Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cognitive Dissonance  (Read 4332 times)

TimK2003

Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 08:43:45 PM »
I fell into that hindsight "Why the hell did I watch that B & E show?" generation myself.  Upon further delving into my mind, here is what I came up with for each show.  Keep in mind these shows were on during my middle school days:

JOKER'S WILD -- I was fascinated with the slot machine concept, and the different colors they used for the different categories.

TIC TAC DOUGH -- I was fascinated with the "state of the art" computer graphics, and the bonus game with the Dragon.

BULLSEYE -- I liked the set design and color scheme and that music bed for the board always reminded me of a buzzing beehive.  Plus the show was never seen in Cleveland.  I watched it whenever I was at my aunt's house in Detroit, or whenever the atmospheric conditions would allow me to pick it up on our Black & White TV's antenna 100 miles away across Lake Erie.

Plus, from what I can recall the only other options on the other channels during that era here were "PM Magazine" and "Family Feud", which weren't as interesting to me at that time.

Tim

The Ol' Guy

Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 09:42:41 PM »
...I've had my own thoughts about the Freudian image suggested by the mesmerizing Bullseye game board. Coincidental? I often wonder... As said earlier, imaging can sell a repackaged format.

GS Warehouse

Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 10:29:10 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 04:45 PM\']Any of the Barry & Enright shows can make a comeback (individually, not all together) ...
[snapback]62896[/snapback]
[/quote]
Play the Tic Tac Joker's-Eye?  Man, I've been getting some offbeat visuals from this forum lately...

Ian Wallis

Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 08:53:49 AM »
Jack Barry as a host did have his moments. He was an acquired taste for sure - not much to look at and highly un-suave, but he did have a sharp wit sometimes. I think that was his saving grace.

Agreed to that.  I remember when Jack was doing plugs for the new CBS shows on March 1973 "Joker" episodes - "$10,000 Pyramid" and "Hollywood's Talking".  His descriptions of said shows were awkward, to say the least.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

roadgeek

Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 08:54:15 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 09:42 PM\']...I've had my own thoughts about the Freudian image suggested by the mesmerizing Bullseye game board.
[snapback]62923[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks. Another childhood memory ruined. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 09:49:46 AM by roadgeek »

Jay Temple

Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 11:05:02 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 03:45 PM\']Jack Barry as a host did have his moments. He was an acquired taste for sure - not much to look at and highly un-suave, but he did have a sharp wit sometimes. I think that was his saving grace.
[snapback]62896[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think you might have it backwards.  To me, a sharp wit is that much more entertaining coming from someone who isn't especially attractive or smooth.  (I may be projecting here, as I like to think that I'm witty, but I don't deceive myself that I'm smooth or good-looking.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Cognitive Dissonance
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2004, 03:01:38 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 10:29 PM\']Play the Tic Tac Joker's-Eye?  Man, I've been getting some offbeat visuals from this forum lately...
[/quote]
Well, that's better than a beatoff visual.
--Mark
Phil 4:13