Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Losers  (Read 7407 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Losers
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 01:53:35 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 11:28 AM\']Believe it or not, I've been toying with just such an idea for a couple of years.  I question whether it would require isolation booths, and it would probably function a bit differently scoring wise.  I envisioned a strike system instead of lifelines.
[snapback]73486[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, I've been toying with just such an idea for about five minutes. :) You prolly wouldn't need the booths, I just think they would look cool, and it would allow players to invoke a PAF without the other players seeing what's happening. (You could prolly accomplish the same thing with flats between the players, like on Greed.)

You gotta have at least the base three Lifelines, because those are the trademark of Millionaire.

As soon as I sent the message, I started thinking about it, and I think a strike system would help to draw the tournament out over several days. Make it real simple: three wrong answers, and yer done. Wanna make it more interesting psychologically? Announce to the other players whenever someone has two strikes, but don't tell them who.

I dunno. This is all quick and dirty thinking, and I'm sure it could and should be refined if the Millionaire people decided they wanted to try it. But it's for sure an interesting notion.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tomobrien

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 02:39:45 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 11:33 AM\']  I had read that during the prime time version, the producers focus grouped or did a survey about the champions of Millionaire tournament and found out that people didn't like the idea of big winners winning more money.
[snapback]73476[/snapback]
[/quote]

*&^%@  focus groups!

CliffColeclough

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 02:42:55 PM »
Was there an episode where given the choice of which item was the largest - the women choose Elephant.  Even though The Moon was also an option?

sshuffield70

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 04:19:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 12:53 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 11:28 AM\']Believe it or not, I've been toying with just such an idea for a couple of years.  I question whether it would require isolation booths, and it would probably function a bit differently scoring wise.  I envisioned a strike system instead of lifelines.
[snapback]73486[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, I've been toying with just such an idea for about five minutes. :) You prolly wouldn't need the booths, I just think they would look cool, and it would allow players to invoke a PAF without the other players seeing what's happening. (You could prolly accomplish the same thing with flats between the players, like on Greed.)

You gotta have at least the base three Lifelines, because those are the trademark of Millionaire.

As soon as I sent the message, I started thinking about it, and I think a strike system would help to draw the tournament out over several days. Make it real simple: three wrong answers, and yer done. Wanna make it more interesting psychologically? Announce to the other players whenever someone has two strikes, but don't tell them who.

I dunno. This is all quick and dirty thinking, and I'm sure it could and should be refined if the Millionaire people decided they wanted to try it. But it's for sure an interesting notion.
[snapback]73490[/snapback]
[/quote]

Using a standard stack of 15, put 10 people in the Ring Of Fire.  Put a time limit on the questions (say 30 sec for first 5, 60 secs for second 5, 2 minutes for 11-14, and if you get to 15, say three minutes or walk.)  I had originally thought the strike system would go all the way through, but then said nah!  Make it 14, and put the 15th out by itself.  Standard Millionaire rules otherwise apply (players could vote to walk, and if everyone else voted to walk or struck out, the walk players split the money.)  Question 15, if 2 or more players were left, the million would go to the correct "fastest finger".

You're correct in your belief that, in this version, more money would be given away.  That's the downside to it.  But it would allow players to compete on "Millionaire" directly instead of the "Hot Seat" format.  And if someone wanted to put it in PT, you could run 2 full games consistently per hour.

clemon79

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 05:16:56 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 02:19 PM\'] Question 15, if 2 or more players were left, the million would go to the correct "fastest finger".
[/quote]
Wow. You believe in the shootout in hockey, too, don't you?

To each their own, but that really isn't how I would do it.

StevensM

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 06:08:07 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 12:33 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 01:29 AM\']By my count, they've had enough $250,000+ winners to have a Return of the Champions week, too...two winners, two with $500k, a dozen or so with $250k...it'd be great.
[snapback]73447[/snapback]
[/quote]
I wouldn't hold my breath.  I had read that during the prime time version, the producers focus grouped or did a survey about the champions of Millionaire tournament and found out that people didn't like the idea of big winners winning more money.
[snapback]73476[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's probably why they did only one Champions' Edition during the original run of the show.  Personally I would be interested in seeing the players come back for normal games but not for a tournament as some have described.  Though such a tournament would be neat, it might be better to do it outside of the Millionaire format since it would be tough to keep the show Millionaire with all of the changes proposed.

davemackey

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 12:05:03 PM »
Check out Show Summaries - I forget the date, but within the last two weeks there was a lady who missed the $100 question and this past week some other lady missed the $200 question.

Gromit

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 06:35:19 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 11:25 AM\']Now, if Millionaire were to develop a format where the former champions all sat in a Deluxe Ring Of Fire or something (think, a bunch of isolation booths), and worked off of the same stack of questions (using lifelines individually and when desired, according to the game rules), last man standing wins, that could be something interesting...
[snapback]73485[/snapback]
[/quote]

I like that idea, actually. So much of Millionaire has always been "Yeah, his stack was dead easy, mine was tough...".

sshuffield70

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 02:28:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 05:35 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 11:25 AM\']Now, if Millionaire were to develop a format where the former champions all sat in a Deluxe Ring Of Fire or something (think, a bunch of isolation booths), and worked off of the same stack of questions (using lifelines individually and when desired, according to the game rules), last man standing wins, that could be something interesting...
[/quote]

I like that idea, actually. So much of Millionaire has always been "Yeah, his stack was dead easy, mine was tough...".
[snapback]73586[/snapback]
[/quote]

We've heard that line so many times.  A format like the one Gromit asked for and a few of us offered up can solve that problem in a hurry.

fsk

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 09:50:36 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 02:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 05:35 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 11:25 AM\']Now, if Millionaire were to develop a format where the former champions all sat in a Deluxe Ring Of Fire or something (think, a bunch of isolation booths), and worked off of the same stack of questions (using lifelines individually and when desired, according to the game rules), last man standing wins, that could be something interesting...
[/quote]

[snapback]73586[/snapback]
[/quote]

We've heard that line so many times.  A format like the one Gromit asked for and a few of us offered up can solve that problem in a hurry.
[snapback]73597[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wouldn't that game be called "Win Ben Stein's Money", except with harder questions, higher stakes, and the lifelines?

clemon79

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »
[quote name=\'fsk\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 07:50 PM\']Wouldn't that game be called "Win Ben Stein's Money", except with harder questions, higher stakes, and the lifelines?
[snapback]73762[/snapback]
[/quote]
No.