Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How I'd Fix Balderdash...  (Read 1859 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
How I'd Fix Balderdash...
« on: August 05, 2004, 12:20:30 PM »
First off, there is clearly no pleasing some of you.

"We want MOOOOOORE traditional shows!" Well, now you got one, and I'm seeing the same people bitching and moaning that there aren't enough questions, or the prizes suck, or it's a knockoff of other shows. Folks, this is about as close to traditional as you're gonna get. Enjoy it, because you and I know there is about no chance of it being around this time next year.

That said, there's a little room for improvement, but I don't think it needs much. I was very pleased to see that they didn't completely rip off the definition format used in the box game and on Wordplay and instead went with a question-answer format. I understand the knock that only four questions were played, but then I would turn around and point out that both Liar's Club and Match Game only played four questions, and MG at least is held in high reverence by this group. (Liar's Club, maybe not so much, but it was always a favorite of mine.)

But I have an idea that gets some more questions in the game without changing the overall essence of it, and they both replace Round 1: Give each player their 250 point spot, and then offer them the chance to increase their stake going into Round Two by particpating in the "100 Yard Balderdash" (or some other whimsical name to imply a speed round). Each player gets sixty seconds , and going from left to right on the panel, the celebrity is asked a question, the celebrity answers (quickly, from his list of canned answers), and the player guesses whether the answer is truth or Balderdash. Correct answers pay 50 points. After each player has a turn, take a break, and roll directly into Round Two (sans additional point spottage - they just won those in Round One) after the break.

(The one problem this could have is the production train wreck that could occur if a celebrity loses their place and reads the wrong answer for a question. Frankly, if this happens, I move that said celebrity is taken out back and shot. I can't see any individual celeb playing more than three questions in this round anyhow (nor do I want them to, so adjust the time appropriately if it looks like they're gonna get more in, but I really doubt it, Elaine is no Jim Perry or Tom Bergeron as a reader)

Play the rest of the game as normal. (I would try to make sure that the third round always involves some kind of visual media, if nothing else as a nod to the Liar's Club Art Gallery.) Oh, yeah: Institute a rule (signed off on by the players when they sign their agreements, doesn't need to be explained on-air) that all wagers are to be in multiples of 50 points. This ain't Jeopardy, there is no reason the math needs to be made harder for the folks at home.

Bonus game: Don't change A THING. "But it's too much like Whew!" Yeah, MORE SHOWS should be like Whew!. I might approach it a little differently, tho. Tell them that nine correct answers gets them the prize, play the round, and THEN, if they don't make it, go through the rigamarole with the letters as a Second Chance thing. (Kinda like Barker does with Bullseye on TPiR.)

Prize budget: Sure, I'd like to see them play for dollars instead of points in the front game, and I'd like to see Ten Large in the bonus round instead of a vacation and some crappy watches. I'm sure THEY'D love to see that, too. But this is PAX we're talking about, folks. Their budget is what it is, wishing won't make it so, and bitching that the budget needs to be bigger demonstrates your own ignorance about how this all works. Yeah, it needs to be, it isn't, live with it.

So that's my take. Really, as it is now, it's a totally inoffensive way to spend a half-hour, but I won't go out of my way to watch it, and I certainly won't be setting any Season Passes on the Tivo.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 04:11:18 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:07:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:20 AM\'] I understand the knock that only four questions were played, but then I would turn around and point out that both Liar's Club and Match Game only played four questions, and MG at least is held in high reverence by this group. (Liar's Club, maybe not so much, but it was always a favorite of mine.)

[/quote]
While it is true MG had 4 questions per each main game, they usually did more then 4 for an entire show. So to me, that argument doesn't hold water.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 01:07:37 PM by adamjk »

clemon79

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 01:58:29 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 10:07 AM\'] While it is true MG had 4 questions per each main game, they usually did more then 4 for an entire show. So to me, that argument doesn't hold water. [/quote]
 Oh boy. I'm screwed now.

Fine, how about Tattletales? And it (like Liar's Club) didn't even have an endgame.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 11:13:55 PM »
Quit counting questions. Do you enjoy the show? Are you amused and engaged? Would you watch again?

All else is bread crumbs.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 11:14:18 PM by chris319 »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 10:11:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:20 AM\'] Oh, yeah: Institute a rule ... that all wagers are to be in multiples of 50 points. This ain't Jeopardy, there is no reason the math needs to be made harder for the folks at home.
 [/quote]
 I kinda got the impression that the un-rounded numbers were encouraged--for potential comedic value.
czambo@mac.com

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 10:54:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 09:11 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:20 AM\'] Oh, yeah: Institute a rule ... that all wagers are to be in multiples of 50 points. This ain't Jeopardy, there is no reason the math needs to be made harder for the folks at home.
 [/quote]
I kinda got the impression that the un-rounded numbers were encouraged--for potential comedic value. [/quote]
 Did you see that, Mabel? That guy coulda bet 1000 points, but instead he bet 837!!!
Haw! Haw Haw! Haw! Haw!

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 11:34:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 07:54 AM\'] [quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 09:11 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:20 AM\'] Oh, yeah: Institute a rule ... that all wagers are to be in multiples of 50 points. This ain't Jeopardy, there is no reason the math needs to be made harder for the folks at home.
 [/quote]
I kinda got the impression that the un-rounded numbers were encouraged--for potential comedic value. [/quote]
Did you see that, Mabel? That guy coulda bet 1000 points, but instead he bet 837!!!
Haw! Haw Haw! Haw! Haw! [/quote]
 Gotta go with Don, here. I don't see the humor in it.

"420, y0."

SplitSecond

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 11:48:05 AM »
Knowing the contestant coordinators personally, and knowing that they wouldn't encourage random numbers "just because" without a really good reason, I can only think of two possibilities:

1) Contestants are doing it "just because".
2) A non-round score opens the door for your opponent to make a stupid math error when it comes time for the final round, especially in light of the 2:1 payoff.  These ain't Jeopardy! contestants.

That said, I do find the non-round numbers annoying, and I wish there was a rule (as Chris said, part of the contestant briefing and the bible, not on-air language) that players could only bet in multiples of 50... or 25, 10... heck, even 5.

I wonder how long it will be until a contestant bets 181 on the first round and blows it on purpose.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 01:42:21 PM »
Okay, more silliness than humor.  And even that would be slim at best, I'll agree.
czambo@mac.com