Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'The Making of The Price Is Right'  (Read 5047 times)

The Pyramids

'The Making of The Price Is Right'
« on: January 18, 2005, 08:36:25 PM »
Imagine if there was a ‘making of The Price Is right’ tv movie along the lines of recent ones on ‘Dynasty’ and ‘Three Company.’ Here would be an outline of the script.

1: It is 1972, creation. There are references to the Cullen show and how Bob is know from ‘Truth or Consequences’. The actor playing Mark Goodson tells the actor playing Bob how ‘I think we’ll get a good run out of it, maybe another 8 years if were lucky.’  [dramatic license, but the concurrent Dennis James show would be ignored]

2: The first show is recreated, including the fur coats. Then there is a long montage of the show in the Seventies including Janice and the refrigerator door, a contestant in the ladies room, ‘Hour Power’ and so on. Janice would be joined in the montage first by Dian and then Holly.

3: Cut to the Eighties. It is the shows tenth anniversary. However the passing of
both Mrs. Barker and Johnny Olsen would follow.

4: Come back from the commercial to Rod doing the introduction the the 20th. season premier. Bob has white hair and the crowd is younger & louder. The show that we know today has  arrived. Mark Goodson’s remarks from that show are recreated. Behind the stage we see Bob and Dian are an item.

5:  Most of the movie however would be set in the Nineties after Goodson has passed. All of the accusations and lawsuits are covered up to the departures of Janice & Kathleen. Throughout it all the show remains popular as ever.

6: The last scene would be at the Las Vegas-based 30th. anniversary show. There would be the inevitable crawl recapping the status of any litigation, but also the number of shows Bob has done, amount of prizes won, how the show is the last of its kind as far as network daytime game shows are concerned etc.

That is something I would want to see.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 08:36:44 PM by PaulD »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 09:12:02 PM »
I'm doubtful; I saw the Dynasty movie, and it sucked.

Despite the recent trend of making movies that profile the behind-the-scenes controversies, I think the only thing that could be placed in this "movie" would be Dian's harassment lawsuit and maybe the suit with Holly. Johnny and Rod's deaths, although tragic, wouldn't really add a whole lot of material, except the announcer tryouts, and I don't think there was too much drama with that, except for the board's reaction to Randy's being passed over. Unless Randy has some (waves a $20 bill) "secrets" for us. ;-)

Other than that, I don't think anything else really has as much "dirt," and that includes the firing of Janice and other producers in the last 5 years, and even the recent situation with Claudia Jordan. They were big stories...only to us. When you think outside the box, you'll prolly realize that Joe Blow wouldn't give two tins about this.

ObGameShow: Dynasty star John Forsythe was on MG75.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 09:30:46 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 06:36 PM\']That is something I would want to see.
[/quote]
I'm afraid I do not concur.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Pyramids

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 09:12 PM\']I'm doubtful; They were big stories...only to us. When you think outside the box, you'll prolly realize that Joe Blow wouldn't give two tins about this.

[/quote]

Hence an 'imaginary tv movie'. Actually ratings for 'Dynasty' and I think 'Charlie's Anges' seem to indicate not a lot of interest for movies about big prime time shows as well.

The announcer auditions would be a good scene I had not thought off.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 11:05:03 PM by PaulD »

mystery7

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 09:43:51 PM »
The E! True H'wood Story a couple years ago had a lot of what your movie would contain. Take it to the box office, and it wouldn't even be Ishtar. There's just not enough of that kind of audience to warrant its release. Maybe - MAYBE - on the Indie scene it'd generate a little interest. But absolutely not in the mainstream.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 10:42:18 PM »
I think I'll just watch the show, thank you very much.

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 11:50:28 PM »
If "The Making of The Price is Right" doesn't contain an exposé on how Range Game really CAN be restarted immediately, I'm not interested. :-)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 12:40:36 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 11:50 PM\']If "The Making of The Price is Right" doesn't contain an exposé on how Range Game really CAN be restarted immediately, I'm not interested. :-)[/quote]

(tick tick tick)

(fade out, then back in)

"14 hours later"

. . .

"25 hours later"

. . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 01:43:53 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 09:12 PM\']I'm doubtful; I saw the Dynasty movie, and it sucked.
[snapback]71843[/snapback]
[/quote]
And contained a glaring inaccuracy. "Put more blood on Heather (Locklear in the Moldavian massacre scene)". At that point in the story, her character was in New York with Joel Arbigore {played by George Hamilton} plotting and scheming with a Krsytle Carrington look-a-like.
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 09:12 PM\']ObGameShow: Dynasty star John Forsythe was on MG75.
[snapback]71843[/snapback]
[/quote]
And George Hamilton was a regular on MG98--one of the few entertaining parts of that electronic mortal sin.

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 05:36:10 AM »
If they ever did make a TPIR movie... I think a good way to open the movie would be the current Bob Barker closing the show as he always does, giving his spay and neuter plea, making his way to the big doors, and waving to the audience. Then, as Rich gives one last acknowledgement to Bob, Bob walks backstage, to his dressing room, looking not quite as happy as he usually would look on TPIR, and that's when the movie really begins.

The narration could be something like "This is Bob Barker, host of the long running game show, The Price is Right. Bob has been through a lot in the last 10 years.... lawsuit with  models (cut to footage of Bob talking about Dian, Janice, and Holly) lawsuits from other former employees, and the death of announcer Rod Roddy (cut to footage of Rod). What you see on The Price is Right is one thing, but off camera, things aren't always happy on the set.... However, it wasn't ALWAYS like this... (cut to a dark haired Bob Barker, looking much happier and laughing)

Granted, this is based on what we've heard on E! True Hollywood Story, but still, IMO, a good way to open a movie about TPIR.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 12:18:50 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 03:36 AM\']The narration could be something like "This is Bob Barker, host of the long running game show, The Price is Right. Bob has been through a lot in the last 10 years.... lawsuit with  models (cut to footage of Bob talking about Dian, Janice, and Holly) lawsuits from other former employees, and the death of announcer Rod Roddy (cut to footage of Rod). What you see on The Price is Right is one thing, but off camera, things aren't always happy on the set.... However, it wasn't ALWAYS like this... (cut to a dark haired Bob Barker, looking much happier and laughing)
[/quote]
I still think it's a perfectly awful idea, but I'd watch this if they got Hal Douglas to do the voice-over. :)

(Randy'll get that. :))
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:19:07 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe