Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concurrent runs of the same show  (Read 1899 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Concurrent runs of the same show
« on: September 10, 2004, 02:12:28 AM »
At a few times, there have been two versions of the same show on the air at the same time: Pyramid/Match Game/Wheel, and so forth.

If you try out for say, the Pyramids, do you get to pick which one to go on?  (Who in their right mind would play for a $25,000 ceiling as opposed to a $100,000 tournament, especially when the shows are so similar?)  Do you just try out for both, and pray they give you the show you want?
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:24:09 AM »
For the most part, that's exactly right; you go into the general contestant pool, and the producers choose who gets plugged into what show.

As to how they make that decision, someone better informed than me can fill in that part.  I imagine that different types of contestants work better for a daytime versus a syndicated / nighttime show; you'd want to appeal to the stereotypical housewife set (speaking for that era) for daytime, while you're looking at a broader audience for the other show.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 03:02:59 AM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 03:07:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 01:12 AM\'] At a few times, there have been two versions of the same show on the air at the same time: Pyramid/Match Game/Wheel, and so forth.

If you try out for say, the Pyramids, do you get to pick which one to go on?  (Who in their right mind would play for a $25,000 ceiling as opposed to a $100,000 tournament, especially when the shows are so similar?)  Do you just try out for both, and pray they give you the show you want? [/quote]
 I seem to recall Matt Ottinger saying he got chosen for the syndicated version of "Sale" because he was a "better" contestant.

That, and they had swingers.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 03:19:26 AM »
I feel real sorry for the poor contestant who wanted to appear on "Wheel of Fortune" and win a truckload of cash... only to be placed into the Daytime verison and got saddled with either a Ceramic Dalmation or the $50 wedge.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 10:17:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 03:07 AM\'] I seem to recall Matt Ottinger saying he got chosen for the syndicated version of "Sale" because he was a "better" contestant. [/quote]
 That was the impression the contestant coordinators gave us, anyway.  And yes, to the point of the question, I tried out for $otC, but it was up to the producers to decide who played the daytime version and who played the syndicated version.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

splinkynip

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:25:40 PM »
My sister was on Wheel of Fortune in 1990.  When she got the call for a taping date, I was hoping she wouldn't get tsuck on the cheap daytime show.  Indeed, she was lucky to get chosen for the syndicated, but she lost anyway!

CarShark

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 10:10:15 PM »
I would have tried out for Doug Davidson's version of The Price is Right. I might get on stage, but even if I don't, I don't have to worry about losing my eligibility because I was chosen ninth and the stoner from San Diego State one-upped me. The Showcases, set, and music were much better, and I really would have liked to have met Doug. Seeing Studio 33 up close would have been a real treat.

Jay Temple

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 02:22:18 AM »
I imagine that when the daytime versions had defending champions and the nighttime versions didn't (Dawson's Feuds;  10/25K Pyramid), some players may have been booked on the night version because they were good but only available for one taping.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.