Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gameshows and weather interuptions  (Read 6719 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Gameshows and weather interuptions
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 09:41:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 12:56 PM\'](And a side note to CLemon. You're not correct in stating that the station determines what is worth breaking into. If I say the weather is dangerous,  I don't care what i'm interrupting. I'll interrupt the Super Bowl. Granted, that storm better be dangerous, or I'll face the music. But it still won't be as bad as pissing off the old ladies when we break into "All My Children").

Bottom line. Sorry the crawl upset your Karn-time. I like to file these conversations under "IT'S ONLY A GAME SHOW".
[snapback]70271[/snapback]
[/quote]
While I'm certainly glad to hear you have that ability at your station, I would imagine this situation varies from place to place. Where I worked in CA, weather-related cut-ins were few and far between (floods during storm season were about it, and that only a couple of years), and the PD most definitely had something to say about it. (More often, tho, it was the PD coming to us and saying "hey, you wanna do a cut-in?")
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Shredder

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 09:43:59 PM »
Don't think I said schedule an interuption, just change the schedule OF the interuption once it's on.

I just figure if you're going to interupt part of the show, for say, 15 minutes, the viewing experience is already ruined.  So, might as well take up the shows whole time slot and rerun it at a later date, or at a later hour in the day.  Just so long as the show is rerun promptly and advertised on a stations website or something so people know it's going to be rerun is all that matters..

And just FYI,  the original thread was started as a curious question.  I didn't mean to insult anyones news organization or how they do things.  I was just wondering how they decide how to do things and how it's decided a special report is needed or not.  In my uninformed opinion, this little snow fall didn't require it, but that's just me :)..

No insult intended :)..

zachhoran

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 09:55:39 PM »
This is not an attack on any of news oriented people, but it seems like some local news outlets, at least the Philly stations, love to spend more than half of a newscast telling us in so many words "it's cold" or "it's snowing" or "it's hot" when extreme weather hits. People who don't live in a cave of course already know that :) But if it's good for the local news ratings.....

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 06:04:37 AM »
Yeah, the weather people sure know how to trumpet up the weather reports even if it's sunny & plesaunt outside.  I remember back in the day when weather was the farthest thing on my mind except extreme conditions.  Now, it's so mundane, it's become a frequent part of newscasts these days outside of its own segments.

As far as the 2" of snow, it's nothing where I live but those living in areas that don't usually get snow(like Miami or LA), that MAY be a big deal because people there are'nt use to that stuff.  So, it's not only local but geographical too.  It goes with the territory.

ObGameShows:  Pat Sajak was a weathernan before he was a WOF host.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 08:12:35 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 02:56 PM\']I say you're whining. If anyone here has that right, it's me.

Your friendly neighborhood weatherman.
[/quote]
Hey... can I come by the station and play with the Chroma-Key sometime?  I've always wanted to do that.

They don't give us neat toys like that at the radio station.  Only thing I get to play with is an Autogram console (circa 1973)... and there's no fun with that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:14:22 AM by bossjock967 »
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

tvwxman

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 08:22:44 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 09:09 PM\']If it starts snowing barley, that's DEFINITELY worth interrupting for.
[snapback]70320[/snapback]
[/quote]

Man....I love it when I forecast a 70% chance of barley. It's almost as exciting as an 80% chance of wheat.

;)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TunaHead

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 09:24:21 AM »
First off, the ChromaKey isn't that fun to mess around with, as I found out at a science museum here in Toledo... Actually kind of bland and unentertaining after about 20 seconds of it.

Now on with the show.

Here in Toledo, WTOL has been know to cut into programming for people stepping on a crack in the sidewalk, making for an abnormal amount of mothers breaking their backs.

I'll use Price as an example here.

Meteorologists, whether NWS or AMS seals or not, have been known to hype storms a lot worse than they really are, and they choose to use every moment of TV time they can to do it. It isn't the public safety they care about. It is the ratings. ALL about the ratings. And if you think I am kidding around, take a look at the Toledo Blade, or the 4 TV stations here in town. None of them care about the news, or exclusives, or anything else. It is ALL about the weather.

WTOL (CBS) was the first to have a live doppler in Toledo a number of years ago. They were also the first to display a tri doppler format. So for years, they touted themselves as the weather station to tune to. And then, after WTVG (ABC) and WNWO (NBC) picked up the triple doppler, the weather wars started. They started changing names, such as Super Doppler, Digital Doppler Network, Triple Doppler... WUPW (Fox) then decided to come up with a spoof of WTVG 13's name, the Super Duper Woppler Doppler 14,000. And then, WTVG, in a $600,000 move, decided to purchase a new doppler system from Barron called VIPIR. This system is AWESOME, especially to me as a storm chaser. But all the other stations downplayed it, saying it is too much information for the public to comprehend with, and whatnot. So that is where we are today on that aspect.

WTVG was starting their morning newscast the other morning at 4:55 because of the road conditions and school closings. WNWO caught wind and decided to start at 4:54. Then, during the day, the roads got better, the sun came out, and the front moved through. But did that stop the weather wars on every half hour? Hell no.

All they do is reiterate what they have on crawls, and what they pound into everyone's head with the watch/warning map with a doppler overlay, and the names for every single storm that comes out, and everything else that comes along that they do.

I don't expect a suit to appear on TV when flurries are falling. I don't expect break ins 6 hours before a storm hits, especially when the noon news is just an hour away. Rain does not constitute a break in. What does constitute a break in? Tornadoes, STW's, Heavy Snow, Flooding, Icing Conditions, and in the south, Hurricanes.

And as I finally wrap this up, it's just a ratings war. Because if you get higher ratings, you get more budget to get new toys, and quite possibly, a bigger wallet. Television Meteorologists are turning out just to be like lawyers and doctors. Anymore, I trust the forecast that I see directly from the NWS, and don't even watch the hype that is oh so familiar anymore.

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 09:24 AM\']
WTVG was starting their morning newscast the other morning at 4:55 because of the road conditions and school closings. WNWO caught wind and decided to start at 4:54. Then, during the day, the roads got better, the sun came out, and the front moved through. But did that stop the weather wars on every half hour? Hell no.

[snapback]70390[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's fascinating to me to watch how the stations in the morning continually keep starting their news earlier and earlier. I believe WMAR-2 in Baltimore starts their news every morning at 4:55. I'm waiting for a station that decides to start their news at 4:30!!

tvwxman

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 10:45:34 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:09 AM\']It's fascinating to me to watch how the stations in the morning continually keep starting their news earlier and earlier. I believe WMAR-2 in Baltimore starts their news every morning at 4:55. I'm waiting for a station that decides to start their news at 4:30!!
[snapback]70401[/snapback]
[/quote]

We too begin at 4:55 with a weather hit.

Memphis WMC, and a station in KC already begin at 4:30...

as a morning weatherman, yuck.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 10:45:54 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:45 AM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:09 AM\']It's fascinating to me to watch how the stations in the morning continually keep starting their news earlier and earlier. I believe WMAR-2 in Baltimore starts their news every morning at 4:55. I'm waiting for a station that decides to start their news at 4:30!!
[/quote]

[snapback]70410[/snapback]
[/quote]
I predict that... with the ongoing trend in Baltimore... Channel 13 (WJZ-TV) will be starting their Morning Edition as soon as The Late Late Show over at 1:35 AM.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Shredder

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 11:17:42 AM »
It's fascinating to me to watch how the stations in the morning continually keep starting their news earlier and earlier. I believe WMAR-2 in Baltimore starts their news every morning at 4:55. I'm waiting for a station that decides to start their news at 4:30!!>>>

I got up one morning at 5 AM because I had a cold and just couldn't sleep, so I watched the early morning news.  They started repeating the same stories at the second hour., so I can only assume they repeat them at the third hour as well.

Tune in to the same station at 12PM after Price, and it's mostly the same stories with a few new bits.

Why schedule a three hours morning news propgram if you just repeat 80% of the same stories over again?

tvwxman

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 11:22:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 11:17 AM\']
Why schedule a three hours morning news propgram if you just repeat 80% of the same stories over again?
[snapback]70415[/snapback]
[/quote]

Because just about Nobody watches an entire morning show. The avg span that someone has the tv on while they're getting ready for their day, assuming their even watching , and not listening....

is 15 minutes.

That's why you see "weather on the 1's" and gimmicks like that....every 15 minutes is practacally a new audience...
-------------

Matt

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 11:23:42 AM »
Most people don't watch the news for that long.  They either leave for work, get up late or maybe they call their neighbor to tell them to turn on the news to see a story that they hope will be repeated.  I think the best bet now is to wait for the FF ep to run on PAX, they won't disrupt the show when it airs there.

Uhh...what Matt said a minute before I could collect my thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 11:25:43 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 11:24:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:17 AM\']Why schedule a three hours morning news propgram if you just repeat 80% of the same stories over again?
[snapback]70415[/snapback]
[/quote]
As a radio professional once told me, "your audience changes every 20 minutes."

A TV station will thank you for spending all three hours watching that news program (especially if you're a Nielsen family ;-) ).  But the masses tend to tune in and out for various factors, therefore reairing stories gives more people an opportunity to see something they might have missed.

EDIT:  Connecti-Matt, Jimmy and I must be on that same great wavelength.  There must be a Sniglet for that somewhere.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 11:26:51 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 03:10:16 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 11:14 AM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:45 AM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:09 AM\']It's fascinating to me to watch how the stations in the morning continually keep starting their news earlier and earlier. I believe WMAR-2 in Baltimore starts their news every morning at 4:55. I'm waiting for a station that decides to start their news at 4:30!!
[/quote]

[snapback]70410[/snapback]
[/quote]
I predict that... with the ongoing trend in Baltimore... Channel 13 (WJZ-TV) will be starting their Morning Edition as soon as The Late Late Show over at 1:35 AM.
[snapback]70414[/snapback]
[/quote]

And will they want Ferguson to tape a toss to the news team?  :)