Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Jeopardy! theme song  (Read 12895 times)

drmusic_99

Best Jeopardy! theme song
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2004, 01:08:20 AM »
The only problem, which I think they recognized, with the long "spacey" intro is that you didn't hear enough of the actual Jeopardy! melody. The intro lasted just as long as the player introductions, and didn't burst into the familiar song until Alex was already making his way onto the stage.

S2X

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2004, 01:38:13 AM »
I like the current theme as well.  The 1984 theme ranks second.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2004, 11:22:13 AM »
The current version will do for me.

I may be in the minority, but I've never really cared for the theme from Trebek's version of the show.  I think it's probably grown on me though.

My favorite all-time "Jeopardy" theme is actually the one they used on the brief NBC 1978 revival with Art Fleming.  Too bad that doesn't exist clean and complete in the trade curcuit.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2004, 12:43:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 10:22 AM\']My favorite all-time "Jeopardy" theme is actually the one they used on the brief NBC 1978 revival with Art Fleming.  Too bad that doesn't exist clean and complete in the trade curcuit.[/quote]
And recycled as a "Wheel" prize cue.

For anyone who has Merv's "Themes I've Dreamed" album:  Is the '78 "J!" theme on there?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2004, 12:51:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 10:22 AM\'] My favorite all-time "Jeopardy" theme is actually the one they used on the brief NBC 1978 revival with Art Fleming.  Too bad that doesn't exist clean and complete in the trade curcuit. [/quote]
 What he said.  Since the OP referred to the Trebek version only, I didn't bother putting in my two Lincolns--but I'll take the 1978-79 version any day (even the contestant arrival music was enjoyable).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

gtbecbp

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2004, 01:19:14 PM »
The 78 music was neat, it was used in the first Trebek pilot, IIRC.  Does anyne know if the intro video to that pilot is still up?  I remember seeing it somewhere recently.

Ben
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 01:19:57 PM by gtbecbp »

HairMetalLives

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2004, 03:19:05 PM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 10:08 PM\'] The intro lasted just as long as the player introductions, and didn't burst into the familiar song until Alex was already making his way onto the stage. [/quote]
 Which I thought was not a problem at all. In fact, I liked it that way. If they though it was such an issue, they could have given Johnny Gilbert some hokey pokey to say like: "They're here to do something with a fast paced game of answers and questions: Jeopardy! And here's your host: Alex Trebeck!" or something like that so you could hear more of the theme.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2004, 03:52:32 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 12:19 PM\'] they could have given Johnny Gilbert some hokey pokey to say like: "They're here to do something with a fast paced game of answers and questions: Jeopardy! And here's your host: Alex Trebeck!" [/quote]
 WOW would that have sucked. :)

One of THE GREAT things about Jeopardy is that it requires no hokum. "This...is...Jeopardy!" Boom. Everyone knows what's gonna happen for the next half hour. Get Trebek out here and let's get the party started. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HairMetalLives

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2004, 04:29:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 12:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 12:19 PM\'] they could have given Johnny Gilbert some hokey pokey to say like: "They're here to do something with a fast paced game of answers and questions: Jeopardy! And here's your host: Alex Trebeck!" [/quote]
WOW would that have sucked. :)

One of THE GREAT things about Jeopardy is that it requires no hokum. "This...is...Jeopardy!" Boom. Everyone knows what's gonna happen for the next half hour. Get Trebek out here and let's get the party started. :) [/quote]
 My thoughts exactly! I don't think they should have cut the opening, and I don't think they should have given Gilbert any B.S. to say. I think they should have left well enough alone.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2004, 07:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 03:52 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 03:21 PM\'] And Frank, I've heard the full version of the current theme.  It's not put together the same way as the other three.  What you hear at the end of the show is the end of the song. [/quote]
Um... didn't they play the fourth verse for the $1 million Tournement of Champoins, though?  And occasionally, you can still hear the fourth verse when they go to commercial, if it takes them long enough to fade out.  Which happens every now and then.

...I'm pretty positive, at least.[/quote]
I think I see what's confusing you. Currently, at the end of each show, after the pre-recorded sponsor plugs, the theme is not starting from the beginning. Rather, it is back-timed (and I have no idea if that is the proper term)--added in post-production so that the music will end right when "Created by Merv Griffin" pops onto the screen. The music's starting point is based entirely on how many seconds are left in the show.

In fact, if you stick around for the credits often enough, you'll be able to tell when they're going to fill time with the full credits, because you'll hear the end of the "fourth verse" at the beginning of that segment.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2004, 10:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 04:32 PM\'] Rather, it is back-timed (and I have no idea if that is the proper term)--added in post-production so that the music will end right when "Created by Merv Griffin" pops onto the screen. [/quote]
 That is exactly the proper term for it.

The other way to do it, if you were mixing it in live instead of adding it in post, would be to do a "deadroll": say your music runs 1:30 and you want it to hit the ending at 28:30, you would "deadroll" your music - that is, start the music with the source turned down on the board - at the 27:00 mark, and then fade it in when needed, secure in the knowledge that the track will end right at 28:00, because you made sure your cartridges were cued before you started taping. (You DID check all your carts before the show, right? ;))

sshuffield70

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2004, 11:05:28 PM »
But, Chris, what happened to the other 30 seconds? :) :)

clemon79

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2004, 11:37:03 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 08:05 PM\'] But, Chris, what happened to the other 30 seconds? :) :) [/quote]
 They're IN MY PANTS. Perhaps you'd like to reach in and find them. :)

(Dammit, I double-checked that, too. A lesser man would edit the post. I will not.)

J.R.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2004, 01:24:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 10:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 08:05 PM\'] But, Chris, what happened to the other 30 seconds? :) :) [/quote]
They're IN MY PANTS. Perhaps you'd like to reach in and find them. :)

(Dammit, I double-checked that, too. A lesser man would edit the post. I will not.) [/quote]
 I tried and all I found were stolen government documents ! : )

OBGameshows: "Bullseye" taped at Television City
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

GS Warehouse

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2004, 04:53:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 11:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 08:05 PM\'] But, Chris, what happened to the other 30 seconds? :) :) [/quote]
They're IN MY PANTS. Perhaps you'd like to reach in and find them. :) [/quote]
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not going there.

ObGS: If Lemon appears on this What the Blank thing, no matter in what on-camera capacity, the censors would be asking for a pay raise.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 04:58:24 PM by GS Warehouse »