Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Better to be a Loser?  (Read 3912 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 02:21:52 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 7 2004, 08:46 PM\'] Now a question back. Other than tech support issues is there a reason to buy from Dell at a higher price when the PCs from e-machines and all them other names at the big box stores advertise the same hardware specs at a lower price? Is 3.0 Mhz, 512 RAM, 80 Gig the same and equally reliable no matter whose name is on it?
 [/quote]
 First off, there is "e-machine", and there is "all the other names".
I understand the quality has improved a little from when they first came on the scene, but taking nothing away from Klaussie, I'm of the opinion that e-machines are piles of Grade A Crappe.

Now, for what you want (Web, word processing, maybe some A/V editing, and pr0n), I doubt you'll need high-end 3D stuff, but the e-machine folks use cheaper parts that might not have very good driver support. Most of the Compaqs and Dells and HP machines at the big-box stores don't have that problem, and those are just fine.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whampyl03

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 02:56:35 AM »
Now a question back. Other than tech support issues is there a reason to buy from Dell at a higher price when the PCs from e-machines and all them other names at the big box stores advertise the same hardware specs at a lower price? Is 3.0 Mhz, 512 RAM, 80 Gig the same and equally reliable no matter whose name is on it?

Well, sometimes computer companies will ask for from vendors, or will produce "water down", inferior hardware just to say that the mentioned hardware is in their system, mainly to turn a higher profit.  Of course, the only real way that I've heard of to combat this problem is to build your own computer, or dig for a small Mom & Pop computer company that advertises that none of there hardware is "watered down", or something along those lines.

But, if you don't feel like going through that hassle...

From personal experience, as for hardware, Dell machines have given me the less number of headaches, while anything from HP or Compaq tends to make my brain explode in anguish and horror.

At the Compaq machine that I'm sitting at now, I've had to replace:
  • Speakers
  • Video Card
  • All RAM
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Floppy Drive
Among other components that I cannot think of right now.

As for HP, I have had some problems much similar to the problems I'm having/I have had with my Compaq machine.  Dell machines have operated real well for me, though.  As stated before, I've had less headaches overall.  If you don't feel like building a machine, or getting a smaller company or somebody else to build it for you, I say go with Dell.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 02:58:33 AM by whampyl03 »

uncamark

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 02:44:31 PM »
Is it true that you have the option of turning down a merchandise prize if you want to improve your tax situation, with the understanding that you're not getting another prize in its place ("Prize winners must meet eligibility requirements and win only announced prizes")?  It seems to me that it is the other choice than keeping it or donating it to charity, but that was also some years ago.

(The charity donation was something you would consider doing with the year's supply of Rice-a-Roni, the easy side dish you sautee and simmer for flavor perfection--Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat!--unless you really couldn't afford going to the grocery store.)

Matt Ottinger

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 02:49:52 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 02:44 PM\'] Is it true that you have the option of turning down a merchandise prize if you want to improve your tax situation, with the understanding that you're not getting another prize in its place [/quote]
 Yes, that much I can say with some certainty.  After your appearance, you can decline any prize you might have won.  You don't get anything in its place, but you don't have to declare it as income either.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 03:17:52 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 10:44 AM\'] Rice-a-Roni, the easy side dish you sautee and simmer for flavor perfection--Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat! [/quote]
Damn good!! I can see a new thread any moment now of fee plugs we all know and love.

OK, a lotta business here. First, THANKS for the PC advice. I'm happily surprised to hear there is pretty widespread consensus on any one hypothesis, and that is about Dell making a superior product. My only clue was that I had it on pretty good authority that Microsoft tests their software using Dells. And I do understand the "watered down" concept of components that are of lesser quality, yet still allow the superior specs to be quoted. I appreciate the education.

Secondly, yes, a contestant has only one option with a prize and that is to forfeit it outright. I kept $100 worth of Raisinettes and Goobers because I found out that I would receive coupons good at retailers as opposed to a dumptruck full of enough candy to send half of LA into a diabetic coma. On the other hand, boxes of Alpine Apple Cider Mix are still in the closet awaiting the next natural disaster. I ultimately learned to forfeit most of the small stuff for which I didn't have a direct use.

I threw a billable hour to my CPA who came back with a definitive answer on the tax question, and it appears to be different than all of our conjecture. Here's the righteous poop:

Fair Market Value is what unrelated parties will pay for an item in the open marketplace. My guy says don't be afraid to use it on the large prizes you may win, such as a motorhome, if you can find some good substantiation for the value you claim. That value, like the value of all prizes, is declared as regular income.

If I can sell a personal asset (not a business asset - something either won on a game show, purchased at a garage sale, or simply lying around the house) at a profit - everybody on e-bay, listen up - by the letter of the law I am required to report any profit on that item. But it is not reported as income, it is reported as a capital gain. (Capital gains are generally taxed at a far lower rate than ordinary income).

Curiously, the IRS will not allow you to claim a capital loss for an item you bought at $100 but were only able to sell for $90. In this kind of transaction gains are taxable, but losses may not be used to offset gains from sales that were profitable. You can use other kinds of capital losses (stock transactions, etc.) to offset the capital gains from these kinds of e-bay (non-business) profitable sales. If you buy and sell crap as a business, even if it is not your primary business, different rules apply and the business gains and/or losses are reported on Schedule C. But that's a whole other can o' crap than the personal tax implications we were talking about.

Going back to one of the original thoughts, no. I don't think it ever makes sense to blow a game on purpose to avoid paying tax on a prize. You can always make the decision to forfeit the prize later. But I guess saying you blew the game on purpose to avoid a tax liability does give you an excuse when trying to explain to a novice why you lost on national TV.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 03:27:35 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MikeK

• Martha!
Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 03:48:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 02:21 AM\'] First off, there is "e-machine", and there is "all the other names".
I understand the quality has improved a little from when they first came on the scene, but taking nothing away from Klaussie, I'm of the opinion that e-machines are piles of Grade A Crappe. [/quote]
 I don't disagree with your assessment of eMachines.  The general opinion at the office the Monday morning after I won the eMachine was congratulatory followed by "You're getting a piece of crap eMachine?!"  For a free machine, it's served us well--2 years of gaming, web page creation, video rendering and 'net surfing for me; 2+ years of Super Collapse, 'net connectivity, and some word processing for my parents and my sister.  Apparently I got the one good eMachine in the bunch.

And to make this relevant to the tax portion of this thread, I wasn't given a 1099 for the eMachine.  Maybe its value at the time the prize was awarded or by the end of the 2000 calendar year was below the taxable threshold, $599...not that I'm complaining.

clemon79

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 05:09:34 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 12:48 PM\'] For a free machine, it's served us well--2 years of gaming, web page creation, video rendering and 'net surfing for me; 2+ years of Super Collapse, 'net connectivity, and some word processing for my parents and my sister.  Apparently I got the one good eMachine in the bunch. [/quote]
 More to the point, you're not trying to do anything too terribly complicated with it. The point where you would start to run into trouble is if you were trying to run a high-end 3D game or something along those lines.

Randy, I can confirm that MS uses Dells and only Dells. So, for that matter, does Atari...the machine I am typing on right now is a Dimension 4600.

ITSBRY

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 06:10:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 02:17 PM\'] I'm happily surprised to hear there is pretty widespread consensus on any one hypothesis, and that is about Dell making a superior product. [/quote]
 I'll give another shout out to Dell.  I bought my machine about four years ago.  The only minor issue I've had with it is a bad DVD drive, which Dell swapped out for me.  No problems since.  I recently maxed the memory and upgraded from WinME to WinXP...my Dell is workin like it's brand new (thank gawd ME is gone...talk about a piece of crap!).

I don't have the best things to say about Dell tech support, but that's only based on one experience with them.  The important thing is...the problem (the DVD) was corrected.

My next purchase will most likely be from Dell, but I think my computer has at least a few more years left in it before it's obsolete.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

ChuckNet

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 06:53:05 PM »
I'll also echo the praises of Dell...in the 2+ yrs I've had it, it's been serving me well, and have rarely experienced slowdowns that often beset me on the old Quantex that provided my ATGS access from 96-02.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Brandon Brooks

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 07:15:43 PM »
Well, I'll be the first to gripe about Dell.

I've had by Dimension 8200 for a couple of years.   Sweet-ass-sweet computer.  Then I had a problem with it about a month ago.. the hard drive errored.  I called Dell and ask them what I could do... this incompetent told me to buy a new hard drive.  I was saddened because my thesis was on it, and I forgot to back it up.  Knowing that hard drives just don't die in two years, I Googled my problem.  Well whadaya know... the problem was easily solvable.  I guess the good thing out of this is that I found a cheap, 80 gig drive off of PriceWatch.

But this doesn't end here.  About a week ago, I some how got a booting error in Windows.  Now, I just knew this was fixable, but it was escaping me on how to do.  I call Dell again, and what does incompetent #2 say?  Reinstall WindowsXP.  I hung up on her in disgust, and figured it out myself.  Oh, and don't even THINK about getting a Compaq... it's pure-dee crap.

Lesson to be learned - Know your computer.  Dell's technical support is a shadow of what it once was (I associate the move to Bombay with a marked decrease in quality).  Dells are the way to go, but they aren't perfect.

Brandon Brooks

BrandonFG

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 07:21:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 06:15 PM\'] Oh, and don't even THINK about getting a Compaq... it's pure-dee crap. [/quote]
 <------What he said. Dell's incompetence (I'm going based off of Brandon B.'s statements alone) doesn't hold a candle to Compaq. God knows how many times I've nearly thrown my laptop out the window, after dealing with Compaq tech support (or lack thereof). How about 4 hard drive crashes in as many years? (from time to time, you can find an angry Compaq post in my livejournal lol) The problems have been somewhat resolved since we replaced Win ME (the devil) with Win 98, but now that I'm having spyware problems, I can only guess how long this will last. >:o

ObGameShows: Quicksilver was actually pretty good...as far as Stone-Stanley shows are concerned.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 07:27:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 04:15 PM\'] Knowing that hard drives just don't die in two years, I Googled my problem.  Well whadaya know... the problem was easily solvable. [/quote]
 What was it?
I call Dell again, and what does incompetent #2 say?  Reinstall WindowsXP.
I'll be the first to agree that Dell's tech support sucks. But using that as a buiying point doesn't work because EVERYONE'S tech support sucks...they're always going to try to get you to replace the part of restage the whole machine or what not because that is the path of least resistance. HP's or Compaq's isn't gonna be any better. Does EMachine even HAVE phone tech support?

(Atari's tech support is excellent. Too bad we don't make systems.)
Oh, and don't even THINK about getting a Compaq... it's pure-dee crap.
They're better than they were. My laptop is a Compaq and I'm fairly happy with it. Dell's better, tho. But with better comes price. I couldn't afford a Dell laptop at the time.
Lesson to be learned - Know your computer. 
Certainly doesn't hurt. And checking out Google or popping online onto IRC and finding a help channel or something will often get you better results than anyone putting the "dot" back into "dot-com".
Dells are the way to go, but they aren't perfect.
Nothing is. It's unfair to blame Dell for an industrywide problem.

Steve McClellan

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 07:50:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 04:27 PM\'] Does EMachine even HAVE phone tech support? [/quote]
 Yes, but not toll-free, and from what I've read here, about the same caliber as every other company's.

Brandon Brooks

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2004, 10:33:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 06:27 PM\'] What was it? [/quote]
My computer would not go past the Dell splash screen.  It would just go black.  The drive was still spinning, but nothing would happen.  Starting it in Safe Mode caused it to hang too.  I really did think my hard drive just died because I'd never seen it before.
I'll be the first to agree that Dell's tech support sucks. But using that as a buiying point doesn't work because EVERYONE'S tech support sucks...they're always going to try to get you to replace the part of restage the whole machine or what not because that is the path of least resistance. HP's or Compaq's isn't gonna be any better. Does EMachine even HAVE phone tech support?
Well, I'm not saying everyone's tech support does... I'm just saying Dell's (and Compaq's to a much larger degree) does.
(Atari's tech support is excellent. Too bad we don't make systems.)
Just as long as you all know what you're talking about, that's all I want.
They're better than they were. My laptop is a Compaq and I'm fairly happy with it. Dell's better, tho. But with better comes price. I couldn't afford a Dell laptop at the time.
I would not have bought a Dell two years ago if my Compaq desktop wasn't crap.  (My freshman year rooommate had a Compaq laptop he bought around the time I bought my desktop.  It completely died on him two years later.  He built his own computer.)  Whenever I had problems with it, Compaq would do things much worse than Dell, such as refuse to help me.  I'm sure things have much improved since the merger.
Certainly doesn't hurt. And checking out Google or popping online onto IRC and finding a help channel or something will often get you better results than anyone putting the "dot" back into "dot-com".
That's true.  If I would've thought/had access to another computer, I would've done that immediately in both situations.
Nothing is. It's unfair to blame Dell for an industrywide problem.
Not really blaming, per se.  Just don't want the buyer to get lulled into thinking that Dells are perfect.  I love my computer--not Dell's technical support.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 10:35:13 PM by Brandon Brooks »

clemon79

Better to be a Loser?
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2004, 12:05:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 07:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 06:27 PM\'] What was it? [/quote]
My computer would not go past the Dell splash screen.  It would just go black.  The drive was still spinning, but nothing would happen.  Starting it in Safe Mode caused it to hang too.  I really did think my hard drive just died because I'd never seen it before.
 [/quote]
 What was the fix, tho?