Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Soupy Sales to be honored  (Read 2406 times)

tvrandywest

Soupy Sales to be honored
« on: January 03, 2005, 01:52:47 PM »
Watch for a pie to fly in front of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Friday, January 7th at 11:30AM when Soupy gets the 2,274th Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce's press release and extensive bio notes that Soupy was a regular on WML? "logging 1,500 shows in his seven year run". It's where I first met Soup in 1971 when he guessed my "line". While a number of his friends will be on hand, including NY radio personality Joey Reynolds, I won't be able to attend. I hope he has a great turnout.

I recommend rhubarb pie; it's far tastier than his previous thousands of pie crusts filled with shaving cream!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Skynet74

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 03:14:46 PM »
I'll be looking forward to the photos of this one. This particular STAR is long overdue. Congrats to Soupy. Last time he was in the public eye... Age was not being kind to the man. Hopefully he'll actually be there for the ceremony.

John

GSWitch

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 03:57:48 PM »
He also hosted Jr. Almost Anything Goes on ABC back in 1976-77.

In the Saturday Morning Book, Soupy mentioned that JAAG was being beaten opposite Fat Albert on CBS because some ABC affiliates didn't carry the show, mentioned that Houston had it on early in the morning.  He's correct!

KTRK never aired anything past 11:00 Saturday am (until the Weekend Special) & refused to carry American Bandstand.  KTRK aired Soupy's show @ 6:30 am Mondays!

FOOTNOTE:  The Bandstand feud ended on September 1, 1984 when KTRK finally carried the show.

gameshowhost1

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
I had the privilege of having Soupy on my radio show here in Huntington, West Virginia in 1980.  We played a round of the Pyramid.  I gave the clues for a winner's circle round and he went to the top.  He remarked about my home version saying, (up til that time) "I've been responsible for giving away a lot of money on Pyramid and they have never given me a home version of the game!"  He was a delight.  We had our picture taken together.  He signed it and was so kind.  He used to return every year to his high school reunion at Huntington High School, but his health prevented him from doing so for the last several years.

Robair

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 04:21:30 PM »
You never know what Soup will come up with next. I was watching an old WML last night (one of the Jerry Orbach episodes, no less) and the first line was an organ grinder, complete with monkey. Out of the blue, Soupy sez "You know if you were a really successful organ grinder, you'd have a Wurlitzer and a gorilla!"

And when the organ grinder left center stage after his demo, Larry started to crank the musical instrument -- and Soupy immediately joined him as the monkey.

Congrats to Soupy on his star -- and it's been roughly 40 years now since "Soupy-Mania" took hold with "The Mouse" and his TV show. (And his first WML appearances!)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 04:23:48 PM by Robair »
--Robair

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 05:12:54 PM »
I'm glad that Soupy finally is getting his star.  He should've got one over 25 years ago.  He is a very talented man, he was a great game player and I think he could've been a great game show host if given a few more opportunities beyond JAAG.

One of his movies they played all the time on the weekend back in the 70' & 80's was "Birds Do It".  It was corny and perhaps went too close along the lines of a Jerry Lewis movie, but it was one of my faves at the time.

And speaking of his hit, "The Mouse", Soupy performed that song on the same Ed sullivan show that the Beatles did their 2nd TV appearance on.

Robair

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 09:12:32 PM »
I did catch the pics on WireImage of Soupy at the unveiling of his star. Soupy was in a wheelchair, I do not know if that is a permanent condition for him now or not. Peter Marshall and Marc Summers were on hand to offer testimonials for Soup, and the day cilmaxed with Soupy pieing Los Angeles' honorary mayor Johnny Grant.

Folks who were there or know someone who was should be able to fill in more info, but Soup looked even more frail than he did at a book signing six months ago.
--Robair

Skynet74

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 05:50:05 AM »
All this talk about Soupy has made me think about those Records he put out. Remember the hit songs "THE MOUSE" and "YOUR BRAINS WILL FALL OUT."? Awsome stuff that you've got to hear. Download them on Kazaa. I bet you that you'll find them. I may try it myself since I haven't heard those songs in a while. It will be a nice treat to hear Soupy.

John

Skynet74

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 06:39:50 AM »
Well after many searches it turns out that Soupy's music is harder to find then anticipated. However I was able to find "The Mouse". I've uploaded a copy here.
Enjoy!

http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0LE8NMMVE06V51K7FLDVOSU96S

John

DrBear

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 08:15:31 AM »
Mark Evanier's fine blog News From Me has some photos and a writeup on the day from someone who was there.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.