Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Foreign game shows on GSN  (Read 5658 times)

gshowguy

Foreign game shows on GSN
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:36:40 PM »
Here's a simple question: What foreign game shows would you like to see on GSN after they reran some Canadian game shows (and the Aussie game "Who Dares Wins")?

For me, here's what I'd use:

The Aussie $ale of the Century
The British Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
The Canadian Supermarket Sweep
100 Mexicanos Dijeron
Family Fortunes
The British Blockbusters (Bob Holness era)
The Aussie Wheel of Fortune
The Aussie Price is Right
Atinale al Precio
Bruce's Price is Right
Catch Phrase (Aussie and British versions)
Bumper Stumpers (though ran on USA while airing on Global)
Blankety Blank(s)
Maybe even some other non-English language game shows

What do you think of these ideas?

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 11:05:25 PM »
GSN has run Bumper Stumpers already.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 05:14:17 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 20 2004, 06:36 PM\'] Maybe even some other non-English language game shows

[/quote]
 Running non-English language programming on a predominantly English network is just about the most idiotic thing you can do as a program director.
What do you think ?
I think your fixation with foreign game shows borders on the unhealthy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TravisP

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 07:09:21 AM »
It won't happen as its more likely GSN will buy reality/non Game Show formats (e.g. Poker). As for the past couple of years Challenge in the UK has done the same and bought many imports but never a US Quiz Show its always either a non related game show, mostly poker shows and reality formats.

Current US imports being shown/have been shown on Challenge:

The Mole
The Mole 2: The Next Betryal
Celebrity Mole: Hawaii
Murder In Small Town X
Survivor I
Paradise Hotel
Guinness World Records (With British commentary for the non-studio segments)
Outdoor Outakes
Oblivious
Bragging Rights
Battledome
World Poker Tour
World Poker Tour 2
World Poker Tour: Hollywood Specials
Showdown at the Sands
World Series of Poker

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 08:34:01 AM »
IIRC, The Amazing Race 1 also aired in the wee hours of the morning on itv2 a couple of years back, concurrent with the first season of their own "The Race."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 08:34:16 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 04:44:42 PM »
The main reason showing international game shows wouldn't work (Though it would be awesome) is primarily because, for example, Australian "WOF" is meant for... well.. Australians.

Another reason is foreign game shows use material local to the country.

Lets say GSN airs the South African version of "Millionaire". You might get questions like this:

"Who is the mayor of Johannesburg ?"
"TV Presenter Zanelle Roux hosts what popular show on SABC2 at 14:20 ?"
"In what year did Harold Maggs become a member of Parliament ?"
and "Shaun VanHelsing was born on 1976 in what province ?"

and you'd might see players struggle with "Who is the current Vice President of the United States ?"

Average Joe would go: "What the *DER BLEEPEN* is this ? I'm switchin' to Spike TV"

Also, the local culture. Some people would get upset by some of the customs other people do, and unaware people might mistake what they're watching is an American show, think those people are strange and then switch over to Spike TV.

And, the humor. People in other countries, no offense, are... lets just say, not as hesitant about making un-PC jokes/steryotypes as Americans are and some people might take serious offense at the "colorful" commentary.

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 04:46:15 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

TravisP

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 04:55:25 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Aug 21 2004, 07:34 AM\'] IIRC, The Amazing Race 1 also aired in the wee hours of the morning on itv2 a couple of years back, concurrent with the first season of their own "The Race." [/quote]
 Sky One actually showed The Amazing Race I as they also got the rights to season two but has ditched it after the first run, Challenge was neogating a deal with CBS to buy The Amazing Race but no news of it appearing as many of us over here reckon they have blown the budget just to buy US Survivor I which has become a flop on the channel.

The only imports which have had many repeats on the channel are the poker shows while repeated runnings like The Mole are shoved to 1am.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 05:50:53 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 01:44 PM\']and you'd might see players struggle with "Who is the current Vice President of the United States ?"[/quote]
You think you'd have to be watching a South African game show to see that?

Obviously, you've never seen Street Smarts... :)

gshowguy

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 01:45:46 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 04:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 01:44 PM\']and you'd might see players struggle with "Who is the current Vice President of the United States ?"[/quote] [/quote]
 Well... what if they took up world history, and studied the US?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 02:42:46 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 10:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 04:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 01:44 PM\']and you'd might see players struggle with "Who is the current Vice President of the United States ?"[/quote] [/quote]
Well... what if they took up world history, and studied the US? [/quote]
 Then they might get it right. What in the HELL is your point?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 11:18:43 AM »
Not quizzes, not pricing games involving foreign currency, but some shows could work.

The British Match Game "Blankety Blanks" could be fun. I'd doubt the questions would be that hard to figure out, and if it's funny enough who cares if you know who the stars are (or that they're cross-dressing).

I'd love to see "Trust Me," the psychological game with two groups playing what we saw as the Trust Box round on "F or F."

"Family Fortunes" could work, too. "Name a food you stuff" would tend to have similar answers here or there.

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 01:51:10 PM »
I'd LOVE to see Fort Boyard, The Crystal Maze, and other games of their ilk on GSN.