Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Name That (Game Show) Tune!  (Read 11338 times)

Bob Zager

Name That (Game Show) Tune!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2004, 10:19:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 08:51 AM\']
As far as the Dating Game goes, the main theme is "The Spanish Flea". There are others but that's what I think it is.

"Spanish Flea", and various other Herb Alpert tunes, were all used as cues during the ABC run of the show.  The actual theme was just called "The Dating Game".  I actually have it on a 45 rpm record, by the Mariachi Brass.

The title for the late '70s closing theme was "Little Rosie".
[snapback]59472[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just for the record, the three main Herb Alpert tunes used as cues on the Dating Game were:

Whipped Cream (when introducing the girl to ask questions of the bachelors)

Spanish Flea (when introuducing the guy to ask questions of the bachelorettes)

Lollipops and Roses (when introuducing the girl/guy chosen for the date)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 10:19 AM\']Whipped Cream (when introducing the girl to ask questions of the bachelors)
[snapback]59474[/snapback]
[/quote]

[Chuck Woolery]I wouldn't touch that one with a fork lift.[/CW]

uncamark

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2004, 03:57:57 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 10:27 PM\']Puppet on a String?  No relation to the Sandie Shaw song, I assume?
[snapback]59450[/snapback]
[/quote]

Relation, I believe--although Milt Kaye's inspiration to use it as the mid-break audience shot cue was probably from Paul Mauriat's instrumental version on the "Blooming Hits" album that yielded that left-field hit 1968 smash "Love is Blue."

Someone once posted that Bob Cobert's 60s "Password" theme was called "Frank's Theme," after Frank Wayne.  And *still* Bob Stewart used Cobert for years...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2004, 06:32:15 PM »
From ATGS 11/19/98:
>I don't recall what specific music they played, but I do recall the
>sequence, at least during the Clayton era.  After a commercial, Wayne Howell
>would plug American Tourister Luggage as its consolation prize over some
>celeste [tinkling organ] and a title card, then Bob Clayton would give a
>kind of 'stay tuned' tag, followed by an audience shot and a supered title
>sequence of the compressed "Concentration" logo, wiped via hand-pulled tab
>to the full-lettered logo, all over some fast organ music before the
>fade-out.

The song used on the mid-point over the audience shot was called, I believe,
"Puppet on a String."  A French song, I believe, it's on several instrumental
albums from French artists, including Paul Mauriat's "Blooming Hits," which had
his only American hit "Love is Blue."

Since it's years since I saw the album cover, I hope that Geno or someone else
can confirm and clarify.

Mark Jeffries--I swear on the soul of Dan Enright that these posts are correct.
And from 7/25/99:
Raymond Lefevre--"Soul Coaxing" (includes his rendition of "Puppet
On A String" which was temporarily used midway through the original
"Concentration" over a shot of the studio audience; it was later
replaced by a cheesy studio organist version of the same piece!)

ChuckNet

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2004, 09:28:36 PM »
"Spanish Flea", and various other Herb Alpert tunes, were all used as cues during the ABC run of the show. The actual theme was just called "The Dating Game". I actually have it on a 45 rpm record, by the Mariachi Brass.

The title for the late '70s closing theme was "Little Rosie".

Other cues from the original DG included:

"Fantail" - the piano cue that underscored Jim's pre-game remarks and signature "heeeeeeere they arrrrrrrrrre!" line

"Love Sick" - the time's up cue used for most of the run

"Boston Bust-Out" - played as the bachelor and bachelorette met face-to-face for the 1st time

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

davemackey

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2004, 11:15:50 PM »
"Fantail" - the piano cue that underscored Jim's pre-game remarks and signature "heeeeeeere they arrrrrrrrrre!" line
That is actually a 1957 recording from Count Basie and his orchestra (appears on his album "The Complete Atomic Basie"). After two twelve-bar piano riffs played in typical style by The Kid from Red Bank, the band takes over. The song was written by Neal Hefti.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:18:19 PM by davemackey »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2004, 12:06:15 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 10:15 PM\']
That is actually a 1957 recording from Count Basie and his orchestra (appears on his album "The Complete Atomic Basie"). After two twelve-bar piano riffs played in typical style by The Kid from Red Bank, the band takes over. The song was written by Neal Hefti.
[snapback]59576[/snapback]
[/quote]
Interesting.  If I'm not mistaken, Chuck Barris also had Milton DeLugg meld riffs from two Count Basie compositions ("Jumpin' At [The] Woodside" and "One O'Clock Jump") for Gene Gene to use as his "dance" music.  I'm guessing he was a huge fan.

GONG's April 1977 prime-time special featured a priceless moment with Harry James & His Orchestra performing "One O'Clock Jump" as part of a swinging big-band piece.

Doug -- and the countdown to 700 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2004, 05:51:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 2 2004, 08:42 AM\']Personality-Struttin with Maria
[snapback]59309[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey Jimmy,

Are you sure that "Struttin With Maria" was the theme to Personality/Three On A Match?  If so, whose version is it?

The reason why I had asked is that I got my hands on a copy of "Struttin With Maria" by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, and when I got it on the turntable, it sounded like nothing of the sort.

ChuckNet

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2004, 06:02:09 PM »
Hey Jimmy,

Are you sure that "Struttin With Maria" was the theme to Personality/Three On A Match? If so, whose version is it?

The reason why I had asked is that I got my hands on a copy of "Struttin With Maria" by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, and when I got it on the turntable, it sounded like nothing of the sort.

It was the original Personality theme, before being replaced by the flute-y Bob Cobert theme used on both shows that you're prolly thinking of.

mystery7

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2004, 06:36:21 PM »
Obscure but surprisingly relevant fact of the day: Bob Stewart's "Says Who?" pilot used something called "Horn Duey" by King Richard's Fluegel Knights as its theme.

davemackey

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2004, 07:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 29 2004, 07:36 PM\']Obscure but surprisingly relevant fact of the day: Bob Stewart's "Says Who?" pilot used something called "Horn Duey" by King Richard's Fluegel Knights as its theme.
[snapback]65307[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just went back through this thread and I don't know if anyone mentioned that "The Parent Game" used as its theme song the instrumental break from Richard Harris' recording of "Macarthur Park".

Ian Wallis

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »
I just went back through this thread and I don't know if anyone mentioned that "The Parent Game" used as its theme song the instrumental break from Richard Harris' recording of "Macarthur Park".

I believe that was only on the pilot.  The regular episodes featured tracks on the Chuck Barris CD that's floating around - the same pieces of music used on just about every other Barris show throughout the '70s.  IIRC, they changed the closing theme part way through the run.

GSN aired just about the whole series during what some people refer to as "The Dark Period".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

GSWitch

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2004, 01:45:01 PM »
EYE GUESS:  "Sugar Lips" (Al Hirt)

THE FACE IS FAMILIAR:  "Brasilia" (Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass)

TimK2003

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2004, 08:32:59 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Nov 29 2004, 06:02 PM\']
It was the original Personality theme, before being replaced by the flute-y Bob Cobert theme used on both shows that you're prolly thinking of.

[snapback]65305[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanx, Chuck.  I had always thought that there was only one theme used, given that the Cobert ditty could pass for a TJB tune (although using the flute part would be a big stretch for Herb's Band).

Kevin Prather

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2004, 08:50:27 PM »
Jeopardy: "I'm A Little Teapot"