Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Holy Double Jackpot, Batman!  (Read 4718 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Holy Double Jackpot, Batman!
« on: January 14, 2005, 12:29:43 PM »
A while ago I was watching Family Feud, and the winning team got to 300 in three questions, leaving poor Richard to stretch like he's never stretched before.  I got to thinking, the current run of Family Feud would be a perfect candidate for a double jackpot round if a family can get to 300 in just three questions.

So I toss it up to the board, what other game shows of past or present could have made use of a double jackpot rule?  Besides "Go."
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 01:15:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 10:29 AM\']So I toss it up to the board, what other game shows of past or present could have made use of a double jackpot rule?  Besides "Go."
[snapback]71246[/snapback]
[/quote]
Really, it would apply best to a show that would have had a segment cut noticably short (or eliminated altogether) by virtue of the game ending early, on a show that didn't straddle. (In Go's case, the first half of the Double Jackpot replaced Segment C, where the 1250-point round would normally be played.)

Unfortunately, the only example of such a show I can think of is Blackout, and even then it's a bad one because the show was designed with a two-puzzle sweep in mind, the tiebreak was a one-word quicky, IIRC.

It MIGHT have been useful on TJW'90 in the unlikely event that one player just ROCKETED to the $2000 plateau needed to win (or whatever the hell it was, put your hand down, HorZach), but those were pretty long odds, difficult to quantify, and it would just be easier to have Pat stretch a little.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 07:38:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 01:15 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 10:29 AM\']So I toss it up to the board, what other game shows of past or present could have made use of a double jackpot rule?  Besides "Go."
[/quote]

It MIGHT have been useful on TJW'90 in the unlikely event that one player just ROCKETED to the $2000 plateau needed to win (or whatever the hell it was, put your hand down, HorZach), but those were pretty long odds, difficult to quantify, and it would just be easier to have Pat stretch a little.
[snapback]71249[/snapback]
[/quote]

When the game ended early on a few occasions, they had someone from the audience play some sort of audience game for cash.

When the game ran really late, they'd play the bonus game at the top of the next show. The episode on the trading circuit with the $36K Joker Jackpot win had the bonus game at the top of the show.

That Don Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 09:15:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 01:15 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 10:29 AM\']So I toss it up to the board, what other game shows of past or present could have made use of a double jackpot rule?  Besides "Go."
[/quote]
Really, it would apply best to a show that would have had a segment cut noticably short (or eliminated altogether) by virtue of the game ending early, on a show that didn't straddle.
Unfortunately, the only example of such a show I can think of is Blackout.
[snapback]71249[/snapback]
[/quote]

What about when Whew! went to the non-straddle format?  There was some sort of bonus game before the Gauntlet if a contestant won both the first two rounds (I don't know how it worked as I only saw one episode in that format and the two contestants split the first two rounds, so they played a "normal" third round); they could have gone to a "double jackpot" format if they wanted to (and since this was after they added celebrities, have one end game with just the contestant and one with just the celebrity).

-- Don

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:40:19 PM »
If the show were to be brought back without allowing straddling, Super Password. Classic Concentration could be another if there were quick solves in the two games. I only recall one time, though, when someone from the audience was brought up as a time-killer to win money by matching.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 09:40:44 PM by Don Howard »

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 10:04:58 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 09:15 PM\']

What about when Whew! went to the non-straddle format?  There was some sort of bonus game before the Gauntlet if a contestant won both the first two rounds (I don't know how it worked as I only saw one episode in that format and the two contestants split the first two rounds, so they played a "normal" third round); they could have gone to a "double jackpot" format if they wanted to (and since this was after they added celebrities, have one end game with just the contestant and one with just the celebrity).

-- Don
[snapback]71286[/snapback]
[/quote]

When the non-straddle format took effect, a celeb/contestant team winning two games in a row got to play the third round alone. Blocks were randomly placed on the board by the producers. It awarded the contestant extra money and the team extra time for running the Gauntlet.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 07:54:46 AM »
Another show that could have done the double jackpot concept on occasion is the USA Chain Reaction. From seasons three through five, there was an occasional contestant who won the maingame one chain earlier than would be expected. WHat they did instead on those occasions was have the champion play what would have been the next maingame chain against Rod Charlebois. In season five, of course, there was no bonus round due to the $40K CR's elimination tournament format.  

EDIT: There was a show or two in season one where they had extra time due to a shorter maingame. On those episodes, the winning team played another bonus round after the usual one. The winnings from that bonus round went to charity.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 08:57:45 AM by zachhoran »