Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forgotten Pilots  (Read 7424 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 10:15:35 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 25 2004, 06:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:53 AM\']
Did you even freakin' read what Greek originally posted?

I guess it was Greek to him. :-)
 [/quote]
Heh...Donegan made a funny. :-) [/quote]
 As usual, though, he thought it was much funnier than it actually was.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 11:55:43 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'May 25 2004, 05:13 PM\'] I also remember seeing The Name Game hosted by Bob Eubanks. Two teams; each celebrity-peasant. One player of each team would compete to guess a famous name as it appeared one letter at a time. The winner would then have to describe that famous person to the partner within the time limit. The audience would then shout out answers to guessed by the winning team during the bonus round. The problem here was the audience kept shouting out the same names for both times the bonus game was played. [/quote]
 Your description of the Name Game bonus seems to be missing a word or two.  As it stands, it's clear as mud.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

ChuckNet

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 05:35:36 PM »
As usual, though, he thought it was much funnier than it actually was.

Where in the post did I imply that?

Chuck Donegan (The Puzzled "Chuckie Baby")

Jamey Greek

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 09:13:26 PM »
I know I might be flamed for this, but if those pilots I had mentioned ever made it as series, would they be remembered?  I understand those pilots we remember (i.e $50,000 A Minute, Top Secret etc.) would be, but would those pilots I mentioned, would they be remembered?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 09:18:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'May 27 2004, 08:13 PM\'] I know I might be flamed for this, but if those pilots I had mentioned ever made it as series, would they be remembered?  I understand those pilots we remember (i.e $50,000 A Minute, Top Secret etc.) would be, but would those pilots I mentioned, would they be remembered? [/quote]
 Come again?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 10:01:01 PM »
What about You Bet your Life with Richard Dawson?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 10:58:35 PM »
First off, I'm not even sure what you want, Jamey.  "Here's a list of pilots."  So-freakin'-what?  

The fact that they DIED in the pilot stage means that they didn't get to series.  They're not memorable because they weren't even that good.

Give us something to work with, Jamey, and you'll get a conversation.

-Travis
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2004, 11:10:19 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'May 25 2004, 05:13 PM\'] Two teams; each celebrity-peasant. [/quote]
 No doubt Serf Detergent would have sponsored the series.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2004, 03:43:59 AM »
Back in the golden age of network and syndicated game shows, pilots didn't go to series for a number of reasons:

It didn't sell at NATPE

Packager X has a better show and a long-standing successful track record

Packager Y has a cheaper show that's just as good

Looked good in development but didn't play in the studio (the Mindreaders syndrome)

We're interested in Goodson's revival of (insert name of Goodson show)

We needed to use up our pilot budget for the quarter so we commissioned yet another Bob Stewart pilot even though we didn't like the concept to begin with

The daytime VP is a moron and doesn't recognize quality when he sees it
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 03:23:36 PM by chris319 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2004, 07:00:25 AM »
We needed to use up our pilot budget for the quarter so we commissioned yet another Bob Stewart pilot even though we didn't like the concept to begin with

So THAT'S why!

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

aaron sica

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2004, 08:28:32 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'May 25 2004, 12:15 AM\'] ...and a few of us cringe over reminders of formats we sent producers who went ahead and developed them without acknowledging or contacting those who sent them..

It's the business, but one of the less nice parts of it.... [/quote]
 I came up with a TV version of "Bingo" when i was about 14, and sent it to the three major networks, complete with main game and bonus round.

Two years later, "Trump Card" debuted. I'm sure it was just coincidence but your comment makes me stop and think about it..

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2004, 08:56:50 AM »
Two years later, "Trump Card" debuted. I'm sure it was just coincidence but your comment makes me stop and think about it.

It was. The Brit game which "Trump Card" is based on - "Bob's Full House" -  premiered in '84 if memory serves.

What if any differences were between your "Bingo" formats and what ended up on TC?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

aaron sica

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2004, 09:06:40 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'May 28 2004, 08:56 AM\']
What if any differences were between your "Bingo" formats and what ended up on TC?

-Jason [/quote]
 It's been so long, I don't know if I kept a copy of the original letter or not, but I know the bonus round was the same premise - get "bingo" and win $10,000. My game was 60 seconds; I believe the show used 45.

However, when you come down to it, it's an idea that really anyone could have thought of - pretty basic game with pretty basic rules....

The Ol' Guy

Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2004, 11:00:28 AM »
Mine was actually titled Banko, and as a number from 1-25 was drawn, players answered toss-up questions for the right to win that numbered box on the board (I'll have to check my old rule sheet at home as I made a box version for myself - I don't remember having a free space). When a player answered correctly, a cash amount or a prize in that square was revealed and put in a "bank" for the first contestant to get 5 in a row. At least two squares were turnabouts, which gave you the chance to pick any space occupied by an opponent's marker and change it to your own if you answered another question correctly. Dan didn't repond right away on it, and since I was sending all kinds of ideas, it probably got set aside in my mind. I later had a conversation with an associate of Dan's, and we were discussing properties that were divided between Dan and Jack's estates, and Banko came up. It didn't ring right then, as isn't there a card game that has a similar sounding name (not the dice game bunco)? I thought it might have been something else.  Then I visit a certain personality's webste, and I see the host in front of a podium marked BANKO and holding a bingo-type card with what looked like individual categories. Talk about pissed! A couple of alterations, and it's rolling..at least as a property, if not a launched program. I'm delighted I had his ear and some respect - but obviously not enough. He kept me posted on the progress of a couple of other formats he had an interest in, but not this one.
For what it's worth, it wasn't until I got a copy of the EOTVGS that I found I had redeveloped many of the elements in a program I had never seen - Music Bingo. I thought it was original when I developed it, but it just confirms it's hard to find good game mechanics that haven't been done before.  But it's why I will not send anything to anyone these days without having my butt covered legally.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 11:05:32 AM by The Ol' Guy »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Forgotten Pilots
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2004, 03:27:05 PM »
But it's why I will not send anything to anyone these days without having my butt covered legally.
It's why we discourage posting game ideas here.