The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

What if a show never got cancelled?

(1/4) > >>

aaron sica:
Alright, after the long threads discussing BigJon and The Professor, I want to start a thread on something I've been thinking about for awhile...

As we all know, The Price is Right has been on continually since 1972, and has slowly evolved - while it's not the same exact show in looks and graphics that premiered back then, it's mainly remained the same show.

So, with that, I ask - what if some of our other favorites had the same shelf life as TPiR, and were still on, today, having never went off the air?  I am providing two examples to start off with, but feel free to bring up any other show and harp on it.

How would Match Game have evolved? Who would have eventually replaced Gene and when?

What if \"Hollywood Squares\" was still on, never having been cancelled? How would it have progressed?

Let's get the ball rolling...

clemon79:
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 06:19 PM\'] How would Match Game have evolved? Who would have eventually replaced Gene and when?
 [/quote]
 I don't think this can be answered without opening up the \"TPIR will go on when Barker kicks\" and the \"TPIR will be canned when Barker kicks\" cans of worms. We don't really have an example of a long-running show with such a strong personality for a host passing away during the show run to know if it would be possible for MG to go on post-Rayburn.

--- Quote ---What if \"Hollywood Squares\" was still on, never having been cancelled? How would it have progressed?
--- End quote ---

Aside from set changes and payout increases due to inflation, I don't think we'd see much of a difference. This current version has done the best job of mimicking the original show, and as we have seen, Peter Marshall is just as capable today of presiding as The Master Of The Hollywood Squares as he was 35 years ago.

Starkman:
I think youd see the same evloution you saw with the series getting cancelled, with the possible exception of the goofery in the davidson version.

then there is the question of shows that kept being reincarnated every 2 years after being cancelled, how would they evolve or not evolve if they didnt have those small interruptions aka pyramid ;)

and of course the logical extension of this would have been what if an awful show would never get cancelled but shop til you drop's 10 year run (still dunno how the hell it happened dont ask) beat me to it :(

GS Warehouse:
I speak for most when I say had Family Feud run continuously since 1976, we would have never dealt with Louie Anderson or the straight four-question format.  (Granted, FF has never been off the air more than four years at a time, but...)

zachhoran:
We do have two long-running examples of hosts dying during the show's run: Jack Barry and TJW and Allen Ludden and P+(though Ludden left P+ due to health reasons eight months before his death). TJW pressed on two more years without him, and P+ went on 17 months without Ludden(and Super Password lasted 4.5 years without him)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version