously, where in the hell did CarShark get the notion that pre empted episodes haven't been shown.
[snapback]80618[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, I dunno...perhaps from the fact that not a single episode of Price that was interrupted on the East Coast this season has been rerun.

[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 01:29 PM\']Take a couple weeks ago for example, the episode that was pre empted on 1/21(Pres. Inaugural) was show that day. Now you can't flame Horan for this one when CarShark wrote it!
[snapback]80618[/snapback]
[/quote]
That is a completely different situation.  January twentieth was a full-show pre-emption -- Price wasn't even transmitted by CBS that day.  They knew beforehand that the show wouldn't be seen anywhere, so they just rescheduled the episode before the fact.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:34:49 PM by Steve Gavazzi »