Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune ETHS. Next Sunday at 8.  (Read 22145 times)

Kevin Prather

Wheel of Fortune ETHS. Next Sunday at 8.
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2005, 01:01:34 AM »
Line of the day comes from Merv Griffin.

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Goen...
Goen who?
Go and hmmm yourself.

SamPrainito

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2005, 02:45:29 AM »
There were a few things that surprised me in the show:

For starters, the footage and stills from the pilots and early years of the were a real treat.  

But the thing that really surprised me was that Mark Goodson tried to "steal" Susan Stafford away from the show.  Let's suppose for a moment that Susan did make the jump to TPIR, then I assume Holly Holstrom never would have been hired.  

Also, A GUY UNDER THE WHEEL!?  I can't believe Standards & Practices let them get away with that.  Anyone care to explain that one?

-Sam

joe_capitano

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2005, 03:33:40 AM »
Good show tonight. Lots of stuff I didn't know. That bit about Goodson and Price surprised me, too. But Susan's no dummy.

So, which would you take?

PRICE: No billing, little interaction with the host, mostly just stand there and point at stuff and look cute...

or WHEEL: Host introduces you, walk through a curtain to applause (OK, partially the canned NBC variety), on camera about half the time, get to drive the car out (and toot the horn), and get to chum it up with the host, and you get billing.

Makes the Price job attractive, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:45:20 AM by joe_capitano »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2005, 03:55:59 AM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 03:33 AM\']So, which would you take?
[/quote]

PRICE: Audience of 350
WHEEL: Audience of 8
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SamPrainito

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2005, 04:16:34 AM »
I agree, Susan's no dummy.  No one in their right mind would have made that jump.  That's what's so surprising about it:  that Goodson even offered.

If the siutation were reversed, with Merv trying to woo a Barker Beauty to "Wheel", I could see it.  

Just add this one to the "what might have been" file, along with Jimmy Connors and Joe Namath being game show hosts!

tyshaun1

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2005, 11:04:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 03:55 AM\'][PRICE: Audience of 350
WHEEL: Audience of 8
[snapback]72639[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right, Mark. I'd still take Wheel. Co-billing, on camera just as much as the host, the only model on the show. Plus, you're going by Peter Marshall's word on Wheel's audience, and he still seems bitter over Wheel geting spared over HS. Also, TPIR's audiences weren't at capacity every show until the 90's.

Best GS-themed E!THS they've done, tho. And how ugly was the original Chuck Woolery Shopper's Bazaar pilot? Contestants sat down, the puzzle board  looked awful, and prizes were obscured all over the set. Yech.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 11:36:02 AM by tyshaun1 »

Bob Zager

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2005, 11:25:43 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 09:07 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 09:50 AM\']And the only specific thing he has to say about any of his traditional games is that he got to keep some of his wardrobe from Baffle.
[snapback]71921[/snapback]
[/quote]
Man -- he got hosed.  When will he ever need those sport jackets again?

Was Art Fleming that well known before he was picked to the original J!? The only thing I know about him pre-J! is that he was once a radio air talent in Akron, OH.
He did two TV series as an actor; both were probably syndicated (which means even less people saw them than would watch a syndicated drama now).  Merv (or his wife, can't remember which) spotted him doing WNBC's late news.
[snapback]72017[/snapback]
[/quote]

Art Fleming was also one of the assistants on Dr. I.Q.  Where he and several others went into the audience, selecting a member to answer a question asked by the "Dr."  He and the other assistants would, when called upon, say "I have a gentleman/lady, doctor!"

tvrandywest

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2005, 11:29:54 AM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 11:51 AM\']Didn't the Shopper's Bazaar pilot actually use something similiar to the pull card method used on Jeopardy? I heard it mentioned on here last year sometime.
[snapback]71963[/snapback]
[/quote]
For the reveal of letters on what later became the puzzle board.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 11:30:22 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2005, 11:30:16 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 11:04 AM\']Best GS-themed E!THS they've done, tho. And how ugly was the original Chuck Woolery Shopper's Bazaar pilot? Contestants sat down, the puzzle board board looked awful, and prizes were obscured all over the set. Yech.
[snapback]72674[/snapback]
[/quote]

I enjoyed it as well, and I thought they spent a good portion on the Chuck/Susan years (what I really wanted to see). Who knew Susan was a party girl in her former life?

I loved seeing the "new" clips as well (the first episode), Susan's final ep., and the rare still shots, esp. that Shopper's Bazaar pilot.  

BTW, anyone who can remember that far back, was the "GOOD BYE SUSAN" message an actual puzzle (like the "VANNA'S PREGNANT" thing), or just something done as a tribute?

Finally, when did she actually leave...I just know Vanna debuted in Dec. 1982 and there were several weeks of on-air auditions.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2005, 11:44:57 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 11:30 AM\'][quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 11:04 AM\']Best GS-themed E!THS they've done, tho. And how ugly was the original Chuck Woolery Shopper's Bazaar pilot? Contestants sat down, the puzzle board board looked awful, and prizes were obscured all over the set. Yech.
[snapback]72674[/snapback]
[/quote]

BTW, anyone who can remember that far back, was the "GOOD BYE SUSAN" message an actual puzzle (like the "VANNA'S PREGNANT" thing), or just something done as a tribute?

Finally, when did she actually leave...I just know Vanna debuted in Dec. 1982 and there were several weeks of on-air auditions.
[snapback]72678[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was a goodbye segment. We had a contestant on Susan's final episode(aired on 10/22/82) visit this board last year and tell about his experience. She got a goodbye segment at the end of the show. The on-air tryouts, including Vicki Mccarty Iovine, Summer Bartholomew, and Vanna, aired between 10/25/82-12/10/82.

Chief-O

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2005, 12:08:10 PM »
I thought the portion about the pilot was interesting, in a behind the scenes way. Hearing about how director Marty Pasetta always kept switching cameras between [IIRC] the wheel, contestant, board, audience, etc...plus we got to actually see the set genius that is Ed Flesh.

Sure, they spent a lot of time talking about Vanna's personal crises, but this is one of the better THS's they've done.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Pyramid80

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2005, 12:15:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 11:08 AM\']plus we got to actually see the set genius that is Ed Flesh.
[snapback]72687[/snapback]
[/quote]

Speaking of Ed Flesh, what shows did Ed create sets for?

BrandonFG

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2005, 12:17:55 PM »
A better question would be what shows did he NOT create a set for ;-)

Here's a partial list, yeah it's from the IMDB, but this time it's a decent list.

Some missing:
-Scrabble 93
-Scattergories
-Caesar's Challenge
-Newlywed Game 85
-Jeopardy! ("checkerboard" set)
-80s Pyramid
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 12:21:34 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

tvrandywest

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2005, 12:24:10 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 09:17 AM\']A better question would be what shows did he NOT create a set for ;-)

Here's a partial list, yeah it's from the IMDB, but this time it's a decent list.

Some missing:
-Scrabble 93
-Scattergories
-Caesar's Challenge
-Newlywed Game 85
[snapback]72689[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good lord, don't forget "Pyramid"!

And add to the lengthy list a few especially innovative sets Ed created:
The elegant 2-story set for SOTC in New York
The monster set with dozens of slide projectors for PYL
Supermarket Sweep (my fave  ;-)

And he has a story for each and every one of the shows he worked on!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 12:25:31 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2005, 12:32:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 12:24 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 09:17 AM\']A better question would be what shows did he NOT create a set for ;-)

Some missing:
-Scrabble 93
-Scattergories
-Caesar's Challenge
-Newlywed Game 85
[snapback]72689[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good lord, don't forget "Pyramid"![/quote]

Other than the "checkerboard" J! set, one of his best works. He took the cramped (and somewhat tacky) 70s set and made it far more elegant.

And add to the lengthy list a few especially innovative sets Ed created:
The elegant 2-story set for SOTC in New York
The monster set with dozens of slide projectors for PYL
Supermarket Sweep (my fave  ;-)

And he has a story for each and every one of the shows he worked on!
[snapback]72690[/snapback]

Randy, is there any way you could get Ed to this board? When I was younger, I seriously wanted to get into set design, and always closely checked out Ed's work (among others such as Bente Christensen and John Mula). I'd love to see his stories. :-)