Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grandest host entrance  (Read 4772 times)

aaron sica

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 03:57:14 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 01:57 PM\'] The coolest thing about Bob's entrance is that thing he does with his hands as he walks out the doors. Also, I think it's cool when he enters through the audience, and slaps everybody's hands as he comes down the aisle. [/quote]
 Adam, I don't know what you mean by "that thing he does with his hands as he walks out the doors" but now you've got me curious...

bclark71

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 04:16:59 PM »
Concerning Bob Barker's entrance on The Price is Right:

Bob Barker's entrance is my absolute favorite - especially from 1980-1987, when the camera person would perform a very fast zoom out to a full shot of the doors.

...plus...

...and just the way [Johnny Olsen] said Bob's name from at least 1980-1985 upon introducing him.....Dragging out "Bob" but real short on "Barker"...

...equals the best opening on television, ever, IMHO.  I remember a quote from Johnny where he said that when he introduced Bob at the opening of the show, "That's it for me.  I feel like I'm living!"

I still miss him.

aaron sica

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 04:18:56 PM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 04:16 PM\'] ...equals the best opening on television, ever, IMHO.  I remember a quote from Johnny where he said that when he introduced Bob at the opening of the show, "That's it for me.  I feel like I'm living!"

I still miss him. [/quote]
 I, too, have seen that quote as well....I'd be damned if I knew where, though....

You should hear our own Randy West do Johnny O. saying "Come on DOWN!!!", anyone who's heard it can attest...It's like Johnny is CHANNELING through him...

adamjk

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 04:46:50 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 02:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 01:57 PM\'] The coolest thing about Bob's entrance is that thing he does with his hands as he walks out the doors. Also, I think it's cool when he enters through the audience, and slaps everybody's hands as he comes down the aisle. [/quote]
Adam, I don't know what you mean by "that thing he does with his hands as he walks out the doors" but now you've got me curious... [/quote]
 What I am speaking of is when the doors open, as he walks out, he pushes out his arms slightly.

joshg

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 04:56:54 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 12:46 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 02:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 01:57 PM\'] The coolest thing about Bob's entrance is that thing he does with his hands as he walks out the doors. Also, I think it's cool when he enters through the audience, and slaps everybody's hands as he comes down the aisle. [/quote]
Adam, I don't know what you mean by "that thing he does with his hands as he walks out the doors" but now you've got me curious... [/quote]
What I am speaking of is when the doors open, as he walks out, he pushes out his arms slightly.[/quote]
Oh yes... the 'Barker Push'. He does that little arm movement to kickstart 'ol Barker... that's a long walk for an 80 year old man, you know.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Kevin Prather

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004, 05:26:21 PM »
Wasn't there one point in time on PYL where Peter entered from behind the board? Somewhere, I saw a picture of him right in front of the board walking "stage-left", I don't know if this was an entrance though.

Winkfan

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004, 05:59:50 PM »
My top choice is Geno's entrances on MG '7X. You'd never know how he was gonna appear from day to day!

I'd also include Jim Lange on the ORIGINAL Dating Game, Bob Eubanks on the ORIGINAL Newlywed Game, and David Ruprecht on Supermarket Sweep. Several times, the latter host would run out into the audience during the first two seasons of SS. (Gee, I wish'd saved episodes when he did that!)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Fannie Flagg of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 06:01:10 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

ITSBRY

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 06:49:04 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 03:18 PM\'] You should hear our own Randy West do Johnny O. saying "Come on DOWN!!!", anyone who's heard it can attest...It's like Johnny is CHANNELING through him... [/quote]
 His Rod Roddy's pretty dead on too...it's spookey!!!  :-)

tyshaun1

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 07:57:56 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 04:26 PM\'] Wasn't there one point in time on PYL where Peter entered from behind the board? Somewhere, I saw a picture of him right in front of the board walking "stage-left", I don't know if this was an entrance though. [/quote]
Nah. Peter usually walked up to the board for some mini-skits during the 1985-86 season. They eventually had Savage Holland/Bill Kopp record some lines for the show right before board round 2. TTBOMK, Peter never entered from any other area besides stage left, except for maybe the Xmas '85 show.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 07:58:20 PM by tyshaun1 »

Steve McClellan

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 11:58:48 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 01:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 04:16 PM\'] ...equals the best opening on television, ever, IMHO.  I remember a quote from Johnny where he said that when he introduced Bob at the opening of the show, "That's it for me.  I feel like I'm living!"

I, too, have seen that quote as well....I'd be damned if I knew where, though.... [/quote]
Come on Down!!!, page 151.

Don't worry - in a moment, I'll be going down to view the game that intrigued a nation...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 12:00:05 AM by gameshowsteve »

TheInquisitiveOne

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2004, 12:18:23 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 10:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 01:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 04:16 PM\'] ...equals the best opening on television, ever, IMHO.  I remember a quote from Johnny where he said that when he introduced Bob at the opening of the show, "That's it for me.  I feel like I'm living!"

I, too, have seen that quote as well....I'd be damned if I knew where, though.... [/quote]

Don't worry - in a moment, I'll be going down to view the game that intrigued a nation... [/quote]
 Speaking of said book, I wonder if it can be found anywhere. I haven't seen that book for almost 8 years.

Was it really that old?

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Don Howard

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2004, 12:22:54 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 11:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 10:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 01:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 04:16 PM\'] ...equals the best opening on television, ever, IMHO.  I remember a quote from Johnny where he said that when he introduced Bob at the opening of the show, "That's it for me.  I feel like I'm living!"

Don't worry - in a moment, I'll be going down to view the game that intrigued a nation... [/quote]
Speaking of said book, I wonder if it can be found anywhere. I haven't seen that book for almost 8 years.

Was it really that old?

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
I believe it was released in 1988. I found a copy at the library. Don't know if it's available in bookstores. You can ask, I suppose, and hopefully they'll be able to order it for you. Great first-hand interviews, including one with Jack Narz, where he talks about being unable to find hosting work anymore.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 12:23:56 AM by Don Howard »

Jay Temple

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2004, 01:06:06 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 12:24 PM\'] The $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid. [/quote]
 If you treat the celebrity entrances and the host entrance as a single entity, all versions of Pyramid except Osmond's rank right up there.  The entrance made "today's special guests" seem, well, special.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Steve McClellan

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2004, 01:25:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 09:22 PM\'][quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 18 2004, 11:18 PM\']

Was it really that old?

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
I believe it was released in 1988. I found a copy at the library. Don't know if it's available in bookstores. You can ask, I suppose, and hopefully they'll be able to order it for you. Great first-hand interviews, including one with Jack Narz, where he talks about being unable to find hosting work anymore.[/quote]
Half.com has copies ranging in price from $5.99 to $147.06. I happened to get my copy in a dollar store some years back. I'm very thankful that I talked my parents into paying the 106 Lincolns for it. :)

johnnya2k3

Grandest host entrance
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2004, 02:47:59 AM »
What about the funniest entrances? Other than Jim Peck's "You people would applaud a lynching!", three others spring to mind:

From the Aussie $ale of the Century, the host said "Mmm, yes, it's Friday, yes...whoaa!!" when he slid and probably crashed.

Match Game '78 when Gene Rayburn decided to run around the studio; when he came back on stage, he slipped, and one of the cameramen helped him up.

Perfect Match (the Aussie version), when Greg Evans after his intro immediately tumbled face down.

Australian WOF: The host slipping while making his way to the wheel, and the co-host helping him up.

Those except the one from MG78 were seen on Most Outrageous Game Show Moments 2.

Jonathan Allen