Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Let's Meet the Challangers'  (Read 3950 times)

The Pyramids

'Let's Meet the Challangers'
« on: October 23, 2004, 12:58:05 PM »
How was the topical Dick Clark produces quiz show 'The Challangers' produced?

Since the questions were always related to what was in the news I am guessing that five shows at a time may have been produced maybe on a Friday or Saturday to be aired the following week, thoughout the season.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »
Exactly. Stolen from Loogaroo's rules page:

>> The Challengers taped its shows on the Friday before the episodes were to be aired, so that current events could be among the questions. Each episode began with announcer giving the date ("This is September 5, 1990."), and sometimes "This Week on TV" was used as a category (with equal billing given to each network - this was syndicated, after all).
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 03:58:35 PM »
At least once, their vaunted efforts to be topical didn't work out.  They had a current-events question about Malcolm Forbes, who had the poor timing to pass away between the taping and the airing of the episode.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 04:09:49 PM »
Each episode began with announcer giving the date ("This is September 5, 1990.")...

That was Don Morrow. Stage 9 at Hollywood Center Studios (Las Palmas). While hanging with Mark Walberg at "TPiR-Live" in Atlantic City last month I learned that HE was the punk who replaced me doing warm-up on that show!!  He bought the next round of drinks   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 07:30:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 23 2004, 02:58 PM\']At least once, their vaunted efforts to be topical didn't work out.  They had a current-events question about Malcolm Forbes, who had the poor timing to pass away between the taping and the airing of the episode.
[snapback]61770[/snapback]
[/quote]

Early in the run, the show was considerably more current event-based than it was later in the run. Only two of the questions on the 5/24/91 episode on the trading circuit were current event-based(a question about Lawton Chiles, then governor of Florida, and a question about Scott Turow's book Burden of Proof)

The Pyramids

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 10:01:22 PM »
I suppose that was because the show was an ambitious, but ultimately unsucessful, effort to take on 'Jeopardy!' that was by then trying to be more like 'Jepardy!'.

I guess the show should also be remembered from keeping Dick Clark from one more run as host of the '100,000 Pyramid', although he may have passed on the opportunity in any event.

Jumpondees

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 10:09:10 PM »
It's sad really....I actually enjoyed watching this show when I would come home from a long day at school.  

I also liked Dick Clark as host, it was refreshing to me to see him do a Trivia type show as opposed to watching him do Pyramid.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 10:12:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' date=\'Oct 23 2004, 07:09 PM\']It's sad really....I actually enjoyed watching this show when I would come home from a long day at school. 

I also liked Dick Clark as host, it was refreshing to me to see him do a Trivia type show as opposed to watching him do Pyramid.
[snapback]61803[/snapback]
[/quote]
Another vastly underrated program. But I'm REALLY biased here, as I will watch Dick Clark on an empty stage reading the phone book. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mystery7

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 01:00:10 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 23 2004, 04:09 PM\']
Each episode began with announcer giving the date ("This is September 5, 1990.")...

That was Don Morrow. Stage 9 at Hollywood Center Studios (Las Palmas). While hanging with Mark Walberg at "TPiR-Live" in Atlantic City last month I learned that HE was the punk who replaced me doing warm-up on that show!!  He bought the next round of drinks   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]61773[/snapback]
[/quote]
So THAT'S why Mark was in such a hurry to get home that night!

I didn't enjoy Dick as much when he hosted trivia games. He didn't seem as "natural" or comfortable as he did on Pyramid. But he still made The Challengers good to watch.

- Mystery 7, dangerously close to agreeing with Chris Lemon about Dick Clark's hosting abilities

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 07:36:01 PM »
Only two of the questions on the 5/24/91 episode on the trading circuit were current event-based(a question about Lawton Chiles, then governor of Florida, and a question about Scott Turow's book Burden of Proof)

...which was later made into a 1992 made-for-TV movie starring frequent GS panelist Adrienne Barbeau.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 07:37:57 PM »
Another vastly underrated program. But I'm REALLY biased here, as I will watch Dick Clark on an empty stage reading the phone book. :)

No argument there...he was also the one saving grace of Winning Lines, besides that kick-ass Wonderwall.

As for The Challengers itself, it was a good show, they just should've kept the Ultimate Challenge in its original form, as a big money try for any champ who won 3 straight days.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 07:44:41 PM »
As for The Challengers itself, it was a good show, they just should've kept the Ultimate Challenge in its original form, as a big money try for any champ who won 3 straight days.

[snapback]61834[/snapback]
[/quote]

I suspect it was changed to one question a day for $10K and then later eliminated due to lower the budget when the ratings for the show were not stellar(a la the budget saving changes on Squares for last season). The values of the questions in the maingame were lowered by $50 each in round one and $100 each in round two in addition.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 08:03:03 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 24 2004, 04:44 PM\']I suspect it was changed to one question a day for $10K and then later eliminated due to lower the budget when the ratings for the show were not stellar(a la the budget saving changes on Squares for last season). The values of the questions in the maingame were lowered by $50 each in round one and $100 each in round two in addition.
[/quote]
Hey Zach: Nobody asked WHY it happened, we were able to figure that much out by ourselves. But thanks for playing Know It Alls once again.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled <PLONK>
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 05:10:29 PM »
"The Challengers"--a very good show that would've had a chance if it weren't for all of the other Q&A shows in syndication in 1990--viewers decided they if they wanted Q&A, they'd take just "Jeopardy!", thank you very much.

It didn't even work in Chicago as a lead-in to "J!"--WLS replaced it with "Inside Edition" mid-season--and that show's still at 3 p.m. almost *14* years later.