Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A good show for GSN primetime?  (Read 4776 times)

JayC

A good show for GSN primetime?
« on: May 08, 2004, 06:15:33 PM »
Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum, but anyway...

How about putting American Gladiators reruns on GSN? It would be A LOT better than the crap they are putting in primetime now to try to get a younger audience. It was a popular show back in it's day, and I think the reruns while on Spike TV were somewhat popular, and it could be popular on GSN. I'm pretty sure kids, teens, and adults would all want to watch American Gladiators, and it is a great show for primetime. GSN could probably get every season also. There's also enough episodes that it could air during daytime also. GSN wants non traditional game shows, and American Gladiators is a GREAT non traditional game show.

Thoughts?

adamjk

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 06:16:43 PM »
That's not a bad idea

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 07:20:08 PM »
It was a good show, but it has a dated late '80's look to it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 07:23:21 PM »
Gladiators wouldn't be a bad choice of shows for the new GSN. But, would GSN be free to pick up Win Ben Stein's Money at this point, or does Comedy Central still have the rights to air the reruns?

JayC

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 07:24:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 8 2004, 06:20 PM\'] It was a good show, but it has a dated late '80's look to it. [/quote]
 Yeah, the first season has a pretty toned down trashy look, but all the other seasons would be suitable enough, espically any season after season 2.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 09:59:58 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 8 2004, 06:15 PM\'] How about putting American Gladiators reruns on GSN? It would be A LOT better than the crap they are putting in primetime now to try to get a younger audience. It was a popular show back in it's day, and I think the reruns while on Spike TV were somewhat popular, and it could be popular on GSN. ... [/quote]
 I loved AG, but I've seen the four seasons inside and out on USA, and at least USA let us hear that excellent Bill Conti theme.  Season 5 was the best, IMO, but it clearly jumped the shark for S6 (not for Nitro's return, though).

BTW, is it still on Spike?

ObGS: Myke Horton, aka Gemini, was a contestant on PYL.  His best event was the Joust.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 12:29:20 AM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 8 2004, 03:15 PM\'] How about putting American Gladiators reruns on GSN? It Thoughts? [/quote]
 Sounds good to me. THAT is a game. :)

(Frankly, "rigged" programming like RollerGames might be worth a second chance, too.)

(Note I said "RollerGames", the figure-eight roller-derby that debuted the same season as AG, not "RollerJam", the piss-poor inline version that Spike (as The New TNN) threw at the wall to see if it'd stick. The storylines on RG were much more fun. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 01:32:40 AM »
Well I've only seen the British version, but from what I know about the show, I think it would be a great fit.

Actually, if somehow they can get rid of Tony the Tiger leaping about in the opening sequence, the UK version would repurpose quite well - no random British trivia, and the speaking isn't the key part of the show, so there's no real concern about accents. Except that the UK version did get sickeningly WWE like at times.

whampyl03

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 01:50:29 AM »
That's an EXCELLENT idea.  

It should be fair game if Viacom doesn't have there paws grasped on it.

JayC

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 10:34:50 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 8 2004, 08:59 PM\'] Season 5 was the best, IMO

BTW, is it still on Spike?
 [/quote]
 I haven't seen season 5 in a long time, but I have heard a lot of good things about it.  Season 4  was my favorite out of the seasons Spike actually showed.   And no, it's not currently on Spike.

dickoon

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 02:13:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'May 9 2004, 06:32 AM\'] Well I've only seen the British version, but from what I know about the show, I think it would be a great fit. [/quote]
 Mmm. While it's a nice idea and one I like, I am rather more lukewarm about this; given that Who Dares Wins? didn't do well, suggesting that even game show fans don't really care about overseas game shows, I'm not sure why Gladiators (sic - no prefix) would do better. (The UK showed at least one series of a worldwide champions' tournament, International Gladiators, and Russia-versus-South-Africa matches drew a fraction - a half or a third? - of the viewing figures that a domestic match would have done.) There's also the issue about UK hours being slightly longer than US hours, but this could easily be remedied by cutting out some of the interviews and the occasional later-series clips of the Gladiators monkeying around outdoors. Which would, in fact, be an improvement.

I fear that referee John Anderson would require subtitles.

tommycharles

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 05:52:05 PM »
[quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'May 9 2004, 01:13 PM\']
Mmm. While it's a nice idea and one I like, I am rather more lukewarm about this; given that Who Dares Wins? didn't do well, suggesting that even game show fans don't really care about overseas game shows, I'm not sure why Gladiators (sic - no prefix) would do better. (The UK showed at least one series of a worldwide champions' tournament, International Gladiators, and Russia-versus-South-Africa matches drew a fraction - a half or a third? - of the viewing figures that a domestic match would have done.) There's also the issue about UK hours being slightly longer than US hours, but this could easily be remedied by cutting out some of the interviews and the occasional later-series clips of the Gladiators monkeying around outdoors. Which would, in fact, be an improvement.

I fear that referee John Anderson would require subtitles. [/quote]
 Indeed Anderson would be a little hard to understand, but people got used to Carol Smiley (somewhat unfortunatly :-p).

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 08:43:09 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 8 2004, 06:23 PM\']Gladiators wouldn't be a bad choice of shows for the new GSN. But, would GSN be free to pick up Win Ben Stein's Money at this point, or does Comedy Central still have the rights to air the reruns?[/quote]
COM has the exclusive rights to "WBSM" for at least another year before Disney can sell it to others as either format or episodes.

And if Sony acquires MGM, the current owners of "AG," it would almost be a fait accompli that that show would air on the channel (I believe Spike isn't airing it right now).

CaseyAbell

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 03:18:17 PM »
Something else has to go into the 9:00 slot sooner rather than later, because the 26 eps of Dog Eat Dog can't sustain rerun abuse very long. But AG has bounced around the teevee universe for a while. GSN might take a flyer on a small number of shows, but I don't see it as a huge numbers-grabber after all these years. There's probably a reason Spike dropped it.