Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Leave The Format Alone  (Read 5879 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2004, 01:25:06 PM »
[quote name=\'TrplPlayRD\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 01:09 AM\'] The Challengers did make quite a bit of changes during their one season run. [/quote]
 I can think of exactly two: the change to the Ultimate Challenge from a qualify-after-three-wins game to a single question at the end of each show, and the speed round at the start of a match. Where is this "many" you speak of?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2004, 02:10:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 12:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'TrplPlayRD\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 01:09 AM\'] The Challengers did make quite a bit of changes during their one season run. [/quote]
I can think of exactly two: the change to the Ultimate Challenge from a qualify-after-three-wins game to a single question at the end of each show, and the speed round at the start of a match. Where is this "many" you speak of? [/quote]
 The last thing i want to do is go up against you, big guy...but there were at least 3 more....

1. the change from the progressive jackpot going up $5K every time someone tried to get it , to $1K per day it wasn't hit...

2. The lowering of the dollar amounts....originally, the categories went for $150, $200, $250,  then later down  to $`100, $150, $200...

3. The eventual elimination of the ultimate challenge round....

Does "5" count as a "many"???? For a one season show, i'd vote yes.

matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2004, 03:07:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 11:10 AM\'] 1. the change from the progressive jackpot going up $5K every time someone tried to get it , to $1K per day it wasn't hit...

2. The lowering of the dollar amounts....originally, the categories went for $150, $200, $250,  then later down  to $`100, $150, $200...

3. The eventual elimination of the ultimate challenge round.... [/quote]
 1) I don't consider enough of a major change to count, and I had no idea about 2 and 3...maybe they canned the show in my area before those happened. Mea culpa.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2004, 07:34:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 02:07 PM\']

3. The eventual elimination of the ultimate challenge round.... [/QUOTE]
1) I don't consider enough of a major change to count, and I had no idea about 2 and 3...maybe they canned the show in my area before those happened. Mea culpa. [/quote]
 The show was canned in a few cities before the season was over. I suspect those two format changes were done for budget reasons, like the changes for this season of Squares.

rugrats1

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2004, 01:00:17 PM »
Also, one other change for "The Challengers" occurred during the summer -- after the show's cancellation was announced, they stopped mentioning the show's air date. Beforehand, they mentioned this date to emphasize their use of current events and the fact that the show was taped the day before (?) air.

I think after the show was cancelled, "freshness" no longer mattered.

uncamark

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jun 4 2004, 12:00 PM\']Also, one other change for "The Challengers" occurred during the summer -- after the show's cancellation was announced, they stopped mentioning the show's air date. Beforehand, they mentioned this date to emphasize their use of current events and the fact that the show was taped the day before (?) air.[/quote]
They taped the Friday before the week the shows aired.

As I've seen cp write, after the writing was on the wall, they taped enough shows without an announced date so they could do reruns in August and end production with the July shows--if they'd stayed on, they had planned to do 260 shows a year without repeats, the first and probably only syndicated game show with a network-style (at that time) production schedule.

tvwxman

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2004, 04:16:12 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 06:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 02:07 PM\']

3. The eventual elimination of the ultimate challenge round.... [/QUOTE]
1) I don't consider enough of a major change to count, and I had no idea about 2 and 3...maybe they canned the show in my area before those happened. Mea culpa. [/QUOTE]
The show was canned in a few cities before the season was over. I suspect those two format changes were done for budget reasons, like the changes for this season of Squares. [/quote]
 Actually, the lowered payouts for questions was done quite early in the run....maybe a month in? As a nightly fan of it (at 1am in the freaking morning in Baltimore...but as a college student, i was up!)....it surprised me when i noticed the change...

ms
-------------

Matt

mbclev

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2004, 12:42:38 AM »
I think "Win, Lose or Draw" might have stayed on the air longer if the scoring system wasn't messed with so much.  Originally, charades were worth $200, and you had the option to hand off to a partner after 30 seconds, but if you did, the value dropped to $100.  By the time the last syndicated season rolled around (this last format started late in the network run), the person who drew did it without any guesses for 25 seconds, then the partners had to guess in the next 5 seconds for $200.  If they didn't solve the charade at that point, then they had the remaining 30 seconds to guess for $100, and steals were worth $50.  This was quite a confusing format to some people, in my opinion.

inturnaround

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2004, 02:20:21 AM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' date=\'Jun 5 2004, 12:42 AM\'] I think "Win, Lose or Draw" might have stayed on the air longer if the scoring system wasn't messed with so much.  Originally, charades were worth $200, and you had the option to hand off to a partner after 30 seconds, but if you did, the value dropped to $100.  By the time the last syndicated season rolled around (this last format started late in the network run), the person who drew did it without any guesses for 25 seconds, then the partners had to guess in the next 5 seconds for $200.  If they didn't solve the charade at that point, then they had the remaining 30 seconds to guess for $100, and steals were worth $50.  This was quite a confusing format to some people, in my opinion. [/quote]
 Yeah, but I don't think this had anything to do with WLoD's demise.

It was a show that ran its course and people just got tired of it. The Pictionary fad was over.

Thank God it wasn't "Celebrity Jenga".
Joe Coughlin     
Human

gsnstooge

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2004, 08:44:11 PM »
Play the Percentages had kept changing the format.  
If only the percent sign which was used on the premire had not malfuntcioned which caused the whole set to nearly be ripped, there is no telling how the format would have changed or even how long the show would have been on the air.

tvwxman

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2004, 08:52:12 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:44 PM\'] Play the Percentages had kept changing the format.  
If only the percent sign which was used on the premire had not malfuntcioned which caused the whole set to nearly be ripped, there is no telling how the format would have changed or even how long the show would have been on the air. [/quote]
 Who wants to field this one?

<no takers>

Sigh. Yes, PtP had many different formats.... No, The failure of the show didn't have a thing to do with the big malfunctioning prop. If the show's ratings were successful, they'd have fixed the damn sign.
-------------

Matt

TimK2003

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2004, 09:30:40 PM »
If you would count the Eubanks Card Sharks series as it's own entity, I think the 2nd Car Bonus Round (Winning on a survey question) stunk compared to the Joker round.  The odds were getting longer with the new bonus game in place.

Pretty much recycling the majority of a bonus game from a bad show (Mindreaders) was a bad idea -- even if it meant to cut down on the prize budget by increasing the odds.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 09:34:22 PM by TimK2003 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2004, 09:52:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:44 PM\'] Play the Percentages had kept changing the format. 
If only the percent sign which was used on the premire had not malfuntcioned which caused the whole set to nearly be ripped, there is no telling how the format would have changed or even how long the show would have been on the air. [/quote]
Who wants to field this one?

<no takers>

Sigh. Yes, PtP had many different formats.... No, The failure of the show didn't have a thing to do with the big malfunctioning prop. If the show's ratings were successful, they'd have fixed the damn sign. [/quote]
 No, no, no! You don't understand!  The reason Password Plus lasted 3 seasons is because they fixed the sign! :)

You just don't get it, do you?  Stooge fits well....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve McClellan

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2004, 10:45:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 06:30 PM\']I think the 2nd Car Bonus Round (Winning on a survey question) stunk compared to the Joker round.  The odds were getting longer with the new bonus game in place.[/quote]
No.

They asked these 10 lovely flight attendants: Have you ever had your rear end pinched by an overzealous Italian passenger? How many of these flight attendants said yes?

Thinking about it, there's a reason these stereotypes come about, so you can probably eliminate 0, 1, 2, and 3 right off the bat. Immediately, you have the exact same odds as you would with one Joker, *and* you're not just blindly guessing. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it's 8, 9, or all 10. If I'm right, I have better odds than someone with two Jokers.

Just because there are 11 choices, doesn't mean your chance of getting it right is 1 in 11. That'd be like saying that you'd only expect 10% of the 11-point questions on Povich Twenty-One to be answered correctly (and just 33% of the 1-pointers, for that matter), or that no more than one of each 33,554,432 Millionaire contestants would walk away with the top prize.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 10:45:45 PM by gameshowsteve »

uncamark

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2004, 03:13:45 PM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' date=\'Jun 4 2004, 11:42 PM\']I think "Win, Lose or Draw" might have stayed on the air longer if the scoring system wasn't messed with so much.  Originally, charades were worth $200, and you had the option to hand off to a partner after 30 seconds, but if you did, the value dropped to $100.  By the time the last syndicated season rolled around (this last format started late in the network run), the person who drew did it without any guesses for 25 seconds, then the partners had to guess in the next 5 seconds for $200.  If they didn't solve the charade at that point, then they had the remaining 30 seconds to guess for $100, and steals were worth $50.  This was quite a confusing format to some people, in my opinion.[/quote]
"WLOD" went though its format change, along with replacing Convy with Robb Weller, for only one reason:  Because the ratings were going south.  The belief was that the last season format allowed the folks at home to play along more, since the answer wasn't being revealed and there was that 25 seconds of just drawing and Hal Hidey think music with no shouting from the players to distract the viewers (not to mention Mo' Money rearing its head)--and since the NBC daytime version where the new format was tested was supposedly only cancelled because Disney thought its ratings were holding down the syndie version, they believed that the new format would actually be accepted by the audience.  It wasn't.