Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An 11 year-old game show host?  (Read 3258 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
An 11 year-old game show host?
« on: October 25, 2004, 07:50:50 PM »
In my Monday night Teaching Varying Abilities (special needs) class this evening, we saw an episode of either 20/20 or PrimeTime Live about gifted children from about 10 years ago.  One of the children featured in the segment was Michael Kearney, a then-11 year-old college graduate who aspired to be a game show host.  In 1995, his family temporarily relocated to LA, as someone thought the idea of a child hosting a game show with adult contestants was an interesting concept.  This show got to at least the rehearsal stage but was dropped in part because the adult contestants didn't enjoy being told an answer is wrong by a kid on national TV.

Does anybody have any info about this show like a title, the production company, or any other interesting tidbits?

In case this isn't ObGS enough, the reporter for the piece was Meredith Vieira.

WhammyPower

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 07:52:46 PM »
This almost sounds like Peter Tomarken.... but he's too old.  :-P

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Oct 25 2004, 07:52 PM\']This almost sounds like Peter Tomarken.... but he's too old.  :-P
[snapback]61940[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, could you please explain that joke to me, since, correct me if I'm wrong, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Tyshaun

vtown7

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 11:31:37 AM »
Would this have been one of those kids that went to college really early... I seem to remember a kid on the Mike and Maty show when that was around and at age 12 (?) he was going to college.

Ryan :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:07:52 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Oct 26 2004, 11:31 AM\']Would this have been one of those kids that went to college really early... I seem to remember a kid on the Mike and Maty show when that was around and at age 12 (?) he was going to college.[/quote]

Typically, the sort of kid that's going to college at age 12 and the sort of kid who is actively pursuing a game show host career at age 12 are going to be two very different kids.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:13:27 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Oct 26 2004, 11:31 AM\']Would this have been one of those kids that went to college really early... I seem to remember a kid on the Mike and Maty show when that was around and at age 12 (?) he was going to college.[/quote]

He's the same person.  Footage from his appearance on Mike and Maty was shown in the report.

Editing with a reply to Matt's entry...

Typically, the sort of kid that's going to college at age 12 and the sort of kid who is actively pursuing a game show host career at age 12 are going to be two very different kids.

This kid was bored out of his mind after he got his bachelor's degree at age 10.  He was shown watching The All New Let's Make a Deal on the family TV plus he commented about he had all of Barker's, Trebek's, Marc Summers', and Sajak's mannerisms down pat.  The kid showed Vieira how he'd reply to a right answer and a wrong answer.  Kearney's actions were more sarcastic and harsh than any of the above hosts.  He acted more like a smartass host you'd see on an SNL or MadTV game show parody than one on a nationally televised show.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 12:20:52 PM by hmtriplecrown »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 12:22:22 PM »
Well, there you go then.  Shows what I know.  

On the other hand, I wanted to be a game show host when I was ten too.  Took me a little longer, but I have a bachelor's degree AND a game show.  Take that Mr. Ten-Year-Old Smarty-Pants!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 12:25:21 PM by Matt Ottinger »

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 12:43:13 PM »
I can level with you Matt.. I've got a B.Ed. this weekend and I had a radio game show... just got to get one on the TV...

Ryan :)

mmb5

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 12:44:22 PM »
Or you can do what I did at 14 and create a public access game show.  There's no surviving tapes of this, either.  Thank God.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 12:47:01 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Oct 26 2004, 12:44 PM\']Or you can do what I did at 14 and create a public access game show.  There's no surviving tapes of this, either.  Thank God.[/quote]
You beat me there too.  I didn't have my first public access game show until I was 20.  Some old Beta tapes survive, but I doubt they'd be in very good condition at this point.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 01:42:23 PM »
I worked on a sort-of game show when I was in my teens and volunteering at the local cable company.  It was a live phone-in trivia show called "Beats Me".  I directed it, did camera, and was even an on-air host a few times!  It was a good way to get some experience.  Unfortunatly no tapes exists as far as I know.

Other than that, I had daydreams when I was 11 that I was hosting my own game show.  Anyone else?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mystery7

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 04:09:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 26 2004, 01:42 PM\']I worked on a sort-of game show when I was in my teens and volunteering at the local cable company.  It was a live phone-in trivia show called "Beats Me".  I directed it, did camera, and was even an on-air host a few times!  It was a good way to get some experience.  Unfortunatly no tapes exists as far as I know.

Other than that, I had daydreams when I was 11 that I was hosting my own game show.  Anyone else?
[snapback]62026[/snapback]
[/quote]
I still do, and I'm turning 30 soon. Of course, I also fantasize about being the next Bob Stewart, and right now I'd say I've got an equal shot of fulfilling both dreams: zilch-o. Best I can do is a radio show every other Saturday morning. And frankly, it's not all that good.

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 11:45:58 PM »
Best I can do is a radio show every other Saturday morning. And frankly, it's not all that good.

Hey, at least you've got an actual show...I'm merely recording airchecks at my station every wknd against the day it actually happens.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jay Temple

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 12:13:44 AM »
Not that I wouldn't enjoy hosting, but what I'd really like to do is judge.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 03:33:35 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Oct 26 2004, 11:44 AM\']Or you can do what I did at 14 and create a public access game show.  There's no surviving tapes of this, either.  Thank God.

--Mike
[snapback]62014[/snapback]
[/quote]
Unfortunetly, the same can't be said for my first foray--I went down to the studio last week, and found our pilot episode on the shelf.

Yikes.
--Mark
Phil 4:13