Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Overstaying your welcome  (Read 4450 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2004, 11:59:04 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 25 2004, 05:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 25 2004, 11:30 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:52 AM\']I've decided that Hot Potato should also be on the list. I went to Travis's HP page, and it says that teams kept playing till defeated (even if they don't win anything in the bonus round).[/quote]
But didn't NBC have a ten-end-game limit on winnings back then?  (Which was supposedly the reason why "$OTC" went to the Winner's Board--more often than not it was taking more than ten games to get someone all the way up the scale). [/quote]
$otC on the WInner's Board era took 11 wins to win it all(including the $50K). At the time of HP, WOF had a three show limit, Dream House had a six show limit(automatic house win after six days), MGHS hour had a five match limit, and $otC's limit on appearances was however long it took a player to win the house(shopping format was still used back then). I assume HP followed the usual B&E philosophy back then that players stay until defeated. [/quote]
 Right, but those were instituted by the show's producers, not the network, if Mark's post is correct, and I'm sure it is. So...as usual, ZHIFOS, and loaded with useless minute.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2004, 12:39:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'May 26 2004, 07:54 AM\']
). At the time of HP, WOF had a three show limit, Dream House had a six show limit(automatic house win after six days),

Those shows changed their bonus rounds several times.  When "Wheel" debuted, it was a three-show limit.  During the late '70s, it jumped to five.  Sometime in the '80s, they moved it back to three.[/quote]
Seems to me that "Wheel" was always a five-game limit in the beginning (complete with Chuck using the same verbiage to a champ on their 5th day that Fleming said on "J!"--"If you win today, you will retire as a five-time undefeated champion").  It was dropped down to three supposedly because they were getting letters from viewers saying that the champs were winning *too many* prizes--and Merv tended to be sensitive to the mail.

Some of you may find that concept of winning too much hard to believe.

pyrfan

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2004, 05:39:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:28 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:49 AM\']
If I'm not mistaken, once you won $20,000 on the Pyramid, that's the total you got. If you won any bonus money along the way, that was wiped out and the grand total was $20K.

That was apparently only the case during the ABC run, due to their winnings limit...back in the CBS $10K era, said amount was actually added to your previous total.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
Two versions of the show have been confused here, the 10 and the 20.  On the 10, winning $10K did not wipe out your other winnings.  I never had a problem with the prize structure there.

On the 20, Ian is correct that a 20K win wiped out any other winnings.  However, a 10K or 15K win did not.  My problem with the prize structure was that if you won the 10 or 15K, you said goodbye and never had a chance at the 20K.[/quote]
Actually, I think there's still a little confusion here. On both ABC's and CBS' 10K, the contestant's $10K was added to their prior winnings, but on the 20K, my understanding is that whenever you won the "big money," your new grand total was whatever the "big money" was -- $10K, $15K, or $20K. The previous dough from the Big 7s, 21-point bonuses, and prior trips to the winner's circle was wiped out. Is this everyone else's understanding of the '70s rules?

Brendan

starcade

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2004, 10:07:57 PM »
Not so ridiculous, especially if the benefits of staying on might outweigh winning the bonus round...

Don Howard

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2004, 10:46:45 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 26 2004, 11:39 AM\'] It was dropped down to three supposedly because they were getting letters from viewers saying that the champs were winning *too many* prizes--and Merv tended to be sensitive to the mail.

[/quote]
 I'd be curious to see such a letter.
Dear Mr. Griffin,
I believe it is unfair for a single player to be able to win
six ceramic kangaroos and two spice racks. This ruins the
show for me. I'm switching the channel and watching Gambit
from now on.