Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who's the best host?  (Read 11817 times)

Robair

Who's the best host?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2003, 07:41:58 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 17 2003, 04:00 AM\'] Puzzlers had an elaborate format with so many mini-puzzle games that it's hard to recall all of them 23 years after the fact. One puzzle game involved a picture or drawing of something enclosed on the top and bottom by blanks representing the letters in words associated with the picture, for example:

_  _  _  _  _  _  _

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

_  _  _  _  _

One by one the letters in the upper word were revealed:

M  _  _  K  _  N  G

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

and then the letters in the lower word:

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

B  R  A  _  N [/quote]
 Was Steve Ryan involved with that project at all? That would seem to be his thing and it's the era he was working for GT, since \"Blockbusters\" came out that year.
--Robair

PeterMarshallFan

Who's the best host?
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2003, 09:43:49 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 17 2003, 04:00 AM\'] Puzzlers had an elaborate format with so many mini-puzzle games that it's hard to recall all of them 23 years after the fact. One puzzle game involved a picture or drawing of something enclosed on the top and bottom by blanks representing the letters in words associated with the picture, for example:

_  _  _  _  _  _  _

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

_  _  _  _  _

One by one the letters in the upper word were revealed:

M  _  _  K  _  N  G

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

and then the letters in the lower word:

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

B  R  A  _  N [/quote]
 Mocking and brain. (Mockingbird, birdbrain) :)

Jimmy Owen

Who's the best host?
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2003, 10:45:19 AM »
Hmmm...sort of a \"Chain Reaction\" with pictures.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's the best host?
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2003, 05:40:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 17 2003, 07:45 AM\'] Hmmm...sort of a \"Chain Reaction\" with pictures. [/quote]
We had to change the Puzzlers end game when Chain Reaction came out. They were the same game, but there were other puzzle games unlike the example I gave.

Yes it was a Steve Ryan creation. Later in 1980 he brought us Blockbusters.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 05:42:38 PM by chris319 »

Steve_Bier

Who's the best host?
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2003, 11:22:40 PM »
Who announced?

Robair

Who's the best host?
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2003, 07:38:43 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 17 2003, 04:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 17 2003, 07:45 AM\'] Hmmm...sort of a "Chain Reaction" with pictures. [/quote]
We had to change the Puzzlers end game when Chain Reaction came out. They were the same game, but there were other puzzle games unlike the example I gave.

Yes it was a Steve Ryan creation. Later in 1980 he brought us Blockbusters. [/quote]
 It just seems plain weird to me that a game with both the multi-game format of \"The Price Is Right\" and the cognitive sensibilities of \"Password\" wouldn't work. Maybe on a more erudite channel, perhaps.

People still love wordplay games and things like Laddergrams and Word Searches...there's a game show out there for that kind of stuff, but nobody's hit on the right combination yet.
--Robair

zachhoran

Who's the best host?
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2003, 08:27:26 AM »
Goodson-Todman did try to capitalize on Word Searches with the two incarnations of NYSI, but that never really clicked with viewers.

ChuckNet

Who's the best host?
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2003, 01:41:05 AM »
Goodson-Todman did try to capitalize on Word Searches with the two incarnations of NYSI, but that never really clicked with viewers.

...although we partly have then-CBS prez Fred Silverman to thank for that version's cancellation...guess what his one of his final decisions before departing for ABC was?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

joshg

Who's the best host?
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2003, 06:25:23 AM »
...although we partly have then-CBS prez Fred Silverman to thank for that version's cancellation...guess what his one of his final decisions before departing for ABC was?

Which is ironic because he was an executive producer for the '21' revival we'll be watching (and watching and watching...) on GSN soon.

See, he doesn't dislike all game shows... just good ones!

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Who's the best host?
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2003, 11:12:03 AM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 03:25 AM\'] Which is ironic because he was an executive producer for the '21' revival we'll be watching (and watching and watching...) on GSN soon. [/quote]
 Speak for yourself. My TV, for one, has other channels. Plus I have a STACK of DVD's I need to catch up on, if I'm to be properly prepared for the November From Hell (DVD releases of the Indiana Jones Trilogy, Matrix Reloaded, and new Alien Quadrilogy boxed set)...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

joshg

Who's the best host?
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2003, 03:47:35 PM »
Speak for yourself. My TV, for one, has other channels. Plus I have a STACK of DVD's I need to catch up on, if I'm to be properly prepared for the November From Hell (DVD releases of the Indiana Jones Trilogy, Matrix Reloaded, and new Alien Quadrilogy boxed set)...

Oh I won't be watching '21' if at all... I was implying that it'll be reran into the ground. Merely a misunderstood attempt at humor.

Plus, another set of Family Guy DVD's will be released in September.

Now if I just got Trio at the house, I'd be set...

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

HSquares2003

Who's the best host?
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2003, 01:10:32 PM »
Does Fremantle count as being part of GT? If not, I'm suprised somebody didn't vote for Todd Newton. Personally, either PM or Tom Bergeron for best non GT host, and Peter Tomarken right behind those two.

Brandon Brooks

Who's the best host?
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2003, 07:35:26 PM »
Does Fremantle count as being part of GT?
It most certainly does not.
If not, I'm suprised somebody didn't vote for Todd Newton.
G-T was not responsible for creating that show.

Brandon Brooks

Rhudson765

Who's the best host?
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2003, 08:58:34 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 09:27 PM\'] Grant, to the viewing public, you are right.

However, Peter hosted a pilot for Goodson around 1990 called "TKO", that involved contestants answering Blockbusters Gold Run-style questions in order to get the right to knock money out of their opponents' scores.  There was a piece done on the pilot either as part of a segment or one of a series of segments about game shows for an L.A.-area TV magazine show. [/quote]

Grant, to the viewing public, you are right.

However, Peter hosted a pilot for Goodson around 1990 called \"TKO\", that involved contestants answering Blockbusters Gold Run-style questions in order to get the right to knock money out of their opponents' scores.  There was a piece done on the pilot either as part of a segment or one of a series of segments about game shows for an L.A.-area TV magazine show.

First, does anyone have a take of this or a detailed explination of the rules as this could make a great game for Big Jon to do.

Second it's surprising that G-T was still trying to come up with new formats after the failure of Trivia Trap and the fact that so many of their classic formats were still in production. I mean when you have

Family Feud
Match Game
TPIR
To Tell The truth

And just ended production on versions of Card Sharks and Password, why not just trot a new version of another classic.

Richard Hudson

PeterMarshallFan

Who's the best host?
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2003, 09:00:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Aug 10 2003, 08:58 PM\']

And just ended production on versions of Card Sharks and Password, why not just trot a new version of another classic.

Richard Hudson [/quote]
 Uh, Match Game '90?