Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 5 questions of this week...  (Read 5507 times)

tvwxman

The 5 questions of this week...
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 06:47:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 03:58 AM\'] For my 500th post, here goes:

1.  I thought Camaflauge from 1980 was a good show as a pilot.  I always wanted to see an updated version of Video Village(even though I haven't seen it).  The fact that you had to trace a hidden object in a picture was intresting, and the music was so cool too.

2.  No comment.

3.  Stacey from Lingo doesn't do a thing for me as a hostess except for her looks.

4.  No comment.

5.  I thought Wipeout was a good show when it came on the scene in 1988.  I guess Peter Tomarken probably forgotten about PYL by then. [/quote]

#1, Camoflouge was an acutal series. Look it up. Honestly. Another incorrect post (What number is THAT one?)

#2, Why does your counter say post #501 for your #500th post?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

DrBear

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 11:19:00 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 04:47 AM\'] #2, Why does your counter say post #501 for your #500th post? [/quote]
 I think we've gone through this before - the post counter by your name shows your current status when somebody looks at it. This may have been his 500th post and he's made one since in another thread, so when you call it up later, he's at 501,
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

JamesVipond

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 11:50:46 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 04:34 PM\']1. From the pilots that you may have seen, which one was the best and should have been sold as a series?

2. What are you recollections of LMAD 80'? (I have asked about this before, but there's very little info on this version on the internet!)

3. Who's the worst Game show hostess you've ever seen?

4. Was there ever a rumor to redesign the TPIR set in the late 90's? I read this somewhere...or was I dreaming?

5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'.[/quote]
1. I liked We've Got Your Number when I saw it on the Shokus Video tape, despite its similarities to High Rollers. Another pilot that I thought should have sold was Malcolm: Alex Trebek and his animated friend would have been just the thing to entertain a bedridden schoolchild if nothing else was on.

2. All I remember of the Canadian version is the animation of Monty Hall opening curtains: a pile of money behind #1, a car behind #2 and some farm animal behind #3. I think another animation had Monty on a flying carpet. Recently on GSN I saw the start of a Las Vegas episode where Monty introduced his daughter, Joanna Gleason.

3. I don't know of any bad game show hostesses.

4. I never knew of this rumor.

5. I thought All-Star Blitz, Classic Concentration and both versions of Now You See It should have run longer.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

ChuckNet

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 12:23:01 PM »
Was there a Door #4 in LMAD80? I know there was one for the 1984-86 revival (taped in L.A.), but I don't recall there being one for the 1980 version taped in Canada (maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure someone will call me on it if that's the case).

I think the orig. poster was confusing LMaD '80 w/LMaD '84.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 12:29:38 PM »
1. From the pilots that you may have seen, which one was the best and should have been sold as a series?

Probably have to say Twisters.

2. What are you recollections of LMAD 80'? (I have asked about this before, but there's very little info on this version on the internet!)

Low-budget (Big Deals worth between $4K-$5K?), but overall, a faithful revival, and I found it amusing that announcer Chuck Chandler bore a distinct resemblance to Monty's former sidekick, Jay Stewart. :-)

Salli Julian, hands down.

4. Was there ever a rumor to redesign the TPIR set in the late 90's? I read this somewhere...or was I dreaming?

And that's exactly what it was: a rumor. AFAIK, no consideration was ever given to redesigning the set.

5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'.

Well, besides BtB '76, I'd have to say Greed...it had strong ratings, and the only reason for its cancellation was a new Fox president who disliked the whole GS genre and thought the Fri-at-9 slot would be better served by ultimately short-lived wonders like Freakylinks and The Lone Gunman.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 12:36:02 PM »
1. From the pilots that you may have seen, which one was the best and should have been sold as a series?

21 starring Jim Lange.

2. What are your recollections of LMAD '80?

Done on the cheap (big deals in the $4000-$5000 range), but still lots of fun to watch and good theme music. Chuck Chandler was a fine announcer, too.

Diana Taylor on Classic Concentration.

I've never been in your dreams, so I don't know.

5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly?

Besides the one you don't want me to mention, I would say Blockbusters--the Bill Cullen version. Texas was a God-awful soap opera which should've been canned; not moved to 11am. Thankfully, at the end of 1982 it was and room was made for three new games (courtesy of The Doctors getting bounced as well).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 12:38:59 PM by Don Howard »

rugrats1

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2004, 12:56:15 PM »
2. All I remember of the Canadian version is the animation of Monty Hall opening curtains: a pile of money behind #1, a car behind #2 and some farm animal behind #3. I think another animation had Monty on a flying carpet.

Actually, according to a website I saw awhile back (which I am unable to find at present), I think the mid-1970s version had the animated opening, with Monty on a large, flying dollar bill passing by door #1 (a car), door #2 (a cruise ship) and door #3 (a donkey).

I only saw a couple of episodes of the 1980 Deal when I was a kid, and I think the opening was just contestants celebrating their wins. It's been 24 years since I saw it, so I'm a little fizzy on that detail.

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2004, 01:38:40 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 11:56 AM\'] Actually, according to a website I saw awhile back (which I am unable to find at present), I think the mid-1970s version had the animated opening, with Monty on a large, flying dollar bill passing by door #1 (a car), door #2 (a cruise ship) and door #3 (a donkey). [/quote]
 You're right...the 70s version had that awful animated opening (because it was so primitive). I remember seeing it during the FAM era and immediately thinking it was LMAD80, then being slightly disappointed to find it wasn't.

Does anyone have screengrabs from LMAD80? I'd LOVE to see this.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

takinover

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2004, 03:57:13 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 04:34 PM\'] 5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'. [/quote]
 "Wintuition", "Greed", "2 Minute Drill".

Yet somehow "Elimidate", "The Fifth Wheel" and "Street Smarts" continue to live on.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 04:38:55 PM »
1. Split Decision
2. Never saw it.
3. Tami Anderson
4. Not that I remember.
5. Press Your Luck. It never had a chance to say goodbye.

rugrats1

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 05:17:23 PM »
5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'.

That, and "Match Game 79".

sshuffield70

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 05:24:32 PM »
[quote name=\'takinover\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 02:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 04:34 PM\'] 5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'. [/quote]
"Wintuition", "Greed", "2 Minute Drill".

Yet somehow "Elimidate", "The Fifth Wheel" and "Street Smarts" continue to live on. [/quote]
 You'll be elated to hear that "The 5th Wheel" was cancelled.

takinover

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2004, 07:55:19 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 04:24 PM\'] You'll be elated to hear that "The 5th Wheel" was cancelled. [/quote]

Woo-hoo
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 07:56:02 PM by takinover »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2004, 08:31:58 PM »
[quote name=\'takinover\' date=\'Jul 11 2004, 07:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 10 2004, 04:24 PM\'] You'll be elated to hear that "The 5th Wheel" was cancelled. [/quote]

Woo-hoo [/quote]
 Ben Stein joined this group?!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2004, 09:38:55 AM »

From what I read, Bill Carruthers was trying to shop "Press Your Luck" for syndication in the fall of 1986 for 18 weeks of new shows, followed by 8 weeks of reruns.  I guess not enough stations were interested because it never happened.  The show was eventually syndicated in the spring of 1987, with 26 weeks of repeats from 1985.  It moved to USA after that.

That could be why they didn't say goodbye on the last episode.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!