Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: B&W Overnight  (Read 6033 times)

MyCapableAssistant

B&W Overnight
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 06:30:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 04:18 PM\']I think it boils down to a difference in the culture.
[snapback]59534[/snapback]
[/quote]
AHHH, OK! Thanks for the perspective!!

Jimmy Owen

B&W Overnight
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 07:02:46 PM »
[/quote]"Disappointment" ?  "Shortcoming" ?  Is there a reason you're judging the behavior of these celebs in the early 50's (when smoking was indeed "cool") by today's PC standards?

I almost wished I lived back then.  America had just won the war and was the envy of everyone.  We smoked 'em if we had 'em.  Unfiltered.  Butter (rationed during the war) ran in the streets.  No seat belt laws, since hell, we didn't even have seat belts.  And we liked it just fine.  Dagnabbit.
[snapback]59535[/snapback]
[/quote]                             Lucky Strike Green never made it back from the war, but I think even then there was some inkling that smoking had some health risks involved.  Hindsight is always 20/20. What might be interesting is to compare the smoking on non-cig sponsored shows of the era. I think that product placement within shows was a sponsor edict, sorta like what Coca-Cola does today on AI.  Twenty years from now we'll be saying "How could they drink that stuff????
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Tim L

B&W Overnight
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 01:36:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 06:02 PM\']
[/quote]"Disappointment" ?  "Shortcoming" ?  Is there a reason you're judging the behavior of these celebs in the early 50's (when smoking was indeed "cool") by today's PC standards?

I almost wished I lived back then.  America had just won the war and was the envy of everyone.  We smoked 'em if we had 'em.  Unfiltered.  Butter (rationed during the war) ran in the streets.  No seat belt laws, since hell, we didn't even have seat belts.  And we liked it just fine.  Dagnabbit.
[snapback]59535[/snapback]
[/quote]                             Lucky Strike Green never made it back from the war, but I think even then there was some inkling that smoking had some health risks involved.  Hindsight is always 20/20. What might be interesting is to compare the smoking on non-cig sponsored shows of the era. I think that product placement within shows was a sponsor edict, sorta like what Coca-Cola does today on AI.  Twenty years from now we'll be saying "How could they drink that stuff????
[snapback]59541[/snapback]
[/quote]

Saw an interesting program on the Coke-Pepsi "Cola Wars" On the History channel Tonight.  It seems there were small amounts of Cocaine in the earliest formulas of Coca-Cola..Eventually there was such an uprorar that by around 1920 or so the formula was changed that all the cocaine was taken out and replaced by Caffeine.  To bring this back to game shows, Noticing TNTS..Abe Burrows was probably the most prolific smoker there..he had to go through at least 3-4 cigarettes a half hour if not more..

Tim Lones