Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The last GOOD 'Dating Show'  (Read 3192 times)

Winkfan

The last GOOD 'Dating Show'
« on: June 01, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »
We all know that this type of game show is decried around here, but can anyone recall what was the last 'dating' and/or 'relationship' show that was actually very good?

If you ask me, the last good dating show to come along was Straight to the Heart in 1989. In fact, I think 1989 was the last good year for 'dating' shows, period. (BTW, Tattletales is the best 'relationship' show, hands down!)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Carol Wayne of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 07:16:39 PM »
I have never seen "Straight to the Heart."  But I will admit I used to like to watch "Personals/Night Games/Perfect Score" on CBS.  I liked pretty much all of the dating shows, Jim Lange DG was the all time best. I waited twenty plus years to see Bill Cullen's "Love Experts" and for me it was worth the wait.  I guess I'm just a romantic at heart.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JayC

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 10:03:10 PM »
I personally enjoyed MTV's Dismissed.  Their current show Room Raiders is good also, despite being 100% fake.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 10:05:13 PM by JayC »

starcade

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 10:06:31 PM »
I don't think there ever WAS a really good dating show.  I think that it soon degenerates into the fact that it's sex sex sex and really no real action except if the two really like each other (the aforementioned) or really hate each other (then nail down everything you can find).

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 10:09:46 PM »
I really liked Bzzz!, even though Annie Wood should've been shot with a tranquilizer gun.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 07:55:52 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 09:09 PM\'] I really liked Bzzz!, even though Annie Wood should've been shot with a tranquilizer gun. [/quote]
 Blind Date with Arlene Francis.

actually, I was a fan of Jeff McGregor's Dating Game. He made that show, and i'm surprised he didnt' host more shows...a combination of smarmy and genuine, in  my opinion...

also liked Bzzz cause it was different. And i thought Annie Woooooood was cute.

ms
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 08:18:29 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 06:55 AM\']
actually, I was a fan of Jeff McGregor's Dating Game. He made that show, and i'm surprised he didnt' host more shows...a combination of smarmy and genuine, in  my opinion...

[/quote]
He did host another relationship show, the short-lived Syndicated Love at First Sight in SUmmer 1992. Harry Eisenberg mentioned in his 1993 J! memoirs book that Jeff was considered to host the Trebek J!.

He was also a "model  of the week" on THe new Newlywed Game while doing The New DG, and in 1992 was the object of a woman's affection on Bob EUbanks' short-lived Infatuation.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 08:19:51 AM by zachhoran »

Robair

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 10:56:51 AM »
Nobody's mentioned "Infatuation" with Bob Eubanks yet. This was like the very early 90's and the premise was that people went on dates with people they secretly admired. It was a very sweet and very real show all about the most basic points of starting a relationship and discovering that that person you've been friends with all these years actually is in love with you.
--Robair

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 11:07:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 09:56 AM\'] Nobody's mentioned "Infatuation" with Bob Eubanks yet. This was like the very early 90's and the premise was that people went on dates with people they secretly admired. [/quote]
 Not all the people on the show had previously dated the person they were smitten with IIRC, at least not on their daily pre-taped on location bits. One lady on the show one day wasn't there to find a date, but rather a then 90-something woman who had reservations to be on the Titanic but did not go.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 12:40:02 PM »
On "Singled Out," I loved the first elimination round and the final round, but hated the middle round (why do you have someone doing stunts when the picker can't even see the stunt being performed?).  And it also suffered from that MTV tendency to stumble after a while when the host (that's you, Chris Hardwick) is tired of doing the show.

And "BZZZZ!" had an energy to it that was infectious, not to mention that it wasn't a "Dating Game" rip--everything was face-to-face.  And yeah, that Annie Wood is a babe (hopefully, most of you have also seen "Cellblock Sisters"--it pops up every so often on the premium channels).

Otherwise, feh--double feh for "ElimiDate."  Bet GSN will announce that it's acquiring the repeats by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 12:41:01 PM by uncamark »

AH3RD

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 02:29:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 05:43 PM\'] We all know that this type of game show is decried around here, but can anyone recall what was the last 'dating' and/or 'relationship' show that was actually very good?

If you ask me, the last good dating show to come along was Straight to the Heart in 1989. In fact, I think 1989 was the last good year for 'dating' shows, period. (BTW, Tattletales is the best 'relationship' show, hands down!)

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Carol Wayne of the Big Board!' [/quote]
 Can't agree with you more, Tam. TattleTales is the best!
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine