Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Overstaying your welcome  (Read 4446 times)

Jay Temple

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 10:59:31 PM »
To my way of thinking, the only show where it might make sense is The $20,000 Pyramid, and even then it's questionable.  On the 10 and even the New 25, you could win the title amount plus some by not winning it all on your first try, but the 20 was the worst-conceived prize structure of all (excluding special events) because the "perfect" player would never have a chance at the title amount.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Ian Wallis

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 09:10:35 AM »
On the 10 and even the New 25, you could win the title amount plus some by not winning it all on your first try, but the 20 was the worst-conceived prize structure of all (excluding special events) because the "perfect" player would never have a chance at the title amount.

If I'm not mistaken, once you won $20,000 on the Pyramid, that's the total you got.  If you won any bonus money along the way, that was wiped out and the grand total was $20K.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 11:49:40 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, once you won $20,000 on the Pyramid, that's the total you got. If you won any bonus money along the way, that was wiped out and the grand total was $20K.

That was apparently only the case during the ABC run, due to their winnings limit...back in the CBS $10K era, said amount was actually added to your previous total.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 11:52:53 AM »
I've decided that Hot Potato should also be on the list. I went to Travis's HP page, and it says that teams kept playing till defeated (even if they don't win anything in the bonus round).

uncamark

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2004, 12:30:52 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:52 AM\']I've decided that Hot Potato should also be on the list. I went to Travis's HP page, and it says that teams kept playing till defeated (even if they don't win anything in the bonus round).[/quote]
But didn't NBC have a ten-end-game limit on winnings back then?  (Which was supposedly the reason why "$OTC" went to the Winner's Board--more often than not it was taking more than ten games to get someone all the way up the scale).

JMFabiano

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2004, 05:56:51 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:52 AM\'] I've decided that Hot Potato should also be on the list. I went to Travis's HP page, and it says that teams kept playing till defeated (even if they don't win anything in the bonus round). [/quote]
 Tat wuzn't a funi thoh (sorry couldn't resist)

Dunno if I missed it, but I can't believe I didn't see Super Password mentioned...or did they have a 5 win = undefeated rule too?  (Same for the latter months of Password Plus)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

zachhoran

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 06:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 25 2004, 11:30 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:52 AM\']I've decided that Hot Potato should also be on the list. I went to Travis's HP page, and it says that teams kept playing till defeated (even if they don't win anything in the bonus round).[/quote]
But didn't NBC have a ten-end-game limit on winnings back then?  (Which was supposedly the reason why "$OTC" went to the Winner's Board--more often than not it was taking more than ten games to get someone all the way up the scale). [/quote]
 $otC on the WInner's Board era took 11 wins to win it all(including the $50K). At the time of HP, WOF had a three show limit, Dream House had a six show limit(automatic house win after six days), MGHS hour had a five match limit, and $otC's limit on appearances was however long it took a player to win the house(shopping format was still used back then). I assume HP followed the usual B&E philosophy back then that players stay until defeated.

zachhoran

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2004, 06:48:40 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 25 2004, 04:56 PM\']

Dunno if I missed it, but I can't believe I didn't see Super Password mentioned...or did they have a 5 win = undefeated rule too?  (Same for the latter months of Password Plus) [/quote]
 P+ had a seven match limit, SP had a five match limit.

Don Howard

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2004, 06:54:38 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:52 AM\'] I've decided that Hot Potato should also be on the list. [/quote]
 I've decided that you're wrong. On Hot Potato, if your team won the bonus money, you were able to continue to play. Your team's jackpot was reset to $5000, but your trio was not sent packing. As I understand the topic, we're listing shows where a bonus round win meant you were done, such as on TNN's 10 Seconds starring singing sensation Dan Miller (not Sajak's sidekick).

zachhoran

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2004, 07:14:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 25 2004, 05:54 PM\'] As I understand the topic, we're listing shows where a bonus round win meant you were done, such as on TNN's 10 Seconds starring singing sensation Dan Miller (not Sajak's sidekick). [/quote]
 All the old-school TNN game shows fit that category.

tvwxman

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2004, 08:05:47 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 25 2004, 06:14 PM\']
All the old-school TNN game shows fit that category. [/quote]
 As opposed to the "New Wave" TNN game shows?

or "Gangsta" Game Shows?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jay Temple

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2004, 11:28:30 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 25 2004, 10:49 AM\']
If I'm not mistaken, once you won $20,000 on the Pyramid, that's the total you got. If you won any bonus money along the way, that was wiped out and the grand total was $20K.

That was apparently only the case during the ABC run, due to their winnings limit...back in the CBS $10K era, said amount was actually added to your previous total.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Two versions of the show have been confused here, the 10 and the 20.  On the 10, winning $10K did not wipe out your other winnings.  I never had a problem with the prize structure there.

On the 20, Ian is correct that a 20K win wiped out any other winnings.  However, a 10K or 15K win did not.  My problem with the prize structure was that if you won the 10 or 15K, you said goodbye and never had a chance at the 20K.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Craig Karlberg

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 05:16:19 AM »
Thank heavens they reworked the prize structure on the $25K/$100K Pyramid.  That $10K first try/$25K second try format was perfect no matter if the player won any bonus noney & or prizes.  The $20K Pyramid structure seems to me the most flawed in a game show as far as I can tell.

Steve McClellan

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 05:30:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 26 2004, 02:16 AM\'] That $10K first try/$25K second try format was perfect no matter if the player won any bonus noney & or prizes. [/quote]
 So, you're saying that someone who wins one bonus game (their second of the day) deserves every bit as much money as one who wins two? GEEZ!

Ian Wallis

Overstaying your welcome
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 08:54:32 AM »
). At the time of HP, WOF had a three show limit, Dream House had a six show limit(automatic house win after six days),

Those shows changed their bonus rounds several times.  When "Wheel" debuted, it was a three-show limit.  During the late '70s, it jumped to five.  Sometime in the '80s, they moved it back to three.

When "Dream House" started, I believe a couple had to win seven times to automatically win the house.  They quickly reduced it to five, and then upped it to six towards the end of the run.  Strange how they kept changing it...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!