Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PIR Game That's Easiest to Win  (Read 6744 times)

Red

PIR Game That's Easiest to Win
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2004, 08:58:59 AM »
Hit Me. Get the Exact Price one. Get the one that is 10x, and You win. Easy Enough.
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2004, 10:42:21 AM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 05:13 AM\'] Actually, not all products enable a win.  The game frequently uses items that you cannot reach $20-21 alone.  Some examples:. [/quote]
 Well, I stand corrected.

Brandon Brooks

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2004, 03:05:42 AM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 05:13 AM\'] Actually, not all products enable a win.  The game frequently uses items that you cannot reach $20-21 alone.  Some examples:
 [/quote]
 Furthermore, back in about 2000, those Austin Dolphins and Elephant cheddar crackers (a knock-off of Goldfish Crackers) featured three different sizes:

A snack pack tray (about $1.30)
A container with a lid
A large box. (about $4.59)

Contestants never seem to pay attention to package size; and if you thought that large box was $1.30; you were toast.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2004, 03:14:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 02:05 AM\'] [quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 05:13 AM\'] Actually, not all products enable a win.  The game frequently uses items that you cannot reach $20-21 alone.  Some examples:
 [/quote]
Furthermore, back in about 2000, those Austin Dolphins and Elephant cheddar crackers (a knock-off of Goldfish Crackers) featured three different sizes:

A container with a lid
A large box. (about $4.59)

Contestants never seem to pay attention to package size; and if you thought that large box was $1.30; you were toast. [/quote]
 Hey, Dolphins and Friends. Now WHY do I remember that product? :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2004, 04:49:28 AM »
IIRC, the package that has a lid on it might've been $2.99 or something like that.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2004, 08:25:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 30 2004, 03:05 AM\'] [quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 05:13 AM\'] Actually, not all products enable a win.  The game frequently uses items that you cannot reach $20-21 alone.  Some examples:
 [/quote]

A container with a lid
A large box. (about $4.59) [/quote]
 Not three, four.  A $1.29 6-pack, a $1.49 canister, a $2.39 container, and a $4.79 "milk carton."

(I've been watching Season 28 shows lately.  Sue me.)

CarShark

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2004, 01:02:01 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 02:55 AM\']There is a difference.[/quote]
No, there isn't. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Although you are closer and have a larger margin for error, that advantage could easily be overridden. If you do utilize your strategy, I would think that it would increase your chances of (1) running out of products if you overestimate the prices or (2) getting trapped near the target with the remaining products being too expensive to win.

It's obvious that the best way to attack the game is by taking a couple of each product, like you said, but I think I could go further than that. If you work your way from the most expensive to least, you would keep the increasing margin for error, but you won't be as likely to get trapped. I've been trying that on BigJon's game and have been doing a lot better.

You're right about one thing, I forgot to factor in how people played the game. A quick check of golden-road.net shows the truth.
-In the 12 times the game was played, no one used more than three items.
-Three people only used one item, and only one of them managed to win. (That includes Patricia from the Teachers' MDS, who insisted on buying 27 cans of Bruce's Yams!)
-Seven used two items, and they didn't fare much better, finishing with a record of 1-6.
-The other two that used three items both lost.

I think it's safe to say that you're right. Grocery Game's record would be better if contestants utilized the "A little of everything" strategy. If you add that[/t] to my "highest to lowest" strategy, it would lead to even more winners. Grocery Game doesn't look so hard to me anymore.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 01:03:03 PM by STYDfan »