Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Uncomfortable moments with losing contestants?  (Read 21314 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Uncomfortable moments with losing contestants?
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2004, 01:56:59 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 12:23 PM\']Game shows also vary from show to show, whether your answer counts if it came in at the start of the buzzer, was done by the completion of the buzzer, or whatever other permutations you can come up with or in the cases of Dawson's Family Feud, the clock was there for decoration purposes only.
[snapback]65954[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good point.  I'm sure that FF was a lot more stringent with the clock early on, but  time grew and Dawson started allowing answers after the buzzer (and since it was done more often than not, at least Dawson was somewhat consistent in allowing it to happen).  Of course, there wasn't one "right" answer to a question in Fast Money.  And on a number of occasions, the fifth answer wasn't the difference between $5K/$10K and $5 a point (either they won it beforehand, or the answer wasn't going to give it to them anyway).

I'm hard-pressed to recall whether this happened on multiple occasions on SP and whether the judging was consistent each time (if it was, then at least I have less of a problem with the money being awarded).  My inclination is that in most situations, if it was too late, it was too late.  But if I'm wrong, so be it.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 01:57:32 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2004, 02:59:47 PM »
Does slashing someone's tires in the Sony parking lot count?

Not saying that was me, Ken....
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2004, 03:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 08:02 AM\'][quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 12:57 AM\']
That I agree with. What really stuck in my craw was that they left the fate of $20,000 in a very partial observer...Bert Convy! Of course, this is the same show that let a convict play for $55,000, so I'm really not surprised.
[snapback]65901[/snapback]
[/quote]

In the case of Ketchem/Quinn, they didn't know he was a convict when he was playing on the show. Someone who recognized him on the show called MGP. Did he ever get to cash in his check after he got hauled off to jail after going to NBC Burbank to pick it up?
[snapback]65924[/snapback]
[/quote]

It wasn't Burbank--it was the MGP offices where he got nabbed, as I recall from seeing the story on CNN--and that was an easy story to cover, since, IIRC, their LA bureau was in the same building as MGP (and Hatos-Hall).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2004, 03:39:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 03:09 PM\']It wasn't Burbank--it was the MGP offices where he got nabbed, as I recall from seeing the story on CNN--and that was an easy story to cover, since, IIRC, their LA bureau was in the same building as MGP (and Hatos-Hall).
[/quote]
Correct, according to the 1989 World Almanac...it made their "Off-Beat News Stories" section.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

pyrfan

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2004, 02:16:54 PM »
Along the lines of "Super Password" discomfort, for those who have seen Carl Mueller lose the $50,000 prize by about half a second (the day before Marjorie Coster's $55,000 win with Janis Paige), did anyone else see that there was an obvious edit almost immediately after the round was over? Bert then says that they'll check the tape and see if Carl got the last answer on time. Going into the commercial, Carl says to Bert, "Bert, I'm sorry if I contradicted you." For my money, if they gave the 20K to the aforementioned Holly in 1985, then they certainly should have given the 50K to Carl, since he was closer to the buzzer than Holly was.

For uncomfortable contestant moments on "Pyramid," one time on the 100K in 1988, Lori Palmadessi (spelling?) blanked out on who Jerry Lewis was. When Dick elaborated on it after the round was over, she said, "But you don't really have to rub it in." Then Dick said, "Do you want to know what's really on my mind?" to which Lori said, "No."

Brendan

CarShark

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2004, 04:01:33 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Dec 4 2004, 02:16 PM\']For uncomfortable contestant moments on "Pyramid," one time on the 100K in 1988, Lori Palmadessi (spelling?) blanked out on who Jerry Lewis was. When Dick elaborated on it after the round was over, she said, "But you don't really have to rub it in." Then Dick said, "Do you want to know what's really on my mind?" to which Lori said, "No."
[snapback]66063[/snapback]
[/quote]
That reminds of the big loss on Whammy!, when Ami lost $25,000 on the last spin. She was inconsolable after that, though Newton tried.

ChuckNet

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2004, 08:16:43 PM »
In the case of Ketchem/Quinn, they didn't know he was a convict when he was playing on the show. Someone who recognized him on the show called MGP. Did he ever get to cash in his check after he got hauled off to jail after going to NBC Burbank to pick it up?

Yep...according to producer Bobby Sherman, he used it for his legal defense fund.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2004, 08:19:12 PM »
One guy purposely lost the bonus game and defended doing that in order to win more maingame prizes. IIRC he lost his next game afterward, and blew a free car.

Yep...and as if that weren't enough, he'd already lost the endgame on purpose once before, on the previous day's ep...to pass up a car TWICE, especially when you've got one strike against you, is just plain stupid.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

alfonzos

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2004, 08:41:23 PM »
Arte Johnson once gonged a comely contestant on The Gong Show and she promply burst into tears. Chuck Barris brought her back later in the show when she composed herself.

Mike Evans, the original Lionel Jefferson from The Jeffersons stormed off the set after losing on Password All-Stars. He was the only celebrity not on camera as they rolled the closing credits.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2004, 09:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 07:41 PM\']Arte Johnson once gonged a comely contestant on The Gong Show and she promply burst into tears. Chuck Barris brought her back later in the show when she composed herself.
[snapback]66164[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's nothing compared to performance artist Pearl Burnett (who about nine years later appeared on LETTERMAN).  Her act consisted of cutting paper ribbons while singing a very off-key rendition of "Tie A Yellow Ribbon."  Understandably, she was gonged.  When pressed for the reason from Chuckie, Jaye P. Morgan responded, "She should tie that yellow ribbon around her neck."  (BTW, that quote was attributed to someone else in Chuckie's book The Game Show King, but it was Jaye who actually said it.)

Burnett acted shocked and demanded that Jaye repeat what she said.  Jaye repeated a slightly toned-down version of it, and Burnett furiously said to Chuckie, "I want that deleted from the show."  Barris gave a little mocking face toward the camera, waved her off and threw it to commercial.

GONG had a few incidents like that, although I think Burnett's probably tops the list of least gracious exits.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 09:01:59 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2004, 09:08:03 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 08:41 PM\']Arte Johnson once gonged a comely contestant on The Gong Show and she promply burst into tears. Chuck Barris brought her back later in the show when she composed herself.

Mike Evans, the original Lionel Jefferson from The Jeffersons stormed off the set after losing on Password All-Stars. He was the only celebrity not on camera as they rolled the closing credits.
[snapback]66164[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't recall if he was losing the game at that point, but Bill Shatner, for no apparent reason, left the premises midway through a mid-90s celeb episode of WOF, and was replaced with some soap actress for the rest of the game.

mystery7

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2004, 09:23:14 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 09:08 PM\']I don't recall if he was losing the game at that point, but Bill Shatner, for no apparent reason, left the premises midway through a mid-90s celeb episode of WOF, and was replaced with some soap actress for the rest of the game.
[snapback]66171[/snapback]
[/quote]
If Shatner were losing, he might have left because there were no chairs to throw, like there were on Pyramid. (How'd we go so long without bringing THAT up?)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2004, 09:24:38 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 09:08 PM\']

I don't recall if he was losing the game at that point, but Bill Shatner, for no apparent reason, left the premises midway through a mid-90s celeb episode of WOF, and was replaced with some soap actress for the rest of the game.
[snapback]66171[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good thing Wheel doesn't have chairs.  Maybe Scotty beamed him up?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

goongas

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2004, 10:30:05 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 02:12 AM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 08:24 AM\']The time on Syndicated Millionaire when they showd a surprised and shocked look on Merle Glickman's face when she lost the question on Kaula Lampour (sp?).  They didn't show her telling Meredith off.  I was in the studio audience to see it.
[snapback]65782[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember seeing that on TV, and I noticed how the show quickly faded to black - she told Meredith Vieira off??? What was there to say? She was WRONG!
[snapback]65905[/snapback]
[/quote]

She shouted at Meredith, "why didn't you slow me down!"  Meredith was stunned and didn't know what to say.  They took Merle away and Meredith taped a "We will be right back" after Merle left.

Reading the official rules afterward or the next year, they state something to the effect of taking away your winnings if you are rude to any staff member of the show.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2004, 12:22:14 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 07:30 PM\']Reading the official rules afterward or the next year, they state something to the effect of taking away your winnings if you are rude to any staff member of the show.
[snapback]66178[/snapback]
[/quote]

LOL! Are you serious? IMO, It's ridiculous that they even have to have a rule like that.

Although I must say I'm a touch disappointed that Meredith didn't yell right back at her. That's just me, though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 12:23:53 AM by whoserman »