Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 5 Topics for discussion....  (Read 7790 times)

tvwxman

5 Topics for discussion....
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 08:06:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 07:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 06:54 PM\'] I have a few things to say about Wheel:
 [/quote]
 Who here is absolutely STUNNED that tmq actually gave us a post full of wheel opinion, instead of his usual (who won/how much/why hasn't steve posted) drivel???

I'm floored. Is there a full moon out?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

whewfan

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2004, 08:07:19 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 03:11 PM\']
 [/quote]
 1. Was Big Deal Really that bad? I remember watching it and not thinking it was that bad....

It's bad if you were expecting a faithful remake of LMAD, and the only parts of Big Deal that had any REAL resemblance to LMAD were the "zonks" and the "Big Deal" with 3 screens (instead of 3 big doors). Other than that, the contestants were put through stupid stunts (for example, an Elvis impersonator contest, complete with guest judge Wink Martindale, and the Big Deal opera lady was somehow involved in another stunt) Mark DeCarlo (SOTC champ and Studs host) was as much Monty Hall as Pat Finn was Jack Barry.

What are your thoughts on LMAD 90'?

I liked it! Bob Hilton gave Deal his best shot, but as Hilton told us at GSC9, Monty just wasn't happy with the way Bob was doing the show. Monty intended on auditioning other hosts, but against his will, ended up doing the show himself. Monty said he never intended to do Deal himself, but the O and O's basically told him that either he host it himself, or no more LMAD. Monty knew how to be the "big dealer", the guy that you see on the street and says "Hey bud... come 'ere!" and you just don't know if you can trust him. Hilton, to me, just went through the motions. I think the newest revival of LMAD did the "Monty handing over the mike" transition well. Billy Bush was the new host, but Monty definitely was not forgotten, as his face appeared during the show's intro, and Monty had intended to do guest spots (as opposed to an entire show) and I liked LMAD in an hourlong format.

3. Has anyone else started watching Wheel of Fortune more these days?

Not me, personally. Yeah, it can be a hoot to watch once in a while, but even with the new wrinkles they keep adding, it doesn't make me want to watch every day anymore. I think next time Wheel does a retro week, they should somehow get Chuck Woolery involved and let him guest host. If Lingo doesn't get renewed, Chuck just might be interested! After all, Monty returned to LMAD, Dawson returned to Feud, Peter Marshall did HS, Geoff Edwards returned to Jackpot, so I think it would be appropriate for Chuck to come back to Wheel, even if it's just for one show.

did anyone see the TNPIR94 pilot set with Mark Kriski? Was it more faithful to the traditional set, or more similar to the 94 set?

Based on the intro for Davidson's TPIR, the pilot probably had spotlights around the curtains (a la the TPIR Specials in 86) but for some reason those spotlights were not used for the series. I have a clip of Kriski doing funny bits during his weather forecasts, and also with him on the set of TPIR, and I think he would've made for a better host, based on what I saw. He obviously wanted the gig badly.

5. Was it true that Fremantle (or whatever they were then) wanted to bring back Feud in 97?

As mentioned before, Dolly Parton did a pilot, but the results were less than satisfactory. When we talked with Kevin (forget his last name) who produced MG 98 and other Wolpert shows at GSC9, he commented that set was still being designed, but the original set resembled a boxing arena and they were still deciding what to do with the theme music (whether to revive it with the familiar theme or do a remix that was reminiscent of the original theme). My guess on why they did a pilot with Dolly Parton was to give the show the "country twang" feel that the Dawson version had. Instead, they went with a cold silver and blue set and Louie Anderson.

HairMetalLives

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2004, 08:13:57 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 07:07 PM\'] I think next time Wheel does a retro week, they should somehow get Chuck Woolery involved and let him guest host. [/quote]
 Or Bob Goen & Rolf Burnbrenner or whatever his name is! [rim shot]

J.R.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2004, 10:14:23 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 07:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 07:07 PM\'] I think next time Wheel does a retro week, they should somehow get Chuck Woolery involved and let him guest host. [/quote]
Or Bob Goen & Rolf Burnbrenner or whatever his name is! [rim shot] [/quote]
 Is "Benirschke" really that hard to spell ? : )

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2004, 10:32:11 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 01:11 PM\'] 1. Was Big Deal Really that bad?
 [/quote]
 Yes.
2. What are your thoughts on LMAD 90'?
Never saw it. Like many markets, mine ran morning news instead.
3. Has anyone else started watching Wheel of Fortune more these days?
Nope. Blows as much as it has for many many years.
4. And this question may be a little Horan-esque (no offense Zach) but did anyone see the TNPIR94 pilot set with Mark Kriski?
No.
5. Was it true that Fremantle (or whatever they were then) wanted to bring back Feud in 97?
No idea. That was during my ATGS hiatus.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

digiblader

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2004, 11:14:16 PM »
1. Big Deal... (gag!)... I think I remember seeing it.. with this one time where someone was smashing a car up.. I think. Of course the stunts on that show were like that anyway. It sucked!

2. LMAD '90? Well, I liked the video wall on the set and the fact they were using a remix of the 84-86 theme.. but Bob Hilton should stick to announcing.
Heck, when Family aired LMAD 84-86, I thought they were airing the 1990 version, because their sets were fairly similar.. although there was no video wall in the 84-86 version
I don't remember hearing the announcer in the 1990 version, but my bet is he was no Brian Cummings or Dean Goss.

P.S.:
BTW, is it Score Productions who did the 84-86 LMAD theme?

3. Ugh! WOF isn't as good these days.. Bring back returning champs and give away that $100K sometime! The show's winnings pale now against Jeopardy!(especially with Ken Jennings winning more than $550K!)
I also wish they'd give away more than just trips as prizes in the front game.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2004, 11:30:07 PM »
Based on the intro for Davidson's TPIR, the pilot probably had spotlights around the curtains (a la the TPIR Specials in 86) but for some reason those spotlights were not used for the series.

The only other thing I know they used on the pilot - instead of the range finder they built for TnPIR in the showcase (which I thought was cool) they used the traditional Range Game prop, which meant more finer markings for the dollar amounts, but no great range in values like Davidson's eventual board had.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

mystery7

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2004, 11:34:20 PM »
I don't remember hearing the announcer in the 1990 version, but my bet is he was no Brian Cummings or Dean Goss.
That'd be a guy named Dean Muccio, and no, he was no Brian Cummings or Dean Goss. But he did do one other show that I know of, which was Family Secrets in about 1993. Bob Eubanks thing with a very short life on NBC.

P.S.: BTW, is it Score Productions who did the 84-86 LMAD theme?
No, but an incredible simulation. Todd Thicke (Alan's brother) and Sheldon Allman did all the music for the '80s run.

HairMetalLives

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2004, 02:15:05 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 10:34 PM\']
That'd be a guy named Dean Muccio... he did do one other show that I know of, which was Family Secrets in about 1993. [/quote]
 I believe it's Nuccio, and he also did "That's My Dog!" on the Family Channel from 1993(or 1992?)-1994.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2004, 02:24:35 AM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 25 2004, 01:15 AM\'] [quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 10:34 PM\']
That'd be a guy named Dean Muccio... he did do one other show that I know of, which was Family Secrets in about 1993. [/quote]
I believe it's Nuccio, and he also did "That's My Dog!" on the Family Channel from 1993(or 1992?)-1994. [/quote]
 Nope it was with an M. I think it was Mucchio.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Frank15

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2004, 04:57:04 AM »
One notable thing that bugs me about Wheel of Fortune nowadays is that "condensed screen" thing they frequently do during the contestant introductions, either for ads or to promote S.P.I.N.  It's not so much that they condense the screen so much that bothers me, but that they do it for the person who wins the first toss-up puzzle.  I mean, for the winner to be the one who gets the small screen... almost makes it seem not worth it to try to win that first toss-up puzzle, considering the losers get the "luxury full screen" treatment.

cmjb13

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2004, 06:14:19 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 11:34 PM\']
P.S.: BTW, is it Score Productions who did the 84-86 LMAD theme?
No, but an incredible simulation. Todd Thicke (Alan's brother) and Sheldon Allman did all the music for the '80s run.[/quote]
Score Productions has The All New Let's Make A Deal listed in their credits section.

http://www.scoreproductions.com/FCredit.html
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

LA the DJ

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 07:07:51 AM »
I thought The Big Deal was fine, as long as you didn't look at it and say "This is supposed to be LMaD?!?!?". TJW90 Syndrome, IMO
I've made many comments lately against the current state of Wheel. Way too many distractions from the actual game, too many plugs, and "team weeks"??? C'mon...If you're not smart enough to play WoF by yourself, you don't even need to be there.
As for the plugs, if you can't afford to give away so much money without the plugs, stop giving away so much. WoF got a serious case of Mo' Money syndrome and they need to stop. Returning champs would be nice, but we all know that's slowly becoming a thing of the past....Though maybe Mr. Jennings' J! run will do something to alter that.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2004, 08:58:04 AM »
I haven't watched "Wheel" regularly for years.  I'll catch it occasionally, especially season premieres and such, but there's usually more important things to do at 7 p.m.

As for "Big Deal", I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't think it was too bad.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 11:37:14 AM »
I probably should explain why I watch wheel more-

Granted, I don't watch anything every day-I'm lucky to watch TPIR, my favorite show, once a week. But usually at 7 p.m. every night, I'm sitting at home doing laundry, or getting ready to leave again. So I watch wheel. And Doggone it, I'm hooked again! Here's why:

-The set/theme. I think the new set is amazing. Wheel and J! can get away with frequent updates because they're, well, Wheel and J! I could never see a high tech set on TPIR. As for the theme, I have really grown to love this one. I really like hearing it when there are wins, and when Vanna and Charlie are describing the prizes that could be won. If you take the theme by itself, it sounds good, but of course, It pales in comparison to Big Wheels and Changing Keys.

-SOME of the mini-games. The Mystery round is cool. I like how they don't just offer cars. The Jackpot round is cool, but rarely won. I don't like the Prize Puzzle, though.

-The Tossups. I think only 2 would be ok, but IMHO, these are great ways to start the show.

-The bonus round change. Best change ever. 25 more times exciting than the old one- because of the big prize and the nicer smaller ones as well.

Granted, Wheel will never be at it's zenith as it was back in the 80s/90s, but i'm liking it again.

BTW, This is turning out to be a really responsive post! Keep it up people!
insert signature here