Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 6 topics for discussion...  (Read 8135 times)

inturnaround

6 topics for discussion...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2004, 12:31:39 AM »
Geez, I'm only 27 and having people saying missing game shows during the Gulf War or the USA block of game shows in the early 90s is their first game show memory is making me feel old.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

LA the DJ

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2004, 12:46:25 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 08:36 AM\'] Here are six questions for you to answer (I added an extra one because of the long weekend)

1. What did you like about LMAD 03'? IMHO, this version gets a lot of flack despite it's closeness to the original show (minus that 1 risque deal).

2. What's the worst prize you ever saw offered on shopping-era Wheel of Fortune?'
(I would say the $35,000 oriental rug, or the $40,000 shipboard party)

3. What game show, past or present, do you think is totally underrated?
(My decision is Karn Family Feud-granted it's not a good as it was before, but it's still an enjoyable way to spend a half-hour-but not "appointment televison," Mind you :-)

4. Not counting the proposed revival of Match Game, what show do you think is most likely for a revival?

5. What's your first memory of watching a game show?

6. And finally, do you like your state's (region) lottery show? Name your state, and your answer. [/quote]
 1.  Never got to see it. They didn't give it a long enough chance for me to have caught it.
2.  I'm gonna go with the rug, as well.
3.  Blockbusters was a great quizzer, IMO.
4.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Tic Tac Dough.
5.  It was either MGHSH or TTD. As a kid, I was scared of the dragon.
6.  Not at all (Ohio Lottery's Cash Explosion Double Play). The original Cash Explosion "money mountain" was more fun, IMO
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2004, 06:13:11 AM »
1.  LMAD'03 was OK except that Billy Bush was  definitely NOT Monty Hall.

2.  I'll go with the majority & say the ceramic dalmation.

3.  I thought Break The Bank '76 was a great show.  BTB'85 was allright too, but the original stood out for me.  I liked the sound effect whenever a blank space was revealed.  BOOOING!

4.  Gotta go with Concentration here.

5.  Going back to the late 60's with this one.  I was about 4 1/2 when The Newlywed Game was on.  I was taking a nap & for some strange reason, the theme music woke me up & I had to investigate.  I also remembered watching the syndicated HS with Peter Marshall that I had to cover my ears whenever they played that loud sounding time's up buzzer.  Man that scared me.

6.  Though I travel between Pennsylvania & New Jersey.  Powerball Instant Millionaire is my lottery show to watch.

J.R.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2004, 07:32:10 AM »
Tonight I was discussing this with my dad and he told me that he can actually remember watching Thom McKee's run in 1980 ! He also said his earliest memory was "To Tell The Truth" circa 1960.

My mother was a fan of the original Fleming Jeopardy!
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 07:32:26 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Ian Wallis

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2004, 09:04:21 AM »
The late-70s Cross-Wits... I loved the show, and watched it whenever I could during visits to my grandmother's house in Florida. I don't remember ever seeing it at home, and am not sure it even aired in Rochester. (Ian Wallis, where are you?)

I'm here!!  Yes, it did air in Rochester.  Channel 8, WROC picked it up from about December 1975 almost to the end.  Channel 4 Buffalo picked it up about a year later.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2004, 09:19:10 AM »
1. What did you like about LMAD 03'?
Bringing Monty back. Also, I found Vance to be entertaining.

2. What's the worst prize you ever saw offered on shopping-era Wheel of Fortune?
How much time do you have?

I don't agree that the 1976 Break The Bank was underrated as whenever that show is brought up in this forum, good things are always said about it. Unappreciated by a bigwig named Fred is what that show was. 45 minute soap operas. Indeed. As far as underrated, I'll give that to Shoot For The Stars. That was a great thinking person's show.

4. Not counting the proposed revival of Match Game, what show do you think is most likely for a revival?
I know I'm biased because I love the show to pieces, but $ale of the Century with the rules used for the first year of the 1980s syndicated run {all the prizes as the 2nd-to-top tier and all the prizes plus the escalating jackpot as the top rung}.

5. What's your first memory of watching a game show?
Video Village. Jack Narz rules!

6. And finally, do you like your state's (region) lottery show? Name your state, and your answer.
Ohio is the state. Cash Explosion Double Play is the show. Leilani Barrett and Michelle Duda are the teleprompter-challenged hosts. I don't like it at all. The Ohio Lottery Show with Don Webster and Barney Tremblay during the swingin' 70s was infinitely better. John E. Douglas is a good announcer, though.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2004, 09:36:49 AM »
I don't agree that the 1976 Break The Bank was underrated as whenever that show is brought up in this forum, good things are always said about it.

I'd have to agree.  I'm almost willing to bet the folks at GSN agreed too - the show was never featured on "Faux Pause Picks" (which made fun of some of the rarer shows), which seemed to indicate they didn't put "BTB"in the same category as some of the shows that were featured.  

It's just a shame that GSN couldn't have found a regular spot on the schedule for the show, other than that one six month period of once-weekly airings.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2004, 03:05:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 08:19 AM\'] 45 minute soap operas. Indeed. [/quote]
 I'm kind of curious about this one. I've heard of the 45-minute soaps, but what was done with the remaining 15 minutes. It just sounds awkward, although I see a day when half-hour shows will all convert to 45 minutes, to add more material...NBC already has their "Super-Size" sitcoms.

ObGameShows: Wasn't that Pyramid episode of "Friends" super-sized?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2004, 03:07:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 02:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 08:19 AM\'] 45 minute soap operas. Indeed. [/quote]
I'm kind of curious about this one. I've heard of the 45-minute soaps, but what was done with the remaining 15 minutes. [/quote]
Both One Life To Live and General Hospital were expanded from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. That meant a half hour sacrifice had to be made. Enter Break The Bank. Actually, exit Break The Bank. The other ABC soaps were only 30 minutes long at the time, so there was no odd 15-minute gap to fill. In retrospect, I wish Hot Seat had never premiered and they'd left Break The Bank alone.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 03:09:40 PM by Don Howard »

dzinkin

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2004, 03:10:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 09:04 AM\']
The late-70s Cross-Wits... I loved the show, and watched it whenever I could during visits to my grandmother's house in Florida. I don't remember ever seeing it at home, and am not sure it even aired in Rochester. (Ian Wallis, where are you?)

I'm here!!  Yes, it did air in Rochester.  Channel 8, WROC picked it up from about December 1975 almost to the end.  Channel 4 Buffalo picked it up about a year later. [/quote]
 Guess there must have been something else I preferred at the same time... or maybe I did see it and blocked out those memories. :-)