Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who's the best host?  (Read 11799 times)

Starkman

Who's the best host?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 11:53:49 PM »
Woolrey and Tomarken are the best of the G-T era not to host a G-T or MGP show amoung the hosts who have done a good number of shows. Marshall a close third.

Did Sajak ever do anything G-T I always had the impression that hes only done wof.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Who's the best host?
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 12:55:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 08:53 PM\'] Woolrey and Tomarken are the best of the G-T era not to host a G-T or MGP show amoung the hosts who have done a good number of shows. Marshall a close third.

Did Sajak ever do anything G-T I always had the impression that hes only done wof. [/quote]
 Sajak came straight out of a morning radio gig to do Wheel.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

Who's the best host?
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 01:12:26 AM »
Our co-moderator might be able to clarify and expound on this.

Didn't Pat Sajak host a Goodson-Todman pilot called Puzzlers in 1980?

Winkfan

Who's the best host?
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2003, 02:53:15 AM »
Of course, the most notable non-G/T host has to be the Winkster!

And may I also add, in addition to those already mentioned: Jim Lange, Bob Goen, Bob Clayton, and George DeWitt.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Lillian Naud of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Who's the best host?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 04:51:58 AM »
IMO, Jim Peck.  Humble, humorous, and ever changing hairstyle. ;)  He was severly underrated--its too bad all he got handed were crap shows.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

Who's the best host?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2003, 08:17:32 AM »
Sajak did two game show pilots before Wheel: The GT pilot Puzzlers in 1980(ask Chris C. for more info on it, as he was working at GT at the time), and Press Your Luck for Ralph Edwards. No, it's not THE PYL, but rather a game based on the then-popular MB electronic game Simon.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's the best host?
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2003, 08:22:44 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 10:12 PM\']Our co-moderator might be able to clarify and expound on this.

Didn't Pat Sajak host a Goodson-Todman pilot called Puzzlers in 1980?[/quote]
Indeed he did. At the time he was the local weatherman on KNBC-TV. I thought he was a bit bland (and still do) but others in the office were bullish on him.

Apropos of the topic, I always liked Geoff Edwards as an emcee. I think he would have worked out well for a non-celebrity game such as Card Sharks. Geoff is now with K-SURF, one of if not THE lowest-rated radio station in the L.A. market.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 08:27:15 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's the best host?
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2003, 08:26:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 04:28 PM\']I'd swear that Press Your Luck could come off as being a G/T production.[/quote]
No, we preferred to do game shows with an actual GAME behind them.

BrandonFG

Who's the best host?
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2003, 11:18:44 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 16 2003, 07:22 AM\'][quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 15 2003, 10:12 PM\']Our co-moderator might be able to clarify and expound on this.

Didn't Pat Sajak host a Goodson-Todman pilot called Puzzlers in 1980?[/quote]
Indeed he did. At the time he was the local weatherman on KNBC-TV. I thought he was a bit bland (and still do) but others in the office were bullish on him.

[/quote]
I've read a lot about this show, and all I know was that it used the \"Mindreaders\" theme. How exactly did it work...did it show promise?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

Who's the best host?
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2003, 12:09:36 PM »
I seem to recall that Chris C. reported waaaaay back in early days of ATGS c. 1995 or 1996 that Puzzlers had mini-games a la TPIR all involving word puzzles.

PeterMarshallFan

Who's the best host?
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 12:16:04 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 16 2003, 11:09 AM\'] I seem to recall that Chris C. reported waaaaay back in early days of ATGS c. 1995 or 1996 that Puzzlers had mini-games a la TPIR all involving word puzzles. [/quote]
 I googled on it and came up dry, actually.

zachhoran

Who's the best host?
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 12:19:18 PM »
I tried Googling it too, but I thought Chris C. mentioned it back then. He'll fill us in later I am sure. Randy A. reported back then remembering hearing of the pilot being in the works when he worked on CS in SUmmer 1979, and that post popped up on Google.

tommycharles

Who's the best host?
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 12:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 16 2003, 07:22 AM\']

Apropos of the topic, I always liked Geoff Edwards as an emcee. I think he would have worked out well for a non-celebrity game such as Card Sharks. Geoff is now with K-SURF, one of if not THE lowest-rated radio station in the L.A. market. [/quote]
 Geoff was a great emcee, and I really would have liked to see him on the LMaD guest spots that he did - how did those go, anyway?

Also, he would have worked great on Hollywood Showdown.

Tomarken gets my vote at the moment. Has Summers done a GT show?

zachhoran

Who's the best host?
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 12:33:42 PM »
SUmmers never did a GT show.

Geoff's LMAD hosting was almost on a par with Monty I think. Last Fall during the LMAD Tuesday night vertivision blocks, GSN aired one episode of the week of shows Geoff did in 1985.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's the best host?
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2003, 05:00:41 AM »
Puzzlers had an elaborate format with so many mini-puzzle games that it's hard to recall all of them 23 years after the fact. One puzzle game involved a picture or drawing of something enclosed on the top and bottom by blanks representing the letters in words associated with the picture, for example:

_  _  _  _  _  _  _

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

_  _  _  _  _

One by one the letters in the upper word were revealed:

M  _  _  K  _  N  G

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

and then the letters in the lower word:

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

B  R  A  _  N