Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting Find  (Read 2998 times)

bwood

Interesting Find
« on: May 21, 2004, 12:22:25 AM »
I was visiting the mall today, when I decided to go into the "Dollar Zone" store, where everything's $1. I thought maybe I could find some props for my BtC game.
I was walking down the aisle when I came to some DVD's. I just glanced at them and saw a DVD of "You Bet Your Life". They had a whole lot of them, among other classic TV shows and movies. It was only $1 so I picked it up.
I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, for only a $1 there has to be something wrong with it (maybe poor quality or something, but the case says "Digitally Remastered").
It's in a cardboard sleeve and it has Groucho on the front. On the back, it just says "Groucho Marx hosts a quiz show which features a series of competitive questions and a great deal of humorous conversation. 90 Minutes.
It's made by "Trasure Box Collection. I'll get around to watching in sometime. If it's not any good I still think it's neat and I'd only be out a buck.

BrandonFG

Interesting Find
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 12:35:12 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'May 20 2004, 11:22 PM\'] It's made by "Trasure Box Collection. [/quote]
 That's your first sign that the DVD is no good. :-)

J/K, nice find, hope it turns out well. (Why can't our dollar stores have these type of finds?)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Interesting Find
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 01:28:51 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 20 2004, 11:35 PM\'] [quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'May 20 2004, 11:22 PM\'] It's made by "Trasure Box Collection. [/quote]
That's your first sign that the DVD is no good. :-)

J/K, nice find, hope it turns out well. (Why can't our dollar stores have these type of finds?) [/quote]
 So Brandon, that DVD of "Super Pay Cards" wasn't as good as you expected, huh? ;)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Interesting Find
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 01:56:59 AM »
I have that DVD.  The picture quality is not bad and it has the DeSoto commercials.  They dubbed it off a disc originally issued by Platinum because the Platinum logo will sometimes appear in the corner.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Craig Karlberg

Interesting Find
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 04:48:49 AM »
Boy, now we get to the point where DVDs are a buck!  What's next?

sshuffield70

Interesting Find
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 09:58:18 AM »
Well, I did hear of a raid a short time back at a dollar store selling fake goods.  Wonder if the DVD is fake, too.  Has to be since it's THAT cheap.  Either that or pirated.

Jimmy Owen

Interesting Find
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 10:48:28 AM »
All of the movies and shows I saw were the usual public domain titles, so the only cost would be the disc and the cardboard sleeve.  They're probably making 75 cents profit on every sale.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

sshuffield70

Interesting Find
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 11:22:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 21 2004, 09:48 AM\'] All of the movies and shows I saw were the usual public domain titles, so the only cost would be the disc and the cardboard sleeve.  They're probably making 75 cents profit on every sale. [/quote]
 I'm just wondering how even recent titles get thrown in public domain.  Even 1950's shows with the 1976 copyright changes should still have been under protection.  And of course, there's been more changes and protections since then.  I guess that's why I'm wondering about it.

I recall even seeing some "Dick Van Dyke" shows in the "public domain" and that was a '60s show.

bwood

Interesting Find
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 02:49:05 PM »
I took an Electronic Media class and we learned about this. It looks like certain episodes only are in the public domain. I found these sites in a quick Google search:

http://www.topiclink.com/info/article?page=5

http://www.fesfilms.com/masters.html

Funny thing is, that store had most if not all of these titles listed on the 1st site. These people are probably making a fortune on these things.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 02:58:55 PM by bwood »