Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel changes  (Read 6836 times)

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel changes
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2004, 01:01:10 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 25 2004, 11:19 PM\']Leave the product placement to TPIR, ditch the $3K bonus questions, or at least make them worth only $500.  Bring in a bonus round that doesn't suck.[/quote]
Wheel has product placement for the same reasons TPIR does--it just fits in better on TPIR.

I'd say they have seriously dialed back the number of bonus questions from years past. Couldn't swing a dead cat on a late '90s WoF without hitting a half-dozen Clues and Fill in the Blanks.

What sucks about the bonus round? I think it's currently the best part of the show. In fact, I should probably mention it in the other thread . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel changes
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2004, 01:04:51 AM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 10:14 PM\'] If Wheel of Fortune wants to succeed for another decade or so, they have to make some changes in gameplay, and the bonus round dollar amounts have to be increased too.

From a previous post I read last week, I think there should be a top dollar value of $250,000 in the bonus round wheel.  Also in the maingame, there should be increased dollar amounts including a $20,000 space in either rounds 2 or 3.  Also a double-play space should be reinstated so a player can double his/her winnings in round 3.  

I also think that since Wheel is a faster-paced show now, the set should be futuristic with less set pieces.  C'mon, do we need to see palm trees and houses on the set? [/quote]
 You know, I'd say something in reply, but it'd probably end up being really caustic...and besides, Lemon's pretty much summed up my thoughts already.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Wheel changes
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2004, 03:21:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 25 2004, 10:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 25 2004, 11:19 PM\']Leave the product placement to TPIR, ditch the $3K bonus questions, or at least make them worth only $500.  Bring in a bonus round that doesn't suck.[/quote]
Wheel has product placement for the same reasons TPIR does--it just fits in better on TPIR.

I'd say they have seriously dialed back the number of bonus questions from years past. Couldn't swing a dead cat on a late '90s WoF without hitting a half-dozen Clues and Fill in the Blanks.

What sucks about the bonus round? I think it's currently the best part of the show. In fact, I should probably mention it in the other thread . . . [/quote]
 Response to some of Robert's valid points:

Sure, the placement fits better on TPIR because that's the point of the show.  Didn't they useta do this in the last minute of the show?  So, we really haven't lost anything, it just changed places in the show.

As to the bonus question, I don't think they should be worth $3,000.  I don't mind them so much, but they're freakin' GIMMIES...

My major problem with the bonus round is that it's one single piuzzle, and it's worth a minimum of $25,000.  Anything would be better than 'once more through the main game".  I would propose solving five puzzles in 60 seconds, with letters popping in a la the toss up round.  Then you win whatever the prize is.
Travis L. Eberle

Don Howard

Wheel changes
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2004, 10:02:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 12:01 AM\'] Couldn't swing a dead cat on a late '90s WoF without hitting a half-dozen Clues and Fill in the Blanks.

[/quote]
 Oh, but, believe me, I tried. That is, until a neighbor called the cops. Guess I was scaring their children.

passwordplus

Wheel changes
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2004, 03:23:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 10:14 PM\'] If Wheel of Fortune wants to succeed for another decade or so, they have to make some changes in gameplay, and the bonus round dollar amounts have to be increased too.

From a previous post I read last week, I think there should be a top dollar value of $250,000 in the bonus round wheel.  Also in the maingame, there should be increased dollar amounts including a $20,000 space in either rounds 2 or 3.  Also a double-play space should be reinstated so a player can double his/her winnings in round 3.  

I also think that since Wheel is a faster-paced show now, the set should be futuristic with less set pieces.  C'mon, do we need to see palm trees and houses on the set? [/quote]
 What should be changed by Jeopardy? Will that be your next thread, God I hope so, I can hardly wait!(lol)

Maybe up the 5k space to 10k, but that's about it. Leave the show alone

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel changes
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 04:14:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 02:21 AM\']Sure, the placement fits better on TPIR because that's the point of the show.  Didn't they useta do this in the last minute of the show?  So, we really haven't lost anything, it just changed places in the show.[/quote]
Oh, you were just talking about the fee plugs. I thought you meant stuff like the Jackpot round being "brought to you by", the two gift tags, and the like.

Your idea for a different bonus round is interesting, but I think it would annoy more people than it would please.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Thad Dixon

Wheel changes
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 04:19:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 04:14 PM\']Your idea for a different bonus round is interesting, but I think it would annoy more people than it would please.[/quote]
Plus, it sounds kinda similar to the bonus game on $1M CoaL, and we all know what happened to that show.

tvwxman

Wheel changes
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 08:03:44 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 02:21 AM\']

My major problem with the bonus round is that it's one single piuzzle, and it's worth a minimum of $25,000.  Anything would be better than 'once more through the main game". [/quote]
But you know what? It's damn good television, and , these days, it's hard. Just like a bonus round SHOULD be.... You want the bonus? Earn it...

Personally, when they changed they bonus to add the randomness of 3 more letters that may or may not help...I thought they reached perfection.... Adding a wheel to it was a good move, I thought...

I'm with the posters who feel that there are too many plugs, but as someone who works in tv, I know this is the wave of the future.... One day it may very well be called "Hellmann's Wheel of Fortune", or "Wheel of Fortune presented by McDonalds".... Then we'll have good reason to be disgusted!

Oh, and keep a hostess... yep, totally unneccessary job, but hey, it's reached pop culture status, and that's hard to do....

Oh, and since i'm one of the first ones to slam him when he posts crap, let me say :

Thanks to tmq for an interesting topic start.....for a change.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 08:05:43 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SplitSecond

Wheel changes
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 08:40:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 05:03 PM\'] I'm with the posters who feel that there are too many plugs, but as someone who works in tv, I know this is the wave of the future.... One day it may very well be called "Hellmann's Wheel of Fortune", or "Wheel of Fortune presented by McDonalds".... Then we'll have good reason to be disgusted! [/quote]
 As opposed to "Twenty One, brought to you by Geritol" or "What's My Line, presented by Stopette"? :-P

As for the hostess bit, the board for the original pilot ("Shopper's Bazaar") was mechanically operated, so there had to be a conscious decision made somewhere along the line to pay for a hostess to "humanize" the puzzle board in the "Wheel of Fortune" pilot and series.  Now that we've gone from a mechanically-operated board to a hand-operated board to an electronically-operating board, why ditch the human element that's most identified with it?

tmq800

Wheel changes
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2004, 09:28:49 PM »
This week, Wheel's World Tours Week is sponsored by Delta. No kidding.  They even have the Delta name on the set!! Talk about product placement.

I can't wait for the day where every theme week on Wheel will have a sponsor attached to it.

Travel USA Week sponsored by Travelocity.com.

Winter Wonderland Week sponsored by Ivory Snow.

Philadelphia Week sponsored by Lincoln Financial, CIGNA, and Tastykake.

San Francisco Week sponsored by Wells Fargo.  The bonus round sponsored by Bank of America.

Teen Week sponsored by Clearasil.

College Week sponsored by Kon-Tiki Holidays, the travel company for 18-35 year-olds.

And Retro Week sponsored by The Brady Bunch DVD Collection.

uncamark

Wheel changes
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2004, 01:48:26 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 07:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 05:03 PM\'] I'm with the posters who feel that there are too many plugs, but as someone who works in tv, I know this is the wave of the future.... One day it may very well be called "Hellmann's Wheel of Fortune", or "Wheel of Fortune presented by McDonalds".... Then we'll have good reason to be disgusted! [/quote]
As opposed to "Twenty One, brought to you by Geritol" or "What's My Line, presented by Stopette"? :-P

As for the hostess bit, the board for the original pilot ("Shopper's Bazaar") was mechanically operated, so there had to be a conscious decision made somewhere along the line to pay for a hostess to "humanize" the puzzle board in the "Wheel of Fortune" pilot and series.  Now that we've gone from a mechanically-operated board to a hand-operated board to an electronically-operating board, why ditch the human element that's most identified with it? [/quote]
 Seems to me that that was another idea of Lin Bolen's, along with Ruta Lee's role on "High Rollers."  She still wanted her "studs" hosting, but she also liked the idea of a woman doing a little more than pointing at prizes.

SplitSecond

Wheel changes
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 02:03:41 PM »
Also keep in mind that Susan was also doing the contestant introduction honors at the start of the series, much like Ruta did on High Rollers.  While Vanna's current role is greatly reduced from Susan's original role, I'd go so far as to say that Vanna leaving the show would create a far bigger hole than Pat leaving.

tvwxman

Wheel changes
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2004, 02:21:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 08:28 PM\'] This week, Wheel's World Tours Week is sponsored by Delta. No kidding.  They even have the Delta name on the set!! Talk about product placement.

I can't wait for the day where every theme week on Wheel will have a sponsor attached to it.

<blahblahblahblah> [/quote]
 Y'know , just when you give a child some credit.....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

gameshowguy2000

Wheel changes
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2004, 07:23:03 PM »
If you ask me, the only thing I'd want to see return is the Free Spin space.

Just placing one Free Spin token on the Wheel wouldn't be fair, because then only one player can use it.

With the Free Spin space, each player gets a Free Spin token (whether it's given to them without them calling a letter, or WITH them calling a letter), and upon receiving it, can use it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 07:23:39 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

zachhoran

Wheel changes
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2004, 07:33:04 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Sep 30 2004, 06:23 PM\']
If you ask me, the only thing I'd want to see return is the Free Spin space.

Just placing one Free Spin token on the Wheel wouldn't be fair, because then only one player can use it.

Maybe if they brought it back and limited each player to one Free Spin disc, you'd have something. The Free Spin space was scrapped during the 1989-90 season due to contestants earning as many as five or six Free Spin discs with skillful spinning. A contestant on the daytime show in the late 80s had five free spins, using all of them in round two and never losing control of the board. This was still in the shopping era, and the third round was a speed up round from the outset. The third player became(at the time) the first(and maybe the only) player ever to win on WOF without ever spinning the Wheel, thanks to Pat hitting the $2K on the final spin.