Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is This Irony?  (Read 3155 times)

joshg

Is This Irony?
« on: August 02, 2003, 10:17:23 AM »
While killing time during the Rick Dees Weekly Top 40, I searched that fine Game Show Compendium for some sites on 'Hollywood Squares'. I came upon this episode guide for the Davidson 'Squares': http://www.xanfan.com/celebrities/squares86.htm

Here's the ironic part: Look at week 93. Notice Fred Silverman is on the panel. Didn't he kill the original 'HS'? Sometimes it's the little things...

Counting them down, he's Rick Dees...

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

TraderRob

Is This Irony?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 12:02:13 PM »
During that entire week, the front of Fred's square had the facade of a TV set, so it looked as if he was on TV.  On one of his questions each day, John would ask him a TV-related question and a different special effect was used (i.e. B&W, snowy picture, jumping horizontal hold, etc) to modify his image.  

It's a good thing Wayland and Madame weren't on!   She'd have been looking for the off switch! :-)

Rob

zachhoran

Is This Irony?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 07:38:05 PM »
Rick ROsner was really smokin' when the best he could get for a celeb was Fred Silverman. The question was, WHAT was he smokin'

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Is This Irony?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 12:18:07 AM »
This being the same HSq that used Brandon Tartikoff as a square. He was pretty bored-looking throughout and was given lame scheduling questions throughout the week I saw him in.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ChuckNet

Is This Irony?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 01:44:02 PM »
Rick ROsner was really smokin' when the best he could get for a celeb was Fred Silverman. The question was, WHAT was he smokin'

They would use behind-the-scenes folk quite a bit on HS...didn't Stephen J. Cannell also do a wk of shows?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

uncamark

Is This Irony?
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 02:28:12 PM »
They would use behind-the-scenes folk quite a bit on HS...didn't Stephen J. Cannell also do a wk of shows?

Yep--with his typewriter next to him in the square.

In Cannell's case, since Rick Rosner started out in scripted television (he created \"CHiPs,\" in case you forgot), he may've worked with Cannell back when he started and decided to have him on as a payback for a past favor--after all, Cannell was seen every week at the end of his shows by millions of viewers tearing the sheet of paper out of the typewriter and throwing it in the air, so he could be considered a recognizable celeb.

And yes, Rosner did \"Caesar's Challenge\" for Cannell's production company.

zachhoran

Is This Irony?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 08:07:13 PM »
And Rosner and Cannell(and current WOF and J! producer Harry Friedman) also worked together on Personals.