Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Ohio Lottery Cash Explosion hosts  (Read 11734 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
New Ohio Lottery Cash Explosion hosts
« on: February 09, 2004, 03:10:28 PM »
http://www.ohiolottery.com/press_releases/...ve/121803a.html

(This is dated mid-December 2003.  I first heard about the new hosts driving into school this morning.)

This is yet another case where the powers that be get rid of hosts the audience has watched for years (Cash Explosion's 17th anniversary is this month, and both Paul Tapie and Sharon Bicknell have been with the show from Day 1, outside of a brief host change about 5 years ago) and replaces them with younger, cooler, likely crappier talent.  Hoosier Millionaire made a similar talent change last year.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 03:33:41 PM »
I have a friend who kept sending tapes to the Lottery for ten years in an effort to replace Paul Tapie.  Lottery shows are bad no matter who hosts them.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 04:57:12 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 03:10 PM\'] http://www.ohiolottery.com/press_releases/...ve/121803a.html

(This is dated mid-December 2003.  I first heard about the new hosts driving into school this morning.)

This is yet another case where the powers that be get rid of hosts the audience has watched for years (Cash Explosion's 17th anniversary is this month, and both Paul Tapie and Sharon Bicknell have been with the show from Day 1, outside of a brief host change about 5 years ago) and replaces them with younger, cooler, likely crappier talent.  Hoosier Millionaire made a similar talent change last year. [/quote]
 While it's true that Sharon has been on the show since its first telecast, the first male co-host was former WBNS 10-TV Eyewitness News weathercaster Bob Grossi.
Mike Armstrong was the God-awful fellow who attempted to replace Paul in 2000.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:15:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 04:57 PM\'] While it's true that Sharon has been on the show since its first telecast, the first male co-host was former WBNS 10-TV Eyewitness News weathercaster Bob Grossi.
Mike Armstrong was the God-awful fellow who attempted to replace Paul in 2000. [/quote]
 Thanks for correcting me, Don.  I thought Tapié hosted Cash Explosion from Day 1, back when they had 7 players trying to "climb" the pyramid for $50,000.  Regardless, it's a shame quality personalities are being replaced, possibly to attract certain demographics.  Nobody will confuse Paul and Sharon for Pat and Vanna but they have been a Saturday night fixture in the Buckeye State and bordering areas for the better part of 2 decades.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 10:30:15 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 08:15 PM\'] Regardless, it's a shame quality personalities are being replaced, possibly to attract certain demographics.  Nobody will confuse Paul and Sharon for Pat and Vanna but they have been a Saturday night fixture in the Buckeye State and bordering areas for the better part of 2 decades. [/quote]
Off the cue cards, Paul's a very funny man. He can do some of the best impersonations I've ever heard. Back in the E.T. (Evans & Tapie) and Becker & Tapie days at 1220-WGAR, his Truman Capote and Mudflap Grant with The Sporty Page voices were absolutelty hilarious. Is he doing any radio on the North Coast these days, Mike?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 10:30:34 PM by Don Howard »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 10:56:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 10:30 PM\'] Off the cue cards, Paul's a very funny man. He can do some of the best impersonations I've ever heard. Back in the E.T. (Evans & Tapie) and Becker & Tapie days at 1220-WGAR, his Truman Capote and Mudflap Grant with The Sporty Page voices were absolutelty hilarious. Is he doing any radio on the North Coast these days, Mike? [/quote]
 Outside of some VO work, Tapie isn't on the radio, at least on the North Coast.

When I first attended college some eleven or twelve years ago, Paul Tapie hosted a morning drive show on Cleveland's sports radio station (WKNR) with Thor Tolo, currently a sports radio personality in Pittsburgh, I believe.  I was frequently tardy to class because I enjoyed their show so much.  Apparently I was one of the few people listening.  Tolo either left WKNR or was let go in late 1993, within 15 months of the show's premiere.  Tapie was WKNR's morning man until late 1994 or early 1995, when management went with an all-sports morning show format.  I believe Tapie had another radio job after WKNR but it lasted only a few months.

I met Tapie at a Cleveland Indians convention 10 years ago.  (WKNR had the radio rights to Indians broadcasts at the time and had their radio hosts emcee live shows from the convention.)  He's a real class act.

tjhornikel

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 11:59:14 PM »
I must concur with Mike.  Tapie is a class act.  His impersonations on the radio of local talent left me in stitches when he hosted ET, and Becker & Tapie on Cleveland radio.  Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever heard on the radio was Tapie impersonating Christopher Lloyd's character "Iggy" from TAXI, doing traffic reports from a parking lot.  Lottery shows tend to encourage plastic performances, and that is what we got from our locals.  Too bad.  They should have let Sharon and Paul open up.

Tom Hornikel
Tom Hornikel

I did NOT push Jim Peck. I just encouraged gravity.

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 11:24:56 PM »
i feel your pain, mr. h, and i hope art james has a nice RIP.  he was the host of catch phrase, & say when
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:25:20 PM by JacksonBrowne1980 »
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 11:28:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 10:24 PM\']i feel your pain, mr. h, and i hope art james has a nice RIP.  he was the host of catch phrase, & say when
[snapback]59580[/snapback]
[/quote]

What?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????
Kinda sorta on-topic: I won my buck back in the inaugural Rolling Cash drawing tonight.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:29:54 PM by Don Howard »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 12:01:15 AM »
Well, as long as we've got this thing up here...I only got Ohio stations at college.  Are the two newbies still running things, or did they wise up and bring Paul and Sharon back?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 12:52:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 12:01 AM\']Well, as long as we've got this thing up here...I only got Ohio stations at college.  Are the two newbies still running things, or did they wise up and bring Paul and Sharon back?
[/quote]

The same two chuckleheads, with their fake enthusiasm and horrible cue card reading skills, are still hosting the Ohio Lottery's weekly infomercial, er, game show.

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 06:50:56 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 11:52 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 12:01 AM\']Well, as long as we've got this thing up here...I only got Ohio stations at college.  Are the two newbies still running things, or did they wise up and bring Paul and Sharon back?
[/quote]

The same two chuckleheads, with their fake enthusiasm and horrible cue card reading skills, are still hosting the Ohio Lottery's weekly infomercial, er, game show.
[snapback]59587[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, the sincerity with which Michele Duda says, "Welcome to the tiebreaker" must be heard to be believed. And does Leilani talk like that at the restaurant? Chances are the Ohio Lottery is paying those two duds a whole lot less than Paul and Sharon were making. And they're getting their money's worth.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 06:52:55 AM by Don Howard »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 10:14:15 AM »
I don't know...I thought Michelle was getting slightly better (which I know, isnt saying much).

Lelani is best watched with champaign and Heineken. Simotaneously.
insert signature here

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 06:54:28 PM »
I could've seen the taping at the Ohio State Fair back in August, except by the time we found out it was 30 minutes too late!  (For the record, that now makes TWO game shows which came to the Ohio State Fair -- WoF was the other).

BTW, my wife said that Michelle Duda looks a lot like the person who plays the Mom on "That 70's Show", only a few years younger.  Agree or Disagree???

Tim

Don Howard

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 08:10:05 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 05:54 PM\']Michelle Duda looks a lot like the person who plays the Mom on "That 70's Show", only a few years younger.  Agree or Disagree???

Tim
[snapback]59656[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree and I'm right to agree so I get the square.