Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud special (Combs) Fan fic  (Read 11792 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Family Feud special (Combs) Fan fic
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2004, 04:26:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 3 2004, 02:55 PM\']
This is another new rule I shouldn't have worry about violating.  When it comes to writing, I'm better at commentary, jokes, and source code.  If I could write fiction, I'd be working for Fox News Channel. [/quote]
No more calls please, we have our winner for "Line of the day"!!! :) [/quote]
Actually, one of my former students writes for Fox News Channel.  When I heard, I was so proud of him.  Next stop, a job in journalism! [/quote]
 If you listen carefully, you can hear Mr. Zinkin crossing all three of your names off his holiday card list.  Your loss is my gain; Dave sends the greatest cards, and the pieces of legal tender he sends as gifts aren't half bad either!

dzinkin

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2004, 04:56:40 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:26 PM\'] If you listen carefully, you can hear Mr. Zinkin crossing all three of your names off his holiday card list.  Your loss is my gain; Dave sends the greatest cards, and the pieces of legal tender he sends as gifts aren't half bad either! [/quote]
 Actually, I am a recovering Fox fanatic, so these sorts of comments are good therapy for me.  In fact, I told Connecticut Matt that he could take credit for converting me if he liked, since I'm more likely to watch Jennings than O'Reilly nowadays.

But since Connecticut Matt didn't take me up on that offer, yes, you still get all the legal tender. ;-)

tvwxman

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2004, 05:28:14 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 3 2004, 03:56 PM\']
Actually, I am a recovering Fox fanatic, so these sorts of comments are good therapy for me.  In fact, I told Connecticut Matt that he could take credit for converting me if he liked, since I'm more likely to watch Jennings than O'Reilly nowadays.

But since Connecticut Matt didn't take me up on that offer, yes, you still get all the legal tender. ;-) [/quote]
 If conversion really was on my list of job abilities, Ida converted ABC primetime into something watchable a long time ago :)

But hey, feel free to send me legal tender anytime you want...I won't even prorate the fees!

ms
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

adamjk

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2004, 06:07:20 PM »
Adam, what you have here is a transcript of a fictional celebrity episode of Family Feud, with no parody, very little humor, and really no "storyline" per se. I'm not sure I would be interested in WATCHING this episode, much LESS reading it.

I understand and respect your viewpoint on this. But you mean to tell me, you didn't find any of the jokes the least bit funny?

BTW, I didn't realize posting this would start such an uproar. If I had known it would get the response it has, I never would have posted it. Not only that, but up till now I really didn't get any negative responses. Everyone I showed it to seemed to like it. That's why I so shocked at the negative comments. I do regret posting this though now that's has all happened though.

dzinkin

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2004, 06:18:48 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:07 PM\']I understand and respect your viewpoint on this. But you mean to tell me, you didn't find any of the jokes the least bit funny?[/quote]
I can't speak for everyone here, but personally, no, I didn't find them funny.
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:07 PM\']BTW, I didn't realize posting this would start such an uproar. If I had known it would get the response it has, I never would have posted it. Not only that, but up till now I really didn't get any negative responses. Everyone I showed it to seemed to like it. That's why I so shocked at the negative comments. I do regret posting this though now that's has all happened though.[/quote]
Did you simply not receive any negative responses, or did you get actual positive responses?  I found exactly one response on golden-road.net, and it wasn't positive...

http://www.golden-road.net/modules.php?nam...iewtopic&t=4001

The fact that others may not have responded doesn't mean they liked it.

adamjk

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2004, 06:22:05 PM »
Well, not withstanding the golden-road comment, when I would show it to my friends, they liked it. One of my friends, found it really funny.

dzinkin

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2004, 06:25:51 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 3 2004, 06:22 PM\'] Well, not withstanding the golden-road comment, when I would show it to my friends, they liked it. One of my friends, found it really funny. [/quote]
But you said you didn't get any negative responses, yet you did.  "I showed it to my friends and they liked it" does not translate to "everyone I showed it to seemed to like it."

It seems clear that Matt S. was right -- you're fishing for compliments.  In the process, you're ignoring entirely legitimate criticism.  If you really want to write successfully, I'd suggest taking his advice.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:26:11 PM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2004, 06:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 05:28 PM\']If conversion really was on my list of job abilities, Ida converted ABC primetime into something watchable a long time ago :)[/quote]
Point taken. :-D

[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 05:28 PM\']But hey, feel free to send me legal tender anytime you want...I won't even prorate the fees![/quote]
Good, you're back on the list. :-)

Particleman

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2004, 08:24:52 AM »
Adam, while I don't think anyone liked your story too much, I think mostly everyone can at least appreciate your enthusiasm.  With time and experience, you'll get better and better at it.  Look at my software for example.  My first implimentation of it SUCKED!!  The graphics weren't good, the sounds were tinny, the panels didn't flip...it was just one executable file for each question (nott game) and it wasn't even customizable.  With time and experience, it's become a much better program.

Maybe it would help if you read some other fan-fiction works, game show related or not.  You might try to find some writing tips on the 'net or mabye consider staying awake in English class ;).  Just don't let it get you down.