Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst Case Scenarios  (Read 9897 times)

Fedya

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2005, 11:14:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 31 2004, 12:42 AM\'][quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:41 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:14 PM\']Can I just ask what the hell is UP with this sudden glut of tailor-made-for-Horan topics? Is he paying you or something?
[/quote]
Boy, I bet you'll be glad when we get that new version of the board software with the Ignore User feature.
[snapback]69293[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'll be glad if we get one that actually DOES ignore the user instead of replacing their posts with those idiotic placeholders.
[snapback]69294[/snapback]
[/quote]

All it takes is a little bit of maturity on the part of those with names in their Ignore lists.  The thing here works the same way as on other fora I frequent, and I've never had any problems with there being placeholders.

Your post seems to be your usual complaining just to complain, and not much different from what you whinge about Zach's doing.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Ian Wallis

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2005, 12:44:25 PM »
When no one wins the $50,000 on Fear Factor. This happened for the first time EVER earlier this season with the "Best Friends" show.

That's because most of the time they have a stunt where "whoever gets the most", or "whoever stays on the longest" wins.  That particular show had a stunt which actually had to be completed in a certain manner, and nobody did.  However, earlier in the show two cars were given away, so it wasn't exactly a worst-case senario.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2005, 12:48:21 PM »
I know this never happened, and I know they'd never have let this happen...but it would have been interesting to see two contestants stuck at 0-0 for a whole week of syndie Match Game.

You're right that it didn't happen, but a senario close to that happened on the CBS "Match Game".  I believe it was 1978, and they had two contestants who played to a fourth tie-breaker.  In fact, it could have been five tiebreakers because the final score ended 4-2, and the contestant who got 2 could have got 4 if they had said another answer.  All 4 celebrities they didn't match said that other answer, which was probably more definitive.  Gene was incredibly surprised it had even gotten to 4 tiebreakers!
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2005, 04:50:28 PM »
[quote name=\'pyl85\' date=\'Dec 31 2004, 08:17 PM\']How about taking all 60 seconds of the Double Dare obstacle course to find the first flag (pilot not included). I think I remember an episode where it took an obscene amount of time to get the flag from that hourglass thing with the orange balls.
[snapback]69387[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably why, AFAIK, they never had Blue Plate Special as the first obstacle.  Kids could and did spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find the flag in the huge pizza slice or peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich.

If it did happen, I could see Summers going beserk and probably telling the kid to go on to the next obstacle anyway--but if it did happen...

[BZZZT!]

SUMMERS:  Ohhhhh, you couldn't find the flag and your 60 seconds are up!  Harvey, what did they win?

HARVEY:  Marc, they didn't win a thing!  And since we're a cheap cable show, we save money!

(Staff appears behind Summers and kids celebrating.)

SUMMERS:  Are we getting paid more, Harvey?

HARVEY:  No, Marc!

SUMMERS:  Well, you may see a new host next time, or maybe not, since they air these things out of order, but watch us next time on "Double Dare" here on Nickelodeon anyway!  So long!

[Applause and theme]

HARVEY:  This is your announcer Harvey, going to the boss for a raise--who are they going to replace me with, some kid named Tiffany?  Join us next time for more sloppy fun--see ya!

Jay Temple

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2005, 01:15:59 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:58 PM\'][quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 10:37 PM\']
I'll keep it simple. There are/were game shows where the worst possible scenario can (and possibly did) happen. For example, triple shutout situations on both Press Your Luck and Jeopardy! happened.

[snapback]69277[/snapback]
[/quote]

The worst case sceanrio on PYL would be all three players getting four whammies. If that were to happen, which it never did, there'd be three new players on the next show. There were a handful of shows where 11 whammies were gotten.
[snapback]69286[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't recall seeing any of those.  They didn't just declare the remaining player the winner, then?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2005, 01:29:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 01:15 AM\']I don't recall seeing any of those.  They didn't just declare the remaining player the winner, then?
[/quote]
The remaining player got to "play the house"....they could keep going until they wished to stop; ran out of spins; or hit the 4th whammy.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

garfybrewer

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2005, 07:02:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 10:29 PM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 01:15 AM\']I don't recall seeing any of those.  They didn't just declare the remaining player the winner, then?
[/quote]
The remaining player got to "play the house"....they could keep going until they wished to stop; ran out of spins; or hit the 4th whammy.
[snapback]69583[/snapback]
[/quote]

In all the years I had seen Win Ben Stein's Money, has there ever been a player bomb out in the Best-of-10 Knowledge Test (in other words, get none right)?

Kevin Prather

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »
It happened at least once. I remember it happening in the Nancy Pimental era. Nobody made a really big deal over it, IIRC.

zachhoran

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2005, 07:27:21 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 07:12 PM\']It happened at least once. I remember it happening in the Nancy Pimental era. Nobody made a really big deal over it, IIRC.
[snapback]70483[/snapback]
[/quote]

A zero-for-ten also happened on one of the Kimmel era shows on GSN.

Ian Wallis

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2005, 03:33:27 PM »
Another worse case senario for any gameshow would be when the power is out.

For example the Price Is Right had a power outage as seen on tpir.tv in a picture.

How about an earthquake?  There were several earthquakes that reportedly took place during tapings of the original "Hollywood Squares".  TVGuide even recounts one in an article I believe from 1975.  The stars on the bottom teir that show were happy they were on the bottom so that it would be an easier escape!
NEW LOCATION!!!

Kevin Prather

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2005, 03:45:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 12:33 PM\']
Another worse case senario for any gameshow would be when the power is out.

For example the Price Is Right had a power outage as seen on tpir.tv in a picture.

How about an earthquake?  There were several earthquakes that reportedly took place during tapings of the original "Hollywood Squares".  TVGuide even recounts one in an article I believe from 1975.  The stars on the bottom teir that show were happy they were on the bottom so that it would be an easier escape!
[snapback]70593[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeesh. In an earthquake, I sure wouldn't want to be underneath two scaffoldings!

Although I see your point. It would be an easier getaway.

Jay Temple

Worst Case Scenarios
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005, 12:17:07 AM »
Reminds me of a comedy routine I heard where they were introducing the celebs on H2, and they were all fat celebs.  As they got to the end, you heard the scaffolding start to give way ...
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.