Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The next 'Match Game'  (Read 5957 times)

The Pyramids

The next 'Match Game'
« on: December 28, 2004, 08:07:29 PM »
We are comming to the midpoint of the 00's. Time is beginning to distance it self from the Boden/Cronin/Woolery era of the Game Show Network.

I imagine there were high hopes for the original 'Hollywood Squares' in early '02. It had the potential to become a crowd pleaser like 'Match Game' and deliver viewers anywhere on the schudule.

I wonder why it failed. As for it being dated looking well so is 'Match Game'. I found it as amusing as 'Matrch Game'. Maybe its a case of apples vs. oranges. The differnces between the two outmatch the similarities.

cmjb13

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 08:10:34 PM »
Hollywood Squares failed for 2 reasons.

Demographics & airing the same batch of episodes over and over.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 08:14:38 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 08:10 PM\']Hollywood Squares failed for 2 reasons.

[snapback]68925[/snapback]
[/quote]

There are other shows with fewer episodes in GSN's possession that are still kicking on the channel, i.e. Greed and Weakest Link. Both of those have had at least five cycles in the last two or three years. Demographics is more likely to have kept Squares from sticking around.

DrBear

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 07:49:22 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 07:14 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 08:10 PM\']Hollywood Squares failed for 2 reasons.

[snapback]68925[/snapback]
[/quote]

There are other shows with fewer episodes in GSN's possession that are still kicking on the channel, i.e. Greed and Weakest Link. Both of those have had at least five cycles in the last two or three years. Demographics is more likely to have kept Squares from sticking around.
[snapback]68928[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd agree on the same episodes - that's why I quit watching - but funny is funny. The main difference is that a lot of the MG humor came from attitude and interaction, not so much from the questions. On HS it's setup/joke, setup/joke, with rare exceptions such as YOU FOOL!

Maybe that's it. But I do wish one thing - that Wally Cox had stayed around long enough to be on MG7x. He would have fit in beautifully, I feel.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Terry K

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 08:42:03 AM »
One other problem with HS was that a lot of the bits they *had* weren't ones they could air.  As I understand it, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the eps GSN had in its possession couldn't be aired due to various unacceptable things (I"m guessing some of the zingers weren't exactly politically correct)

This led to the same 20 episodes getting rerun over and over.

uncamark

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 05:49:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 08:42 AM\']One other problem with HS was that a lot of the bits they *had* weren't ones they could air.  As I understand it, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the eps GSN had in its possession couldn't be aired due to various unacceptable things (I"m guessing some of the zingers weren't exactly politically correct)

[snapback]69453[/snapback]
[/quote]
*200.*  I know, it seemed like 20.

The Pyramids

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 08:23:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 08:42 AM\']One other problem with HS was that a lot of the bits they *had* weren't ones they could air.  As I understand it, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the eps GSN had in its possession couldn't be aired due to various unacceptable things (I"m guessing some of the zingers weren't exactly politically correct)

[snapback]69453[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interersting if true. Never buy anything untill you have seen it for yourself.

Gromit

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 11:45:55 PM »
What, a little controversy wouldn't be good for the numbers? I bet they'd have been just fine had they run those eps.

I sure enjoyed seeing the original squares. I too regret that it was gone so soon.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 02:51:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jan 17 2005, 11:45 PM\']What, a little controversy wouldn't be good for the numbers? I bet they'd have been just fine had they run those eps.
[/quote]
Unfortuently, this is the 2000s, not the 1960s...air something that has a borderline racist comment, and you're liable to get slapped with a lawsuit from the *cough* ACLU.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Gromit

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »
They didn't violate any broadcast standards back then, and the standards have gotten looser over the years, not tougher.

Is there any actual evidence of anybody suing over broadcasts of retro material?

dzinkin

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 12:08:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 02:51 AM\'][quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jan 17 2005, 11:45 PM\']What, a little controversy wouldn't be good for the numbers? I bet they'd have been just fine had they run those eps.
[/quote]
Unfortuently, this is the 2000s, not the 1960s...air something that has a borderline racist comment, and you're liable to get slapped with a lawsuit from the *cough* ACLU.
[snapback]71689[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, the ACLU -- if it were to weigh in at all -- would probably come down on the side of airing those shows.  It's the various racial/ethnic/religious/sexual orientation interest groups that would complain.

GSN pulled a Match Game episode because of an anti-gay comment by Dick Gautier... it's no surprise that they'd think twice about rerunning a Hollywood Squares episode that was even remotely questionable.

Don Howard

The next 'Match Game'
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 02:02:03 AM »
Just before April 15th 2002, someone over at the other place suggested we roll tape "on some rare treasures" when the then-Game Show Network began showing The Hollywood Squares. I'm glad I followed this advice because now I've got 'em forever. To some, the shows were dull and some of the jokes above their heads. But to me, it's a tremendously entertaining nostalgia trip.