Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pay Cards 1973  (Read 5389 times)

rugrats1

Pay Cards 1973
« on: May 15, 2004, 10:46:42 PM »
Alot of us know about the 1968-69 "Pay Cards", which originated from New York and Cincinnati, and the 1981 "Super Pay Cards", which originated from Montreal. (Art James, of course, hosted both versions.)

But did you know that there was version of "Pay Cards" that was actually produced in Montreal between the two versions, in 1973?

This version wasn't listed in the "Encyclopedia", and I didn't know about it until tonight, when I saw this entry at Ryerson's website below:

http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/ccf/networks/CTV...s/PayCards.html

The article mentioned that this show was hosted by a "U.S. talk show host", but didn't give a name. Probably not Art James, as he hosted only game shows (as far as I know).

Anyone remember this version?

brianhenke

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:17:17 AM »
That version of Pay Cards was seen on Wonderama (with Bob McAllister)'s mid-1970s Game Show salute.  

Brian

Iowa is the North Star State?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Craig Karlberg

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 04:35:14 AM »
I DO remember that version & it just so happens that the bonus round used was the SAME format as the Super Pay Cards round I've played on the Flashgames website.  It started with 4 cards with 4 seconds to memorize them, then remembering the number of that card the player was drawn.  If correct, they moved to 8 cards for 8 seconds.  Completion of that level meant 12 cards for 12 seconds.  Not sure about the payouts but they were a little less than the '81-'82 version.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 10:37:05 AM »
I DO remember that version & it just so happens that the bonus round used was the SAME format as the Super Pay Cards round I've played on the Flashgames website. It started with 4 cards with 4 seconds to memorize them...

...wow.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

mbclev

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 12:56:27 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 15 2004, 09:46 PM\']
http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/ccf/networks/CTV...s/PayCards.html

[/quote]
 Are there any other CTV shows besides "Pay Cards" mentioned on this web site?  I'm interested in other Canadian game shows (mentioned in a much earlier thread) and also a show that I was a big fan of that ran on CTV from 1976-78 and starred singer Julie Amato (who was a regular panelist on CTV's "Celebrity Dominoes" from 1975-76).

rugrats1

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 03:40:52 PM »
Are there any other CTV shows besides "Pay Cards" mentioned on this web site?

Yes; you can find a list of many CTV shows between 1961 and 2003 here:

http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/ccf/networks/net...rogramming.html

It has listings for many game shows, including "Celebrity Dominoes" and "Definition". However, it does not have much of a description for "All About Faces" (the author probably hasn't read the "Encyclopedia").

mmb5

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 03:49:35 PM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' date=\'May 16 2004, 11:56 AM\'] [/QUOTE]
Are there any other CTV shows besides "Pay Cards" mentioned on this web site?  I'm interested in other Canadian game shows (mentioned in a much earlier thread) and also a show that I was a big fan of that ran on CTV from 1976-78 and starred singer Julie Amato (who was a regular panelist on CTV's "Celebrity Dominoes" from 1975-76). [/quote]
 The only game show with Julie Amato mentioned in TV North is This is the Law from 1971-76, a sort of I've Got a Secret for guessing obscure laws, but she's listed as the panelist, not the host.

And the book doesn't have anything about Celebrity Dominoes, either.  Are you sure that wasn't an SCTV skit?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

rugrats1

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 03:54:48 PM »
And the book doesn't have anything about Celebrity Dominoes, either. Are you sure that wasn't an SCTV skit?

Yes; it was a genuine Canadian game show, as it was scheduled in the Canadian TV listings.

In the "TV North" book, Peter Kenter said that he wasn't able to cover some CTV shows, as the network was uncooperative in providing information.

As "TV North", Kenter has been frequenting the "Vintage Detroit TV and Movie Board", giving his insight on Canadian, Detroit and border TV:

http://pub116.ezboard.com/bvintagedetroittvandmovieboard

dzinkin

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 05:26:38 PM »
On a related note, I recently finished reading CTV: The Television Wars, a history of CTV by Susan Gittins, and was amazed at the numerous slams at game shows noted in the book; apparently, those in charge of determining "Canadian content" didn't think game shows qualified.

According to the book, in the fall of 1961, CTV affiliates were given twelve shows, of which five were Canadian.  Three of those were game shows: Showdown, 20 Questions and Take a Chance.  Viewers "began referring to CTV as 'The Quiz Show Network' and turned elsewhere."

Heck, I'd like to see a network have so many quiz shows that it becomes known primarily for them... if CTV went back to that, it might even convince me to look at a gray-market satellite system. :-)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 05:29:17 PM by dzinkin »

Jimmy Owen

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 05:39:53 PM »
If you look at the entry for "Super Pay Cards", it mentions that Art James was brought back from the earlier Canadian series, so I am assuming Art hosted that one as well.  There is an entry for "Julie," which was a variety series with Julie Amato.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rugrats1

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 06:58:07 PM »
If you look at the entry for "Super Pay Cards", it mentions that Art James was brought back from the earlier Canadian series, so I am assuming Art hosted that one as well.

Kind of hard to do, at least during 1973, as Art was still hosting "Who, What or Where" for NBC through just after New Years, 1974.

zachhoran

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 07:29:58 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 16 2004, 05:58 PM\']

Kind of hard to do, at least during 1973, as Art was still hosting "Who, What or Where" for NBC through just after New Years, 1974. [/quote]
 He could have done it, Jim Perry and Geoff Edwards and Alex Trebek hosted stateside shows as well as Canuck-based shows that aired concurrently.

Jimmy Owen

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 08:38:04 PM »
A handful of those shows which had no US counterparts were listed as Goodson-Todman shows.  Hmmm.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 10:40:05 PM »
As long as we're on a Canadian thread, does anybody know about a sixties show called A Kin To Win?  I have the home game, and honestly, I can't get through the rules without my head hurting.  Something to do with families playing as a team, figuring out whether each player in turn gets his question right, and lining up correct answers on a large game board.  The 1962 copyright is credited to "New Merrill Enterprises".  Any idea if that's the good Mr. Heatter?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

Pay Cards 1973
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 09:06:47 AM »
And the book doesn't have anything about Celebrity Dominoes, either. Are you sure that wasn't an SCTV skit?

"Celebrity Dominoes" aired on CTV weekday afternoons from 1975-76.  There was also a weekly primetime version as well, but it was cancelled by Christmas 1975.  Some of the celebrities appearing on "Dominoes" included Bob Denver and Henny Youngman.

"Pay Cards" was on CTV from 1973-75 and was hosted by Paul Hanover, who also hosted "It's Your Move" on CTV from 1977-79.

Heck, I'd like to see a network have so many quiz shows that it becomes known primarily for them... if CTV went back to that, it might even convince me to look at a gray-market satellite system. :-)

At least that's still an option for you.  I've had one for 12 years, but the Canadian government is making it harder and harder to own one.  Companies like BellExpressVu (which I will NEVER spend my money on) have lobbied the government by donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to make new laws making them illegal and increasing penalties to anyone who owns one.  There are still close to 1 million homes in Canada that have those gray-market systems.

Most Canadians resent the crap the CRTC tries to ram down our throats.  Long live gray-market!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!