Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If "$ale of the Century" returned...  (Read 5551 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
If "$ale of the Century" returned...
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 04:24:07 PM »
76 lines of worthless minuate removed
Talk about bandwith waste.  Good grief.
Anyhow, here's my idea for "Sale"
Use the 1985 rules, complete with swingers--to get those younger demographics. As for a host, I think this would be good for someone like Kenny Mayne--but I doubt he'd ever leave ESPN.
Maybe I am wrong, but wasn't the US version from the 80's, the only one to have the echo in the open? If so, that's my favorite.
Echo's don't make a gameshow better. Just ask Doug Davidson.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 06:26:11 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gshowguy

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 05:30:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 20 2004, 11:57 AM\'] I've got the 15th-anniversary show of the Aussie "Sale" on tape, and I'm sure there's another rule they had/have:  if the two players in the lead are TIED at the end of the game, then the third place player wins.

For those of you who also have that on tape, am I seeing things - or were those the actual rules? [/quote]
 I think you're just daydreaming. If there was a tie for first place between two people at the end, I would assume Tony (or Glenn in the later years) would read a sudden-death tiebreaker question, and the first to ring-in with the correct answer would win. The third place player winning is just bogus.

adamjk

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »
You could say the same about letting everyone buy instant bargains on the UK run. Doesn't change the fact that it happened. Don't know about the rule mentioned though.

EDIT: I have contacted Chris Powney about the rule, and I will let you guys know what he says. If anyone is wondering BTW, I happen to know him because the two of us are in the process of a tape trade.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 06:05:54 PM by adamjk »

gsnstooge

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2004, 09:10:51 PM »
The word puzzle game does not make me uncomfy.  Besides, it ain't got as much anti-climanticism as much as the orginial final-three question set that was used on the premire episode.  Not to mention more at-home playability than the Instant Bargains.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 09:12:14 PM by gsnstooge »

gshowguy

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2004, 12:15:01 AM »
The WBMG was the only bonus round I really remember, but I don't think it really fit in.

BTW, is $OTC going to return to the Nine Network in Australia soon? If so, then I know who might host it. It's either John Burgess or Daryl Somers. I'm not sure who's going to be hostess, though. I think Pete Smith might return to the announcer's booth, but if not, hopefully someone like Simon Watt (announcer on the Aussie Double Dare) doesn't replace him.

adamjk

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 02:47:07 PM »
Got a response from Chris, here is what he said:
I've never heard of that rule before. In the case where there was a tie
between the two leading players at the end of the game - they used to
play a
"Who Am I" question to break the deadlock. The first with the correct
answer
would win (or in the case of an incorrect answer - the other player
would
take the title).

There you go. Hope that gets rid of the confusion.

gshowguy

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2004, 10:51:24 AM »
Thanks! I knew a 3rd place player winning the game was a silly rule, and that would've never happened on any game show.

Also, here's another idea I'd use (keeping the rules)

Set: Someone had the idea of combining the '80s US set with the recent Aussie set. I think that's a better idea.

Host: Now that I look at him, maybe John O'Hurley isn't such a bad idea after all for a host. After all people have mentioned him as a good host.

Hostess: Gotta bring Summer Bartholomew back.

Announcer: I was going to say Burton Richardson, but he seems to be busy with announcing the Feud. I'd stick with Charlie-O on that one (I could just picture him giving a long emphasis on the cash prize and introducing John).

And here's my proposed opening spiel:

"Today, on the world's richest quiz, we're offering a (car make and model) worth $xx,xxx for $385! A (just-as-expensive prize) worth $x,xxx for $31! And a trip to (vacation name) worth $xx,xxx for $103! Three of the biggest bargains on...

(echo) $ALE OF THE CENTURY!!!!!!

And now, here's the host of our show, John O'Hurley!!!"

And for special weeks (there will be few):

Over 65 Challenge - Seniors over the age of 65 compete on this show

Teen/College week - Teenagers (16-19) and college students compete

Lovebirds week - Dating and married couples compete

International Tournament - This would have contestants from all over the countries that have aired $otC before (USA, Australia, UK, New Zealand, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, and Paraguay). They take part in this tournament over a month, and the last person standing wins a check for $100,000 and a new car (like a new Corvette). And who should present the check but someone like Reg Grundy, for example.

J.R.

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2004, 05:15:47 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 09:51 AM\'] International Tournament - This would have contestants from all over the countries that have aired $otC before (USA, Australia, UK, New Zealand, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, and Paraguay). They take part in this tournament over a month, and the last person standing wins a check for $100,000 and a new car (like a new Corvette). And who should present the check but someone like Reg Grundy, for example. [/quote]

Assuming he's still alive, last thing I heard about Reg Grundy is that he is enjoing total retirement in the Bahamas. He stopped producing game shows here in the US after the raging success of 1996's "Small Talk".

Your revival idea is totaly stupid, but that shouldn't surprise me if it's comming from you.

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 07:21:08 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

calliaume

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2004, 09:27:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 11:24 AM\'] [quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 06:59 AM\'] but I think I would try a veteran of the game show element, like Peter Tomarken. [/quote]
Peter reads "just OK". He's not a fast reader, and he trips over his tongue when he tries to be. You HAVE to have a fast question reader on that show, which is why it worked so well with Jim Perry. O'Hurley is both fast and clear. As is our own Matt Ottinger. :)
 [/quote]
 Good points.  Would Split Second, for example, have worked with Bill Cullen or Pat Sajak at the helm?

Re: Joe Garagiola -- the man's 78 years old, and has hosted precisely one game show in the last 30 years (for a single season).

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2004, 09:49:32 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 09:27 PM\'] Re: Joe Garagiola -- the man's 78 years old, and has hosted precisely one game show in the last 30 years (for a single season). [/quote]
 Two--To Tell the Truth and Strike it Rich.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2004, 10:26:59 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 08:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 09:27 PM\'] Re: Joe Garagiola -- the man's 78 years old, and has hosted precisely one game show in the last 30 years (for a single season). [/quote]
Two--To Tell the Truth and Strike it Rich. [/quote]
What about HE SAID SHE SAID?  Not to mention the ever popular JOE GARAGIOLA'S MEMORY GAME?  Not to also mention succeeding Jack Kelly on the original $otC?

EDIT:  Oh, they said last 30 years.  Gosh, I gotta get these glasses fixed.

Doug -- and the countdown to 600 continues (<Magenta> not for very much longer <end/Magenta>)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 10:29:38 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

gshowguy

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2004, 11:18:08 AM »
Is there anything DECENT you'd like to see in my revival?

aaron sica

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2004, 11:26:14 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 11:18 AM\'] Is there anything DECENT you'd like to see in my revival? [/quote]
 Yes. Plenty of commercials to drown out the show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2004, 11:46:02 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 08:18 AM\'] Is there anything DECENT you'd like to see in my revival? [/quote]
 O'Hurley. But that's pretty much it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe